OHSS and miserable

hi I’m new to this website. I just went through my first cycle of IVF this November was overjoyed to discover a BFP! however, now I’m suffering from horrible OHSS and I’m miserable everyday. My abdomen is so distended and painful; i can barely walk upright. can’t find any comfortable positions to sleep in. I’m unable to go to work frequently. I’m so stressed out because I didn’t know OHSS could be this disabling. I don’t know what affect this is having on the pregnancy and I’m constantly worried if the baby is ok. I feel sad and guilty that the OHSS symptoms are preventing me from enjoying the pregnancy. I’m eating as much protein as I can and drinking Smartwater. Not short of breath so my doc won’t drain me. I’ve read this can last 8-10 weeks! any encouraging words or similar experiences would be so helpful to me right now.

thanks everyone for listening

Sorry about that. Your baby is not impacted, though, no need to worry. Drainage and albumin iv are the only two things that are proven to help. From my personal experience, a lot of other advice makes no sense. I am going to recommend that you do whatever makes you pee, and ask dr to drain you based on weight gain. Draining reduces pressure on ovaries and they start producing less hormones that cause OHSS in the first place. Not being short of breath is good, trust me. I spent sleepless nights fighting for a breath of air with my heart racing, and it’s not fun. Good luck!

[quote=px74]hi I’m new to this website. I just went through my first cycle of IVF this November was overjoyed to discover a BFP! however, now I’m suffering from horrible OHSS and I’m miserable everyday. My abdomen is so distended and painful; i can barely walk upright. can’t find any comfortable positions to sleep in. I’m unable to go to work frequently. I’m so stressed out because I didn’t know OHSS could be this disabling. I don’t know what affect this is having on the pregnancy and I’m constantly worried if the baby is ok. I feel sad and guilty that the OHSS symptoms are preventing me from enjoying the pregnancy. I’m eating as much protein as I can and drinking Smartwater. Not short of breath so my doc won’t drain me. I’ve read this can last 8-10 weeks! any encouraging words or similar experiences would be so helpful to me right now.

thanks everyone for listening[/quote]

OHSS is usually not a threat to the pregnancy itself, but can be a serious risk to the patient.

Like Trans-Siberian said, fluid drainage, fluid replacement, and IV protein (albumin) are proven to help treat the symptoms. These may be needed repeatedly. Most other remedies are based on rumor, conjecture, or anecdotal evidence. Maybe they work, but genuine studies are needed.

The main risk is too little fluid in the bloodstream (this can lead to many additional problems), but there is also some risk that the fluid accumulating the the “third space” (the abdomen and the pleural space around the lungs) will make it difficult to breathe.

It’s usually subsiding in 3 or 4 weeks, but can last longer.

Hi Px - I had OHSS with my IVF cycle which resulted in a baby girl. My cycle was almost cancelled because my E2 was up to 5900 but luckily it didn’t go any higher. The down side was severe OHSS during pregnancy. I would say it lasted most of my first trimester. My only advice is to drink a lot of water or fluids. This will help pull the water from your body. Hang in there…it will eventually go away and it won’t affect your baby. Congrats on your BFP!

thank you all for your advice and support !