OHSS Worry

Hi all

Ive started fertility treatment and am getting ready to start my injections on the 7th…The nurse talked to me about OHSS for PCOS sufferers and now this has got me really worried now. Has anyone had any experience of this?? please try and put my mind to rest lol xxx

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Chelle1979 - I would discuss with your doctor Lupron trigger to prevent OHSS. My RE suspected that I would have problems with OHSS and had me trigger with Lupron instead of HCG and I’m glad he did because I had very mild OHSS symptoms hours after ER and by the next day all was gone!!! It is a pain afterwards because you have to be very aggressive with progesterone and estrogen support. I’m current doing Crinone and Estrace twice a day (double the “normal” dosage) but I preferred this than OHSS. In the end it will depend on your protocol and your RE, but if you are worry about OHSS, it is worth talking to them about.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I suffered from OHSS and I dont have PCOS. Some people suffer OHSS with 10eggs, and some dont even suffer with 25 eggs. So everyone is different.
I had 20 eggs retrieved. I did an HCG trigger. Important thing is to eat alot of protein and drink gatorade, it helps.
Ot is uncomfortable, and gets worse with a positive pregnancy.

PCOS and OHSS

[quote=Chelle1979]Hi all

Ive started fertility treatment and am getting ready to start my injections on the 7th…The nurse talked to me about OHSS for PCOS sufferers and now this has got me really worried now. Has anyone had any experience of this?? please try and put my mind to rest lol xxx[/quote]

Chelle- I recently had my ER on Friday and I too, have PCOS. However, both my RE and Nurse told me that although they retrieved “a lot” of eggs (33), they weren’t too concerned with me developing OHSS.

I’ve been closely monitoring my symptoms… the bloating is DEFINITELY uncomfortable but I’ve been following their advice of drinking lots of fluids (waters & coconut water is what I prefer), eating protein, and applying a heating pad whenever I’m off my feet. Also, for the first two days, I took Tylenol to really calm the cramping.

Ooh… Some advice… weigh yourself the morning of the ER and then weigh yourself every day after. I was basically told that gaining a couple of pounds is normal but if I gain more than 5lbs in two days and my clothes don’t fit, then call their offices.

Honestly… I can best describe it as indigestion that occurs after a REALLY large meal. Since all of the meds, stims, and anesthesia have the tendency to get patients constipated, the feeling is culminated by feeling like you have really bad gas blockage!

Don’t screw yourself into the wall though… Stay calm… Stay vigilant of your symptoms and if you have ANY concerns at all about how “severe” things should get, call the doctor! Discomfort is expected… Pain, not so much!

:cross:

I have PCOS and with my successful cycle, I had early (night before transfer) and late onset (with BFP) OHSS.

It wasn’t pleasant but I managed to keep myself out of the hospital by drinking gallons (no joke) of Gatorade, higher sodium foods, protein shakes and also REST. The more you walk around and jiggle your ovaries around, the worse things will get.

Thing is though, even if you take every precaution against it, it can still get you…an important thing is those sure you keep yourself peelng because that means the fluid isnt retaining and is coming out.

As other people said though, just because you have PCOS doesn’t mean you will get OHSS automatically, everyone is different…I was kind of doomed though because I had 28 eggs retrieved but I also had an e2 that was probably well over 9k at retrieval.

Good luck!!