Older Moms 42+, share and care

This thread is for Moms who are or hope to be an older Mom soon. There are a lot of ups and downs when you go through this process (normally-at 30) but to attempt to do it past 40 or 41 is scary to say the least. I am creating this board to help women who fit this criteria to find support, share experiences, and give caring understanding while going through or attempting to go through the processes usually involved. May each of you find joy in the journey to being a Mom no matter what age.

Hi! I was 40 yo when started ttc since 2014. Dh - 42 yo. Soon I was diagnosed on PCOS, blocked fallopian tubes. amh <3,2. Dr suggested PGD as I had a miscarriage the previous years before going ivf route. She also suspected me to be a carrier of Wilson disease which is a very rare treatable disorder. I was through 2 failed cycles ivf with own egg whilst looking onto more investigation. Finally we were told my eggs were not going to work at all. So we moved onto donor egg. It took us 2 shots to conceive with them.

More women than ever are trying to conceive over the age of 40, that is a fact. In most developed countries the world over we are finding that women have more freedoms and equalities than past times. There is no denying this is wonderful. This gives us the freedom to focus on career goals, travel, making our creative dreams a possibility, rather than feeling like we have to have children right away in our 20’s. We are no longer as stuck as we once were, but what about that nagging fear of fertility decline as we age? In this article we’ll be discussing what happens to women’s fertility as we reach the age of 40; and how to prepare for conception over 40. We’ll go over medical options as well as natural methods to support the body such as cleansing and a fertility specific diet, and working towards improving uterine and egg health and cervical mucous production. So why would we expect it to be any different for those desiring to have children over 40? I am not here to pick sides, but I do think it is very important to be realistic and to listen to your gut.

Well, here’s a small update. This thread seems to be napping, so I thought I could share. As you know from my previos post we were successful after 2 shots with donor egg at biotex. We’re parenting a sweet baby girl, our adorable miracle. She wasn’t PGD tested if it’s possible to say like this. 'Cause she’s our de. But I truly believe women have to opt for such sort testings to make sure their embies are strong and healthy enough for further development. I’m 43 yrs old now. And we both understood we wanted more kids. With this very purpose we called the clinic some time ago and defined the date of the consultation. The girl answering seemed not surprised at all when we told we were coming back. She smiled and said ‘‘welcome guys, we were waiting for you’’ Which made me smile her way…This is incredible to know the clinic does care about its IP. Also it sounds like we aren’t the only ones who told they were coming back…To cut my story short, they matched another beautiful donor for us. This sweet lady prduced a lot of healthy egg for us, only 2 of them didn’t fertilize. We got fully prepared to have our A grade embies placed inside me, hoping for they’ll grow into a cute sibling for our daughter. Wish me good luck!

Hello all. I want to take part and help this thread grow. I got a lot of support from here 6 years ago when I was struggling to get pregnant. It finally happened and now we hope to ‘give’ her a sibling. I’m 42. Out of shape and overweight. My family has a history early menopause. Plenty of things stacked against me, but Willa was never supposed to happen, ha!, so statistics mean very little to me. Ideas, success stories, etc, I’m all ears. Thanks!! - Nancy

Because infertility is more likely after 40, and because with every year that passes your chances are lower, it’s important you seek help as soon as possible if you experience trouble conceiving. If after six months you’re still not pregnant, it’s time for an evaluation. Honestly, you may want to see your doctor right away and ask for some basic fertility testing. They can test your FSH and AMH levels with a simple blood test. Your doctor may also recommend an antral follicle count ultrasound. These tests will give you and your doctor a good idea right away if you might already be at risk for infertility. Also, if you have any symptoms or risk factors for infertility, then you should speak to your doctor before you even start trying. And this is what my doctor at Bio tex told me. IVF treatment has slight better success rates but that’s still not as good as it is for younger women. This rate quickly falls as the years go by as well. For women age 40 and up, the percentage of live births per IVF cycle is just 5.8 percent according to the most recent statistics. For some women, egg donation will give them the best chances for success after 40. Success rates for IVF with egg donation has 39.1 percent success rate per treatment cycle. That said, egg donor IVF isn’t for everyone.

Here’s mine. I’m 43 yrs old now. A successful architect whose life has changed dramatically with infertility years ago. Married to dh in 2013 and TTC since 10/14. Was diagnosed on PCOS & blocked fallopian tubes. AMH test results came in lest then 3,2. Tried accupuncture along with IVF shots but got no actual results. IVF#1 9/15 & IVF#2 12/15- both BFN. Our dr suggested PGD as suspected me to be the carrier of a very rare disease. Another shot brought no luck. We both took a really long break for emotional recovery. Once a friend of mine went for surrogacy in Ukraine, so soon recommended bio tex com. We thought we could give it another try abroad, using donor egg. It took us 2 shots DE IVF. OTD 25/05/16 - BFP!
I truly hope you’re more lucky and still can get your baby#2 in a natural way. But it’s always better to have back plan in case things don’t go a expected. Wishing you the best of luck and support on this way. Stay well.

I absolutely agree. Thought I could share some more info about DE IVF treatment at the clinic. Before heading for shot#1 they wanted both of us to pass the following tests and examinations. Dh had to deal with: Rw (Wasserman test), HBs, HCV, HIV (no more than 3 months before), Blood group and Rhesus factor (termless), Karyotype analysis (termless), Spermogram (no more than 3 months), ICSI screening.
For me this was quite a list: Rw, HBs, HCV, HIV, syphilis (made no more than 6 months before that). TORCH infections (rubella and toxoplasmosis). Vaginal discharge analysis. Karyotype analysis (termless). Blood group and Rhesus factor (termless). Complete Blood Count (CBC) made no more than 1 month before that. Biochemical blood count (bilirubin, AST, ALT, kreatinin, complete protein)
Koagulogram. LH (luteinizing hormone). FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone). Vaginal and cervical canal swab (no more than 6 months before). Microscopic examination of vaginal canal. Pelvic organs ultrasound. Breast ultrasound. Anti-muller hormone test.
One who’s on the way of IVF treatments or is just preparing should stay patient 'cause there are loads of things to cope with except emotional rollercoaster. One should remember what it’s all for and seek strength from it. all things done for our future kids.

Decided to join! Hello all!
Here’s me Jannet. Me 40; DH 45. DX - PCOS, endo, one ovary and tube; MFI. Oct 2008: Mike is here! 7lbs 14oz, 20.75 inches; C-Section.
TTC #2 since Sept 2015. BFN= 3 IVFs. IVF#4 – early mc @6w4d, June 2018. Last IVF #5 (5dt of two 2AA blasts) – BFP!! Beta #1, 11dp5dt= 295. Beta #2, 13dp5dt= 825 (doubling time of 32 hours!); progesterone 130.
On Wed I’m having my 7 week scan. Which I am crazy nervous about. The last scan I had back in Jun showed I had lost our little bean. It was just 8 days before had a strong beating heart! So I am PETRIFIED for what We brings…I hate what ivf does to all of you! Striping the joy out of these moments. I feel lucky to be technically pregnant but am so so scared for Wed. This is our last chance to give our 7yo son a little brother or sister. Furthermore it’s been a long long road with 4 rounds of ivf, multiple failures. and then more recently a missed miscarriage. On the plus side this embryo has been PGS tested. It has made it this far!! My hcg has been strong and rising well. I had a recent test 5 days ago due to some spotting so I know the indicators are there. But I truly can’t shake the feeling that it’s all going to be ripped away from me on Wed. I’ve had three bouts of spotting which caused me to panic! Please tell me I’m not the only one who feels crazy like this. I would love to hear from anyone who can remember what they were feeling in the days up to the early scan (symptoms etc) and the outcome.