OHSS Experts, please talk me off the ledge

I know this is my second annoying OHSS post; I apologize for being such a nag. Really hoping someone can help me out.

The past 10 days of my life, in numbers:

Feb. 1 (7dp5dt) Beta 53. That afternoon, drained 3 liters.
Feb. 3 (9dp5dt) Beta 72.
Feb. 5 (11dp5dt) Beta 132
Feb. 8 (14dp5dt) Beta 436
Feb 9 --> Drained 2.5 more liters
Feb. 11 (7dp5dt) Beta 780.

I am, of course panicking. It’s true that the only times I’ve had non-doubling betas coincide with when I’ve had large amounts of fluid drained. But I’m just finding it so hard to be hopeful; these numbers seems so discouraging.

Headed back Wednesday for another beta and then to be drained, again. Is there any hope or should I just be prepared for the worst?

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it.

There is def. hope I went through a similar scare with the numbers. You can see in my sig. My first beta was at my draining then 2 days later its doubling time was like 70 hours. I was really panicked but I’m now 36 weeks preggo with a big healthy boy. I was only drained once but after that my doubling times just seemed to be slower than with my first son. Again I understand your fears cause I was there but I think it’s totally normal. When is your first ultrasound? That’s what finally put my fears at ease and I’m sure it will help you too. Hang in there I totally understand what your going through! OHSS really stinks but is also a good sign of pregnancy. A lot of times it even means multiples! Hang in there!

Draining fluid also drains HCG with it so that is why your HCG hasn’t doubled and coincides with your non doubling times so no worries!!! Also, your HCG is good despite this. Mine at 10dp5dt was only 89 so…again no worries–all is fine! :flower:

[QUOTE=sunny_skies]I know this is my second annoying OHSS post; I apologize for being such a nag. Really hoping someone can help me out.

The past 10 days of my life, in numbers:

Feb. 1 (7dp5dt) Beta 53. That afternoon, drained 3 liters.
Feb. 3 (9dp5dt) Beta 72.
Feb. 5 (11dp5dt) Beta 132
Feb. 8 (14dp5dt) Beta 436
Feb 9 --> Drained 2.5 more liters
Feb. 11 (7dp5dt) Beta 780.

I am, of course panicking. It’s true that the only times I’ve had non-doubling betas coincide with when I’ve had large amounts of fluid drained. But I’m just finding it so hard to be hopeful; these numbers seems so discouraging.

Headed back Wednesday for another beta and then to be drained, again. Is there any hope or should I just be prepared for the worst?

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Nobody can promise that your pregnancy is viable, but there is no evidence above that it is not. With OHSS, the fluid in your abdomen will have much of your hCG in it, so there will be less in your blood serum. This is well-known.

[QUOTE=Ghost]Nobody can promise that your pregnancy is viable, but there is no evidence above that it is not. With OHSS, the fluid in your abdomen will have much of your hCG in it, so there will be less in your blood serum. This is well-known.[/QUOTE]

Thanks everyone. Ghost, it’s interesting that you say the draining/HcG correlation is is well known because when it didn’t double the first time, I asked my doctor if the draining could be a reason why and he seemed rather ambiguous. Gave me a lot of useless talk about how 6dp5dt is too early for a beta, maybe there were trigger remnants left, maybe we’d lost a twin, etc. While he acknowledged that the draining could play a part, he didn’t appear to give the idea much credence. Which of course made me wonder…

Thanks for the reply though. I do appreciate it.

I was drained twice too and had low betas (see sig) and it was originally triplets! After you get drained, the beta’s will be lower in your blood then it really is. Hang in there.

[quote=sunny_skies]Thanks everyone. Ghost, it’s interesting that you say the draining/HcG correlation is is well known because when it didn’t double the first time, I asked my doctor if the draining could be a reason why and he seemed rather ambiguous. Gave me a lot of useless talk about how 6dp5dt is too early for a beta, maybe there were trigger remnants left, maybe we’d lost a twin, etc. While he acknowledged that the draining could play a part, he didn’t appear to give the idea much credence. Which of course made me wonder…

Thanks for the reply though. I do appreciate it.[/quote]

I know I heard about it in a presentation at ASRM.