Nothing to do with IUI, but I don't know where else to go..

Ok bear with me girls. :slight_smile:

So from last spring through summer I suffered from recurrent yeast infections & bacterial vaginosis. I went to multiple doctors, none of them could tell me WHY I kept getting these infections. I would treat one, then another one would pop up.

Then comes August. I keep having itching, but I go to the doctor again (actually many of them, including Patient First multiple times) and they all take cultures and tell me that NOTHING is wrong with me.

So now I get my BFP and I pray to God that I don’t have anymore issues with this. The itching seemed to have subsided around the time of my IUI. However, this week I have been noticing that I have this strange white pasty discharge one day…it disappears…then it comes back. Disappears the next day, then comes back. I don’t have any itching. I do recall seeing this type of discharge before the BFP but never worried…until now that I have a bean growing inside me.

My doctor has HORRIBLE hours so I can never get in to see her. I was just wondering if anyone else ever sees any white pasty discharge and what it could be.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!

[quote=MrsHodgkinsHater]Ok bear with me girls. :slight_smile:

So from last spring through summer I suffered from recurrent yeast infections & bacterial vaginosis. I went to multiple doctors, none of them could tell me WHY I kept getting these infections. I would treat one, then another one would pop up.

Then comes August. I keep having itching, but I go to the doctor again (actually many of them, including Patient First multiple times) and they all take cultures and tell me that NOTHING is wrong with me.

So now I get my BFP and I pray to God that I don’t have anymore issues with this. The itching seemed to have subsided around the time of my IUI. However, this week I have been noticing that I have this strange white pasty discharge one day…it disappears…then it comes back. Disappears the next day, then comes back. I don’t have any itching. I do recall seeing this type of discharge before the BFP but never worried…until now that I have a bean growing inside me.

My doctor has HORRIBLE hours so I can never get in to see her. I was just wondering if anyone else ever sees any white pasty discharge and what it could be.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer![/quote]

Ok so this may sound strange but do you have painful periods? I mean before the BFP, obviously. The reason I ask is because for years I had “itchiness” where they couldnt find any problem. They tried changing my pH with inserts etc but nothing helped. Then I went to my fabulous doc and I got diagnosed with Endometriosis. I had the surgery to take care of it and presto… itchiness gone. At the time, I hadnt even told him about this. But it seemed to clear it up. I think it was about the cytokines that are released by the endo making my immune system flare up, causing the itchiness. Anyway, if you did have endo the pregnancy would slow it all down anyway. I dont know could be nothing. But I would say the discharge is just from being pregnant.

Have they treated your DH for the infections as well when they are treating you? If not he’s giving it back to you everytime you :dance: . But when i had my bfp creamy pasty discharge was normal. Keep an eye on it and IF it gets worse go to your OB. Also, could the itching and stuff be from the uses of latex “comdoms” on the u/s wand? Im allergic to latex and scented tampons, and i’ve had reactions like you’ve said due to them.

Hope this helps :grouphug:

I had similar troubles before I started infertility treatments. I had these pseudo bladder and yeast infections where I had all this pain with intercourse, abdominal cramping, alternating dryness and discharge, but my test results were always normal. I was diagnosed with PCOS, and once I was on the Metformin, most of it went away.

Not to say that PCOS is what you’re experiencing, there are many explanations, but that’s what happened to me. Also, I started using unscented body wash, I think that helps ward off vaginal irritation/allergies quite a bit. Good luck!

So I had the exact same symptoms. Not the bacterial vaginosis (but I have had that in he past). I would itch and have a very thick discharge. I kept thinking it was a yeast infection but then it wouldn’t go away. I would also get small cuts after sex. So I was dealing with this for months…many months. I work in a laboratory so I had access to a microscope and I started scoping my vaginal mucus and I found this REALLY gnarly looking yeast. I found only very few which is why the doctors office kept missing it. I know what candida looks like, and this did not look like candidia. So I grew it out and I found out that it was actually candidia but instead of having a large number of smaller yeast, I had a few VERY large root balls (Sorry I know that sounds gross) that were transient with the different cycles of my hormones. So I took an oral yeast infection medication along with a 7 day vaginal medication. I used clotrimazole, gynolotrimine (SP). It worked great, its been two months and I am fine. I am not sure about doing this while your pregnant though, I would ask the doc.

[QUOTE=MrsHodgkinsHater]Ok bear with me girls. :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer![/QUOTE]
I don’t know if this helps but I also have recurrent yeast infections as well as UTIs. I would be prescribed diflucan and then it would go away and then would have to be prescribed an antibiotic for the bladder infection. Well I found out I wasn’t having UTIs, I was having interstitial cystitis flare ups which for me caused the discharge and itchiness. I also learned that for some reason after intercourse I would itch like crazy. The doctor finally found that the way my body was shaped it was very easy for bacteria to get caught which caused the painful after effects. I have to take nitrofurantin (spelling) every time I have sex to stop the UTI. I don’t know if that is what you mean but I also learned a couple of months ago I was allergic to latex which is what caused another round of itching.

What kind of lab do you work in? I just got my Masters in Molecular Biology so I work in a lab as well. But we dont do a lot of microbiology so I couldnt tell you what yeast looked like under a scope, but ask me about mouse ES cells and Im your girl! :slight_smile:

I work in a hospital laboratory. I am not a microbiologist, I specialize in hematology and transfusion medicine, but I did have to study micro. I also see candidia all the time with urine profiles in hematology so I have a pretty good idea of candidia when I see it. Which was why it was so scary seeing this huge root ball. I have been in the lab for 7 years and the only other time I had see it was in a 90 year old man. So there you go…me and a 90 year old man! :smiley:

Hey knpoduch looks like were in the same boat. Hope everything goes well with your second IUI.:bsv:

Yeah thats something I would love to do, work in a clinical lab. But my Masters in Molecular Bio is pretty useless. So far I have been able to get a job in another lab at the same university I just graduated from, but its OPS (aka no benefits, no sick or holiday or vacation time). I havent decided what I want to do yet… I am thinking about doing the BS to BSN program. A little backwards I know, but at least I will enjoy my profession a little bit better. I was just looking at the clinical lab stuff yesterday in fact. I was thinking I would rather do that, but then I realized that I would basically have to go back and do another BS degree. I do for nursing too but there are 1 year bridge programs for that where I live, but nothing for clinical bio. :frowning:

Just in case you didn’t see it I just wrote you a private message. You don’t have to go back for a second degree at all. There are different paths you can take for MLS. You should check out the website at ASCP.org. Hope everything works out. :smiley: (I love that emoticon)

Some women also have problems with the plastic on pads and pantyliners. I don’t know if you are using liners because of the discharge but if it gets bad you may want to try cloth liners and see if it helps. I used to have itching only during AF, and when I went over to cloth it went away and never came back.