No Fresh transfer and do Frozen transfer only

Hi,
I am planning to start my first IVF soon.
Heard that some doctors are mandating to do the Frozen embryo transfer (FET) only and not doing the Fresh transfer (in the same cycle as retrieval). Perhaps, by that time of frozen transfer in the subsequent cycle, the medication will flush out from the body leading to less complications during pregnancy or miscarriage?

Just wondering if your RE is recommending the same -OR- if you did follow the same for your IVF cycle(s). Are there benefits to not doing the Fresh transfer. Could you please share.

Thanks
Amy

[QUOTE=Amy789]Hi,
I am planning to start my first IVF soon.
Heard that some doctors are mandating to do the Frozen embryo transfer (FET) only and not doing the Fresh transfer (in the same cycle as retrieval). Perhaps, by that time of frozen transfer in the subsequent cycle, the medication will flush out from the body leading to less complications during pregnancy or miscarriage?

Just wondering if your RE is recommending the same -OR- if you did follow the same for your IVF cycle(s). Are there benefits to not doing the Fresh transfer. Could you please share.

Thanks
Amy[/QUOTE]

If you have a great embryology lab, then my suspicion is that you have better chances by vitrifying the embryos and transferring later. Not only does it allow all of the stims to leave your system, but it breaks up that nasty stim-implant-wait gauntlet that stresses us all the hell out.

It’s funny, I actually requested this type of approach from my RE but he declined. My wife has fairly severe egg problems for her age and I wanted to bank as many embryos as possible while we had useable eggs, but he insisted that we do a fresh transfer this next cycle. I think if your RE is suggesting this course of action, you must be at a fairly advanced lab with the sophisticated resources necessary to make it work. I, for one, think its a good idea.

I started with doing fresh transfers, but never ended in a live pregnancy. For my first DD, I had a chemical, a BFN, and a m/c. We then did an FET and I got pregnant. For DD #2, I did a fresh transfer that was a BFN and then decided to bank some embryos and do another FET. It worked again. My RE has told me that for some patients, FET is the only way to go. I’ve heard that if an embryo survives the freezing/thaw, then it is extremely strong. If we decide to have a third child, we will only do FET. It’s a much easier process on the body. Good luck!!

My RE will only do FETs now because his patients get better results with FET vs. fresh transfer. His lab technique is so good that they have something like 99.5% survival rate for frozen embryos. Doing an FET gives your body time to flush out all the fertility meds.

Secret