Newbie - First round on Clomid

So I met with my OB yesterday, we decided we will give Clomid a try before IUI. She put me right onto 100mg of Clomid. Even with my insurance the Clomid was $80! Ouch!

I started my Prometrium last night to make me get a period. Day 10 of Prometrium will be Dec 17th. I should start my period on the 18th. Day 1 of Clomid should be Dec 20th through Dec 24th (days 3-7).

OB said for me to start ovulation testing on CD 10 (Dec 27th - hubby’s Birthday :wink: ). If no LH surge by CD 16 then possibly try a trigger shot (no idea what that is?). If no LH surge by CD 30-35 then we know the Clomid isn’t making me ovulate and we might just go straight to IUI

Can anyone give me some ideas about what the Clomid will be like? I’ve heard hot flashes, mood swings, etc. I just want to be prepared.

Doc was talking about a trigger shot and follicles, no clue what all that means. Can anyone give me some more info?

Here goes!

[QUOTE=Waiting4Peanut]So I met with my OB yesterday, we decided we will give Clomid a try before IUI. She put me right onto 100mg of Clomid. Even with my insurance the Clomid was $80! Ouch!

I started my Prometrium last night to make me get a period. Day 10 of Prometrium will be Dec 17th. I should start my period on the 18th. Day 1 of Clomid should be Dec 20th through Dec 24th (days 3-7).

OB said for me to start ovulation testing on CD 10 (Dec 27th - hubby’s Birthday :wink: ). If no LH surge by CD 16 then possibly try a trigger shot (no idea what that is?). If no LH surge by CD 30-35 then we know the Clomid isn’t making me ovulate and we might just go straight to IUI

Can anyone give me some ideas about what the Clomid will be like? I’ve heard hot flashes, mood swings, etc. I just want to be prepared.

Doc was talking about a trigger shot and follicles, no clue what all that means. Can anyone give me some more info?

Here goes![/QUOTE]

:welcome: :welcome:

Thanks for joining Crystal!!!

Well lets see, I just finished my first round of Clomid… Now i’m waiting to ovulate, yay lol… anyways My body took to the Clomid pretty well i think… I took it at night… easier to handle the side effects… Hot flashes, mood swings, & the 4th day of the Clomid I had ovulation like pain… which I have never felt before… excruciating!! I’m hoping I didnt’ ovualte early… I havent’ had the trigger shot, but alot of other women on here have. I’m guessing it’s to help mature the Follies (eggs) for ovulation… Hope this helps…

I’ve learned so much on here! SO ask away!! many ppl will respond :slight_smile:

I just did my first round of Clomid too, 100 mgs., CDs 5-9 and had NO side effects whatsoever. I am in the TWW right now, 4 DPO. The only issue I had was some cramping 3 DPO, but none of the headaches, hot flashes, etc. that I had heard about others experiencing.

Did you ladies use the Ovulation Predictor Tests to figure out when you ovulated? That’s the part that confuses me the worst. I bought a bulk of the dip stick ovulation tests so I can test more than once a day if I want, but it seems like the only difference is that the test line is darker than the control line when you are getting an LH surge. Will the difference in lines be significant? And then I want to time sex 12-36 hours after I get that LH surge, right? What CD did you start your ovulation tests?

I should have been taking notes at the Doc yesterday, but my mind was all over the place.

[QUOTE=Waiting4Peanut]Did you ladies use the Ovulation Predictor Tests to figure out when you ovulated? That’s the part that confuses me the worst. I bought a bulk of the dip stick ovulation tests so I can test more than once a day if I want, but it seems like the only difference is that the test line is darker than the control line when you are getting an LH surge. Will the difference in lines be significant? And then I want to time sex 12-36 hours after I get that LH surge, right? What CD did you start your ovulation tests?

I should have been taking notes at the Doc yesterday, but my mind was all over the place.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i’m currently using the dip sticks… I keep them all so I can compare them… They are pretty confusing… I test at noon and 6pm… I started my ovulation test cd10 just for the fact i may have ovulated early… but i have faint lines but i wanna say that yesterday they were a lil darker… I wish i knew how to post pics on here so i can show the others my dip sticks and see what they think about them… cuz I have NO clue lol… so we can def learn this dip stick stuff together lol…

Sounds good Breezy! My Doc also told me to start testing on CD 10. I will probably also test twice a day. I’ll try to figure out how to get pix on here once I start testing :slight_smile:

[quote=Waiting4Peanut]Did you ladies use the Ovulation Predictor Tests to figure out when you ovulated? That’s the part that confuses me the worst. I bought a bulk of the dip stick ovulation tests so I can test more than once a day if I want, but it seems like the only difference is that the test line is darker than the control line when you are getting an LH surge. Will the difference in lines be significant? And then I want to time sex 12-36 hours after I get that LH surge, right? What CD did you start your ovulation tests?

I should have been taking notes at the Doc yesterday, but my mind was all over the place.[/quote]
I’ve been charting on Fertility Friend for 6 years, and I never want to miss O so I cross-check temps w/my OPKs w/my CM to confirm O. As far as OPKs go, I use Clearblue Easy digitals. It takes the guesswork out of determining if the line is darker or as dark as the control. I’ve seen too many times on FF where people are confused if a cheapo is darker than the control…not worth the stress to me. It’s spendy, yes, but worth it b/c that’s the one day that is crucial.

If you have no idea when you O, I’d start at CD 10 and test once a day until the line starts getting, say 1/2 strength as the control. Once it starts darkening, go to twice a day, AM and PM. If you are just going to test once a day, do it in the PM - all the instructions say that’s when it’s best to catch the LH surge. I tend to have a nice fade in to a positive, where it gets darker and darker each day and I can usually tell by the color of the lines (on the ejected sticks) if I’ll O in a day or two. I’ve had lots of practice, though.

As far as sex goes, I’d start every other day beginning on CD 10. That way, you won’t totally miss your O date. Once the OPK starts darkening up and you are about to pop a positive or you do pop one, have sex that day and a couple days afterward. I’d start charting your basal body temp to know for certain though b/c there’s no way to 100% confirm O after the fact unless you chart/have testing done at the doc’s office.

Thanks for the info, mama!

No problem! Best of luck to you!!!

For OPK’s I feel like I did so many that turned out negative (including a stint before I was on clomid until I was like why am I doing this I never ovulate!) that once I got a positive one I was like “Oh this looks different!” but think I kind of over analyzed the “is this as dark/darker than the control line” part. I kind of think if its pretty darn close to as dark as the control like you’re good too haha.

As far as follicles go - if you don’t get an OPK by day 16 they might do an ultrasound to see how big your follicles are. I was told that for you to ovulate you need a follicle that is at least 18mm so they can see from the u/s how many you have and how big they are to know how you’re responding to the clomid. If you don’t have any follicles that are big enough they can’t give you the trigger shot. I may be wrong but I think the trigger shot sort of “triggers” you to ovulate. So I guess if your eggs are mature but you haven’t had an LH surge it helps things along. I went in for an u/s and had one follicle that was like 16-17mm and they said come in the next day and if I hadn’t gotten a +OPK and the follicle was big enough they’d have me trigger. (Which was a little scary b/c my RE had never mentioned about doing a trigger shot before - I wasn’t actually planned for any u/s but just went in because I called being anxious about no OPK yet). Anyway turns out the next day I got my +OPK in the morning and went in and the follicle was 18mm so we didn’t end up doing the trigger.

My RE recommended basically what Mama suggested for timed intercourse - every other day starting CD10 until you get +OPK then do it “back to back” days.

I did have mood swings and hot flashes on Clomid. It was pretty annoying for me. I went into work where a few of the ladies I work with are in their early 50s and they were like “are you going through menopause or what!? That’s how I feel every day!” haha.

I hope you have had all the tests done before your OB decided to jump right into an IUI. Do you know why your OB did not want to try more clomid cycles? Starting off at 100mg is something a lot of REs do since women who come to them have usually already tried lower doses with their OBs and obviously has not worked. But OBs in general start off at 50mg if it is the first time. So am not sure what your OBs thought process was. Do tell us about your tests and results- maybe that will shine some light on this. :slight_smile:

Also, your OB should be monitoring you with an u/s to see if you are ready to ovulate. My OB usually does this on day 12-14 once. After that I am on my own and follow my cycle with the CBFM. The CBFM has been a lifesaver for me since I ovulate at different times in my cycle with or without clomid.

As for giving u an HCG shot at CD16 if no LH surge, I guess thats what most REs do too, but some OBs do not do HCG shots [mine doesnt]. I ovulated this month at CD24! And for me, when my RE did an U/s one of my cycles and thought I was going to ovulate on my own by the end of that day, I actually ovulated [got LH surge on CBFM] 3 days later. So yes, please do the OPKs or CBFM too. I’ve never used OPKs so I am not sure about them, but the CBFM has been great! It is a good adjunct to everything else.

Agree with PPs that you need to DTD every 2 days from day 10 [or earlier if you O really early- can start after period stops] and then on day of peak/+ve OPK, and both days after that.

KUP. How are you doing now?

:welcome:

I’ve done four rounds of Clomid, and each one has been different for me. Hot flashes mood swings seem to be the most common. I’ve also noticed a little bit of weight gain, but I’m hoping it will be worth it soon! I agree that taking it at night makes it a little better, and my nurse always tells me to drink lots of water.

As far as the price of your Clomid, have you asked about the generic form? I’m too lazy to use my insurance’s mail-order refills, and the timing doesn’t always work out anyway, so I get mine filled without insurance at CVS. I was on 150mg for 5 days, and the generic cost me less than $25. From what I understand, it works just as well!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input ladies!!!

[B]Lizabeth[/B] - Congrats to you!! I can only hope I’ll be as lucky as you and get my :bfp: on my first round of Clomid. You go mama!

[B]Skark[/B] - My OB did mention that lots of other OBs will try 50 mg of Clomid first (and she has in the past), but she saw very few results on only 50 mg. So she suggested the 100 mg to begin (as most REs will). As far as tests go, she did all the bloodwoork stuff (I have slightly elevated testosterone) and I also had a transvaginal u/s to check for cycsts or abnormalities, but I have none. My OB will do the u/s to check for follicles and do the trigger shot if necessary. She suggested this around CD 16 if I haven’t ovulated yet. I’m going to start ovulation testing on CD 10 and do it twice a day just to make sure I don’t miss my LH surge, assuming it comes! :pray:

My OB suggested the IUI if I in fact don’t ovulate even with the Clomid. I’ve had irregular cycles my entire life, so just not sure if I actually do or will ovulate? I guess we shall see.

It’s so ironic that I’ve spent the last 14+ years of my life making sure I didn’t get pregnant and now that I want to it’s really NOT that easy! :grr:

cchopeful - Do you mind if I ask what carrier you have for insurance? I have BCBS. I did get the generic form of Clomid. I’m wondering if maybe if was so expensive because of the pharmacy I went to? I just went to the pharmacy in the hospital. Usually I go to King Soopers or Walgreens. I think I will go there for my refills to see if the price is any different.

[QUOTE=Waiting4Peanut]Thanks for all the input ladies!!!

cchopeful - Do you mind if I ask what carrier you have for insurance? I have BCBS. I did get the generic form of Clomid. I’m wondering if maybe if was so expensive because of the pharmacy I went to? I just went to the pharmacy in the hospital. Usually I go to King Soopers or Walgreens. I think I will go there for my refills to see if the price is any different.[/QUOTE]

My insurance doesn’t cover Clomid at all and I pay $25 at. Walgreens. It was the same cost when I got 5 pills of 50mg as it does with me now taking 8 pills of 50mg. Talk to the pharmacist to see what the deal is. Idk if it’s the tablet…but you can take 2 50mg to get 100mg like I do…