No Gestational Sac at 6 weeks?


#1

I went in for my first U/S yesterday at exactly 6 weeks gestation and saw no gestational sac on the monitor. RE told me to stop meds and let nature takes it course. The problem I have with this is that my hcg levels continue to double and I think my hcg was barely at 1,500 yesterday. From what I’ve read, your hcg levels need to be between 1,500 and 2,000 in order to see anything with a transvaginal ultrasound. My hcg levels started low but have consistenly doubled within 48-72 hours as follows:

10/20 - 30 (4w1d)
10/22 - 69 (4w3d)
10/25 - 151 (4w6d)
10/27 - 315 (5w1d)
10/29 - 662 (5w3d)
11/2 - U/S - no gestational sac (6w)
11/3 - 2,080 (6w1d)

I had my hcg tested again today despite RE’s saying not to, but I really wanted to know if it was dropping or even stagnating. If it had done either, I would stop my meds and let nature takes its course, but now I’m even more confused since today it was over 2,000.

Has any ever had a similar experience? Is there any chance for a normal pregnancy or am I just postponing the inevitable by continuing progresterone and estrogen patch?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! No need to sugar coat, looking for realistic info. I’ve already pretty much accepted that this will end in a miscarriage but just want to make sure that I do everything I can so that I never have to look back and regret any decisions I make.

Thanks!

Lindsey


#2

You seem to be in a really good place - realistic but not wanting to give up if there’s a chance of success… Has your RE been able to give you any explanation of why your beta levels are continuing to rise so well? My story (which is not good) is that I had a FET in August. My betas started out even lower - 20 at 12dp5dt so I was basically 4w3d. But they continued to double. However, I had a big gush of blood at 6w1d and went to the ED and the US showed just a sac (my beta was about 2500). That was Sept 5. I had an US with my RE Sept 7 that still showed nothing but a sac (6w3d). We were all still wanting to give it every chance, though, and I continued on the meds and had another US Sept 14 (7w3d) and still showed just a sac. So I stopped meds and m/c’d on Sept 16.

Though it didn’t end happily, I do not regret having given it as much time as we did - I mean, starting the day I went to the ED with the bleeding I pretty much knew I’d lose the pregnancy. But because we gave it so long I have no doubt in my mind that it was nonviable.

The only downside to having waited the extra 1-2 weeks is that it took until Oct 26 for my beta to get back down to 0. And neither the RE or I wanted to start the next step until that was the case.

I know this probably isn’t something you want or need to know right now, but I was really scared about how bad the m/c itself would be, from what my RE, friends, and other women on the forums told me. But my experience was not like everyone said it would be. I was actually at work when it started. I’m a pediatrician and only had about 10 patients left for the day, so I was trying to get through them all and only had to leave early because I ran out of pads. I’m not saying it didn’t suck, but because I had already started to heal emotionally and (I’m guessing) because I never had more than a sac develop, I didn’t have ANY cramping, just a few hours of very heavy bleeding with clots.

So I’d say keep up with the betas and US’s until and unless you are comfortable that there is not a chance. And see if your RE can give you an explanation of the betas. I’m sorry


#3

[QUOTE=TryinginChicago]I went in for my first U/S yesterday at exactly 6 weeks gestation and saw no gestational sac on the monitor. RE told me to stop meds and let nature takes it course. The problem I have with this is that my hcg levels continue to double and I think my hcg was barely at 1,500 yesterday. From what I’ve read, your hcg levels need to be between 1,500 and 2,000 in order to see anything with a transvaginal ultrasound. My hcg levels started low but have consistenly doubled within 48-72 hours as follows:

10/20 - 30 (4w1d)
10/22 - 69 (4w3d)
10/25 - 151 (4w6d)
10/27 - 315 (5w1d)
10/29 - 662 (5w3d)
11/2 - U/S - no gestational sac (6w)
11/3 - 2,080 (6w1d)

I had my hcg tested again today despite RE’s saying not to, but I really wanted to know if it was dropping or even stagnating. If it had done either, I would stop my meds and let nature takes its course, but now I’m even more confused since today it was over 2,000.

Has any ever had a similar experience? Is there any chance for a normal pregnancy or am I just postponing the inevitable by continuing progresterone and estrogen patch?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! No need to sugar coat, looking for realistic info. I’ve already pretty much accepted that this will end in a miscarriage but just want to make sure that I do everything I can so that I never have to look back and regret any decisions I make.

Thanks!

Lindsey[/QUOTE]

Just jumping over to give you some info.
Last year I had a scenario the same as you, however because it was a naturally conceived PG I was at my OB. He was very kind to do HCG’s and U/S until I made the decision it was over. He told me that plenty of women have surprised him going from a poor ultrasound to a heartbeating baby so he gave me time… unfortunately for me that was not the case and I naturally M/c.

I would ask for another U/S if it were me. It can happen women talk about those experiences of going into a d&C and begging for an U/S only to find a live baby!


#4

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I went back for another U/S today at 7w1d and we saw a gestational sac measuring 7mm which would put me at 5w3d but since I did IVF we know exactly when I conceived so today should be 7w1d. RE said since I’m almost 2 weeks behind, there is really no chance it’s viable. He called it a blighted ovum. I’m glad I gave it another week but since we only saw a gestational sac I agree with the RE now that it’s not going to catch up. I was hoping that a baby would magically appear at the 7 week U/S but since that didn’t happen, I’m going to see if I miscarry naturally in a few days and if I don’t, I have a prescription to enduce to miscarriage.


#5

I am really sorry to hear that. I know it is hard. I actually just had a d&c yesterday. I was 1 day from being 6 weeks. As you can see by my signature we never even got past a 77 on the beta, and we found nothing in the uterus because my level was so low. I know that it will take some time to heal, but as you said in an earlier post you had already began to heal emotionally. I did the same thing a week ago. I pray that you find amazing strength through faith, family and friends. You will for sure be in my prayers.


#6

I know its hard…

amanda and tryinginchicago-I had my dandc right before Halloween and all we saw was a gestational sac that stopped growing and was collapsing. He pointing to where the baby should have been. I was so heartbroken since it was my second miscarriage. Now its two weeks later and I do feel better. I have a follow-up beta to see if it dropped to 0 and than we can try again. I will keep you both in my prayers. ((((((hugs))))))).


#7

Ladies, I understand exactly how you feel, I just went through this myself. My betas were lower than they should’ve been, but they did double correctly(see my sig)

Even tho I didn’t want to hear it at the time, my RE said he was reassured that I was able to get pg & that it was just a matter of getting a good egg. As hard as it was to go through, he was reassured that I didn’t have uterine or implantation issues, etc, & was encouraged that I was able to get pg. He encouraged me to keep trying, that it was just a numbers game at this point.

It’s a personal choice, & there is no right answer, but I felt it was healing to move forward w/ another cycle as soon as possible.

Best of luck to everyone with this process, the ups and downs are so very intense.