Number of embryos to transfer

I have one cycle left because we are out of strength for this process. I am wondering if we should transfer two embryos even though we only want a single child. We are using donor embryos and will likely be able to have a fresh embryo. We’ve only done single transfers so far.

Has anyone else been in this boat? What did you decide to do? What was the results? My sig has our history.

Hi Western,

I really struggled with how many to put back. SART recommends only 1 blast in all cases for my age group, but our embryologist definitely said we should do two.

We’d had two day-5 blasts ready on on transfer day of “good” (but not “excellent”) quality, and didn’t yet know at that time if we would have any to put on ice. If we had an excellent, top quality day-5 blast, and had at least two blasts to freeze, I would have only transferred one.

But with “good” blasts, and no freezer-babes confirmed on transfer day, we rolled the dice and went with two.

I figure if we’re meant to have two babies, so be it. I have a friend who transferred two quality blasts and ended up with one baby, so I kept her in mind when we made our decision. We’ll find out on the 23rd at first u/s so my verdict is TBC…

Your situation will be a little different since you’ll know the quality of your embryos in advance. You’ve been through so much already, I guess you have to go with your gut. If you know this will be your last cycle, I’d be tempted to say go with two. Either way it’s a big and very personal decision!

Thanks Darlee for your thoughtful answer. Luckily I have time think and meditate on what is the right answer for us. I also have to see what DH thinks. It is so hard to know!

Best of luck in your awesome adventure. I am so glad to see you are :preg:

Considering you have done four IVF’s I think I would put back two personally. One reason is that with two the odds of twins is only like 25-30% with the best clinics so that means that you still have a 70% chance of a singleton should you get pregnant which is clearly more likely.

We put back two in our case and got pregnant with one, but I am 38 and we only had two decent looking ones to put back. So I think how many come back good may also help you with the decision as if you only get a couple BB or CC blasts or early blasts as I did you may want to put back more whereas if you have a couple AA blasts then maybe one makes sense though I personally would still have put them both back personally, but I think you just have to do what is right for you given your situation.

Good Luck! :flower:

If this was your first attempt, I would say that transferring one is reasonable. But considering you have been through multiple attempts…I would for sure put two back.

But you would need to come to terms with the fact that twins could be a real possibility. You would be upping your chance to conceive quite a bit, but you would also be upping your odds of twins. Are you comfortable with that, I would have been, but that is your own personal decision to make :).

Also, we had three donor embryo FET’s. (Had 8 [B]great[/B] quality embryos donated / created by a 25 year old egg donor and a male that already had 5 kids / their issue was just his wifes age) They had twins from the same batch of embryos before they donated to us. First FET, we transferred two, got pregnant with one and had a miscarriage. Second FET, we transferred two again, got pregnant with one and had our first little miracle baby. FET number three, we transferred two more and got pregnant with one, had our second little miracle boy!!! So, needless to say we transferred two nearly perfect embryos each time, and only ever had a single pregnancy. With our fresh IVF cycles (non-donor) we transferred 3, even 4 once, and had either negatives or miscarriages of one baby.

Good luck to you!

You’ve gotten some good advice so far. I would definitely go with transferring two given that you’ve been through the process numerous times already. You want to have as much on your side as possible. But if I may ask, what do you intend to do with the second embryo if you don’t transfer both? This is relevant because if you didn’t donate it and simply intended to discard it, then it wouldn’t be philosophically inconsistent to just implant both embryos and then selectively reduce your pregnancy to a singleton if both end up implanting. After all, if its getting destroyed either way, then you might as well go with the option that gives you the greatest odds.

I transferred three 5d textbook blasts. I got one dd. One ther tried to implant, but didn’t. Good luck!!

My RE basically suggests two 5 day embryos for everyone, probably more for advanced age. I’m 25 and this is my first ivf. I had 2 blasts transferred on 4/10. I’m okay with twins if that’s what happens.

Just thought I would chime in with my story… I agree with many of the others, with multiple attempts at IVF under your belt, I would definitely go with 2 and increase your odds of it working. That being said, regardless of quality of embryos, you need to prepare yourself for twins… if you are completely against having twins, you need to only put one embryo back. My story is a perfect example of this! With my fresh cycle IVF in 2010, we transferred 2 PERFECT blasts on day 5 and we had our beautiful daughter as a result. This last fall we were back at our IVF clinic to put our 6 frozen embryos to use! We learned at our restart consult that the 6 embryos we had were OK quality, they were not perfect like those used in our initial IVF. Because of this quality issue we decide to go with a 2 embryo transfer again… although I will admit that I really only wanted one more baby at the time! Well, I’m almost 34 weeks pregnant with twin boys! Quality of embryos doesn’t always matter! Obviously at this point, I’m thrilled that we are welcoming 2 more babies into our family, I couldn’t be happier… but just goes to show you, the statistics aren’t always right! If they were, I would have had twins the first round of IVF and not this time… anytime you put more than one in, there is [U]always[/U] the chance you will get more than one out! lol!! :woohoo:

Good luck with whatever you decide, it can be a tough decision! Either way, I hope it works out for you and your get your little miracle(s)!

P.S. I noticed on your fresh IVF cycles (with your own eggs) they used lupron both times… have you tried a cycle without? I would think if you have POF, they would not want to further suppress you with lupron… just a thought! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Westernlark]I have one cycle left because we are out of strength for this process. I am wondering if we should transfer two embryos even though we only want a single child. We are using donor embryos and will likely be able to have a fresh embryo. We’ve only done single transfers so far.

Has anyone else been in this boat? What did you decide to do? What was the results? My sig has our history.[/QUOTE]

For my first cycle we have transferred 2 (5 days blasts) one was great and other not so much. One had stuck and we lost it in week 6. If you transfer 2 you’ll definitely increase your possibilities of getting a baby… or two.
If ou absolutely don’t want two kids, than you should perhaps go with one embryo… probably that is a decision you need to make.

Good luck with either of choices!!!

Justy FYI, we put two healthy, normal embryo’s in and I got pregnant with one baby boy and we have male fertility issue. Good luck with what ever you decide.