OHSS, when to seek medical help?

Good morning ladies… Well, I had my retrieval on Wednesday but the symptoms started long before the retrieval. Extreme bloating, 5 lbs gained in less than a week, stomach above belly button bloated too, can’t fit into jeans, pains everywhere in my ovaries and my uterus, can’t walk fast, even my sides under my ribcage hurt, sometimes finding it hard to breathe, etc… In all of my travels, I have never had this problem before and it has lasted almost a week so far… When the hell will this end? Should I be concerned that it is not getting any better? I don’t want to seem like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but ****! This is so uncomfortable! I look like I am 5 months pregnant! Should I seek some medical advice or am I making a big deal out of nothing? I guess I don’t know when to draw the line with OHSS… At least that is what I am assuming is causing my troubles… Any help from anyone who has experienced this is greatly appreciated! Thanks ladies!

You are not making a big deal out of it. OHSS is a big deal.

If you received hCG, and it sounds like you did, then this can go on for a few more days. If you get a fresh transfer and embryos implant, then they will produce more hCG, much more than was in your injection, and your OHSS might return with a vengeance. That generally occurs about 10-13 days after retrieval. If that happens, hospitalization is common.

They have the option of draining the ascitic fluid from your abdomen and giving you IV fluids and protein. This relieves some of the symptoms until the fluid collects again.

Keep your RE informed of everything.

If I were you, I would insist he/she treats you.

OHSS generally gets worse after retrieval and then again after transfer if a pregnancy occurs. I think if you have gained noticeable weight and look pregnant and are having trouble breathing you may need to have some fluid drained. At the very least get it checked out. Better to err on the side of caution and be told to go home and rest than to end up losing an ovary or worse.

It can get bad fast too so better to get it under control before it gets too bad.

:cross: it isn’t that bad and you can move forward with transfer. :grouphug:

I was in so much pain for a while before and after retrieval. I went in to be seen and was basically told that as long as I could still produce urine that they didn’t want to do anything about it. I missed almost two weeks of work. I was really miserable. I was too uncomfortable to even sleep so it was such a wasted time just laying in bed hurting.

You should call your RE. Absolutely no carbs, protein diet. Drink electrolytes, eat lots of potassium.