OMG! Four sacs!!

I am due Dec 2… just went in today for my first u/s and there are FOUR sacs!!! The dr thinks only one will make it. One is dominant and two are about half the size of the big one and then the last one is smaller than the two… I don’t know what to think??

What happens to the sac if the “don’t make it”? Do I bleed? Do they vanish? How does all this work? I have had 5 m/c in the past and I just want to be mentally prepared for anything here. I was so stunned at the u/s that I barely asked any questions. I have to wait two weeks to go back to see how many are viable. I begged to come back earlier but the dr said it is best to wait the two weeks and we will really know then how many are viable versus guessing until then. I am SO nervous!!

Anyone had any experience with multiple sacs and what was the outcome? Thanks for ANY input!!!

Wow! sounds like a blessing and a curse. The embryos that don’t make it should simply be reabsorbed by your body, much like a vanishing twin.

I do question your docs decision to wait so long before the next u/s. If there are 4 viable babies in there they (and you) are all at extra risk and you might need to consider selective reduction (not saying this to be upsetting)

I hope everything works out for you. And an extra big congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

congratulations!!
4 sacs is a lot but can be a miracle too!! I have twin girls… when i had my u/s the first 3 months my b twin was always smaller, the drs told me weekly their not sure if it will survive… each week there was a heartbeat, and when i got to week 20 they said b is still smaller but looks great for survival. i was a nervous wreck the entire time. A and B turned out perfect, but we did not know for awhile but we decieded no matter what the drs say, we would let it take its course and go from there and we are sooo lucky and blessed to have 2 beautiful baby girls.
good luck, i say dont lose faith!

Wow, congrats! When we saw 2 sacs we were shocked, cant imagine 4!!! Good luck :woohoo:

Thank you girls for those who replied!

Christa - I have the same questions as you about why do I have to wait two weeks for viability when a decision may have to be made if mother nature doesn’t make it for us!! I am SO nervous and scared of the possibilities here!!!

Thanks again for the support!!

Hi Shannon,

I hope everything goes well for you on this pregnancy! As to waiting for the next ultrasound and doing selective reduction, if it does come down to SR for you, it is done at 11 or 12 weeks. They will probably check the babies to see if it looks like any of them have any serious issues to help you decide which ones you’d reduce.

I hope things go smoothly for you, good luck.

[quote=SassyGurl]Hi Shannon,

I hope everything goes well for you on this pregnancy! As to waiting for the next ultrasound and doing selective reduction, if it does come down to SR for you, it is done at 11 or 12 weeks. They will probably check the babies to see if it looks like any of them have any serious issues to help you decide which ones you’d reduce.

I hope things go smoothly for you, good luck.[/quote]

Thank you very much for your thoughts!! I REALLY hope it does not come down to SR… all I can do at this point is let mother nature take its course! Thanks again!

[quote=ShannonD]Thank you girls for those who replied!

Christa - I have the same questions as you about why do I have to wait two weeks for viability when a decision may have to be made if mother nature doesn’t make it for us!! I am SO nervous and scared of the possibilities here!!!

Thanks again for the support!![/quote]

I think he’s making you wait because at 7 1/2 weeks it is still questionable if some have heart beats and some don’t. But at 8 1/2 weeks all embryos should have HB’s for sure. The ones that don’t aren’t viable at that point and will start to measure smaller and smaller.

I had 3 emby’s transferred, 2 stuck and 1 split. The one that split, only one baby had a heart beat and the other vanished in a 2 week time period. My RE didn’t do my first ultrasound until 8 weeks, let me come back at 9 weeks and it was already measuring smaller. By 10 weeks you couldn’t even see it, but keep in mind it shared a sack with my now healthy 14 week old Thomas. I’m not really sure how long it will take for a whole sack to completely vanish.

For you, at this point, I think it could go either way! I feel like in the end you’ll still be giving birth to multiples. Congratulations!

Hi Shannon, I just checked your signature today to see how your ultrasound went - congratulations on the one healthy bean! Have a happy and healthy pregnancy!!

I had to check your siggy too. I saw it when you first posted and thought I replioed but I dont see it? I may not have but I was thinking about it at least, heehee…
Congrats one the 1 baby :slight_smile:

Yes! There is ONE baby in there! I got to see/hear the HB which means alot b/c with my previous 5 m/c, I never got to the point of hearing the HB… I always m/c before the heartbeat could be seen/heard. Thanks for checking on me!!