on a lighter note...

On a lighter note:

I had my baseline US today, and they put me in the room and told me to disrobe from the waist down. I don’t know if they got busy or forgot about me or what, but I just sat on the table with that stupid napkin/towel thing over my lower half for a half hour!!

I just sat there giggling at the situation, I wanted to go find out where the RE was, and how much longer it was going to be, but I didn’t have any pants on! Haha, I was just stuck there. I kept picturing myself somehow forming a skirt out of the towel and venturing into the hall, but somehow that didn’t seem like a good option.

Does anyone else have any good embarrassing/funny stories from the RE’s office? Sometimes we all just need a good laugh, there is some hilarity in this infertility madness :slight_smile:

Yesterday, after my IUI, my RE noticed my DH’s E-reader, and they had a conversation about it and other E-readers/tablets for a good 5 or 10 minutes while I laid on the table (also naked from the waist down and covered with the paper drape). The RE even kept resting his arm on my knee while they talked.

I was amused! :slight_smile:

Haha! I have a good one. My old clinic has one bathroom between two exam rooms so you go in and lock the other door so no one walks in on you from the other exam room. Well I was in one of the exam rooms geting an ultrasound when another patient walks into my room from the bathroom! She forgot which door she was supposed to go out of to get to HER exam room and came in MINE! Oops! It was actually pretty funny and at some point you’re so used to showing strangers your va-jay-jay that it’s no big deal!

This was a great idea for a thread…need some humor in our adventures!

My office has two RE’s. one female, one male. Once you’re “assigned” to one, you generally always see that one. I got the female. So, for months and months now I’m pretty use to seeing her walk in and see all of my girlie parts. Then, last week the male RE walks in out of the blue. I already had my feet up and this really caught me off guard. I mean, I’ve never said two words to this guy before! The nurse told me later that I had a look of shock on my face.
Needless to say I was pretty quiet during the internal ultrasound and I covered up real quick when he was done.
He says, “well…looks like we’re ready to trigger. Did you bring the shot?” To which I reply “yes”. So he just sits there and I just sit there staring at each other. Then I realized he was waiting for me to walk naked from the waist down across the room to my purse to fish out the medicine. I said, “Look Dr. H…, I know you’re a doc and everything and you just saw all my unmentionables but could you give me a few minutes to get myself presentable and I’ll bring the medicine out to you.”

The nurse was dying laughing…
I hear through the grapevine he went to the girl RE and said, "I think she prefers you…"
hahah

My last IUI was really painful and a new RE was doing while my normal RE came in held my hand and gave me his lucky key chain to hold and then yelled at my DH for not holding my hand the whole time LOL

North: I am so glad you started this thread. We for sure need some laughter in our lives no doubt.

So here is my story.

On the day of my baseline u/s I was up on the table undressed from the waist down. Now my RE’s office didn’t have the little foot steps for you to stand on to get on the table or off of the the table, much less to prop your feet on to put your feet in the stirrups. So I am sitting on the table with my feet dangling when he walks in and sets down right in front of me none the less. He tells me to put my feet up and I could not for the life of me stay on that table and get my feet in those stirrups. I had my feet on his knees pushing off of him to scoot my butt up farther on the table. I got one foot in the stirrup and was trying to get the other one up there and it slipped out and my heel of my foot caught him right on his thigh muscle. He let out a huff/groan and I was like…Ooops…Sorry. Needless to say I felt like an idiot with no coordination at all. LOL

@lovinmybabies: seriously, LOL.

Nurses usually do the scannings and the IUIs at the clinic I go to, but one day there were several nurses off sick, so it ended up being The Professor who did the CD12 u/s. It was really awkward because the clinic is at the hospital I work at (I’m a nurse), so I was wearing the top half of my uniform and nothing on my bottom half, and scissors and things kept falling out of my pockets while I was lying on the table. He didn’t say anything at all while he did the scanning, just jabbed the horrible wand around. Finally after all this silence he looks at me (at my face that is) and says “You’re really good at making eggs.”

Gee, thanks so much.

OP - your situation is similar to mine, but I DID fashion a skirt from that ridiculously thin pink paper towel looking thing.

I was sent to the wrong u/s room. The tech comes in and tells me we’re in the wrong room and I’m “skinny enough” LOL to just wrap the paper-towel around me. I was like, what? But, I did as I was told and walked down the hall w/ my bare butt covered - I hope - by that piece of paper.

At my first RE appt he did a complete physical exam, lab work, u/s, and pelvic exam to make sure everything looked correct and I had all the right parts. (I’ve never been pregnant or ever tried to get pregnant so he wanted to make sure I had everything I am supposed to, hehe.) My DH went with me this time, b/c I had such a horrid experience with the last RE I went to.

So I am laying on the table with my feet in the stirrups and DH is sitting in a chair by my head. The last thing the RE did was the manual exam to check for PID and endo. (You know the part where his fingers are inside while he presses on your belly. I am sure there is a proper name for that type of exam, but I don’t know it.)

That is the first time DH has ever been with me for a pelvic exam, etc. We are leaving and are in the car and he looks at me and says, “What the heck was the doctor doing at the end? And where the hell were his fingers!”

I just started cracking up. I had to inform him of the whole process for a yearly pelvic exam/pap. It was just kinda funny!

[quote=SilvereLyning]At my first RE appt he did a complete physical exam, lab work, u/s, and pelvic exam to make sure everything looked correct and I had all the right parts. (I’ve never been pregnant or ever tried to get pregnant so he wanted to make sure I had everything I am supposed to, hehe.) My DH went with me this time, b/c I had such a horrid experience with the last RE I went to.

So I am laying on the table with my feet in the stirrups and DH is sitting in a chair by my head. The last thing the RE did was the manual exam to check for PID and endo. (You know the part where his fingers are inside while he presses on your belly. I am sure there is a proper name for that type of exam, but I don’t know it.)

That is the first time DH has ever been with me for a pelvic exam, etc. We are leaving and are in the car and he looks at me and says, “What the heck was the doctor doing at the end? And where the hell were his fingers!”

I just started cracking up. I had to inform him of the whole process for a yearly pelvic exam/pap. It was just kinda funny![/quote]

Hahahahaha!!! Tiff that is tooo funny!!! I know my husband was the same way when he went the first time with me to have a pelvic exam done. He had that furrowed brow look on his face like…that is my wife why are your fingers in her…hahaha!

love this thread - I can releate to nearly everything here. I have a story too

I go to all my appointments by myself because my DH has a totally inflexiable job… so at my IUI yesterday the RE was trying to make general conversation. As this was my 2nd IUI I knew what to expect with the procedure and we got right into it. He prepared everything and I stuck my legs in the sturrups and he made a comment “Are you nice and comfortable?”. I quickly replied back, “Yeah, and this is the way I always dreamed of making a baby”. He started laughing so hard which of course made me laugh. It was a nice way to break the tension that I felt, but I am pretty sure he is oblivious to

in 8 years of fertility treatments, i actually have SEVERAL funny stories, but here are a few…

• 8 yrs ago when TTC DD#1, i had to go to the RE for that initial work-up, and his NP did my whole exam portion. at the end of the work-up, she did the rectal exam (as part of the American cancer society recommendations) and she says "i’m just gonna tickle your prostate here “A”,(ok, i’m a female, just to clarify) and then she goes “WHOOOOO” really high pitched when she does it! DH is sitting there in the room with me not sure what was going on, but we had a good laugh about it later…

• When i first conceived DD 8 yrs ago, i had early bleeding and cramping and the brought me in for a threatened miscarriage. my mom drove 40 minutes to my work to get me and take me, so she was with me, but i’m totally ok with her there. anyway, my RE comes into the ultrasound room and he ALWAYS does the vag ultrasound. so he sits down, starts making small talk, and grabs hold of that “wand” that they use for the ultrasound. he lubes it up, says hello to my mom, and then goes “oh sh**. can you just hold this for a minute? i forgot to give the last patient her script”. so here i lay, in the stirrups, holding this “wand” (we all know what it looks like!!!) waiting for him…

• this time around, for our first IUI we had to meet RE in the office on a saturday morning. just him and us. DH got to produce his sample at home and we took it with us. when he handed the RE the cup, RE goes “all right sport. go get em. looks like a successful session” and such…RE has 10 kids of his own, and i know his wife. she says he’s got this sick sense of humor all the time…

• FINALLY…i had these benign tumors called dermoids on BOTH ovaries prior to conceiving DD. i had to have surgery to remove both of them, and this was pretty early in the fertility process. i was pretty young and not yet seasoned to the nature of infertility. so in the hospital, RE asks me if it’s ok if a few medical residents come and have a feel at these tumors ( you know, the internal hand exam) to have them on both sides at once is fairly rare, so he was explaining that i was this awesome teaching tool…that they’d probably never get to see this again in their practice. i was thinking like 2 or 3 residents, instead he parades into the room with like 18 young doctors! and some of them were really good looking…i tried to take it in stride, and the hottest of the bunch sits down at the end of the table, takes his turn palpating these things, gets up, de-gloves and hands me a card. he says “here’s my number. at least let me buy you dinner after this sort of groping fest”. okay, i was mortified at first, but he was being kind and we ALL had a really really good laugh about it!

good that we can all laugh through this. if you can’t laugh, you’ll just cry. and nobody has that many tears!
-A-

[quote=angelcare75]* FINALLY…i had these benign tumors called dermoids on BOTH ovaries prior to conceiving DD. i had to have surgery to remove both of them, and this was pretty early in the fertility process. i was pretty young and not yet seasoned to the nature of infertility. so in the hospital, RE asks me if it’s ok if a few medical residents come and have a feel at these tumors ( you know, the internal hand exam) to have them on both sides at once is fairly rare, so he was explaining that i was this awesome teaching tool…that they’d probably never get to see this again in their practice. i was thinking like 2 or 3 residents, instead he parades into the room with like 18 young doctors! and some of them were really good looking…i tried to take it in stride, and the hottest of the bunch sits down at the end of the table, takes his turn palpating these things, gets up, de-gloves and hands me a card. he says “here’s my number. at least let me buy you dinner after this sort of groping fest”. okay, i was mortified at first, but he was being kind and we ALL had a really really good laugh about it!

good that we can all laugh through this. if you can’t laugh, you’ll just cry. and nobody has that many tears!
-A-[/quote]

OMG - that is awesomely terrible.

Well where I go is a teaching facility so there is always new clinical fellows. I am more comfortable with females examining me but the doctor on duty the 3 days I had my u/s was male and I couldn’t request a female. So on Sunday, I knew the procedure by now so I did bw and got undressed waist down and sat on table. Now mind you when I get nervous, I fart. So instead of usual office, the nurse puts me in the office at the end of the hall. So I am just farting away and trying to fan my booty at the same time. So 10 mins go by, then 20 mins go by, then 30 mins go by and I am thinking to myself what is going on. So by this time I have worked myself up into a fart fest. So as I am farting the clinical fellow finally comes running in the room. He was like there you are Ms. H. I thought you left. I had everyone looking for you. Then he gets this look on his face and I am cracking up inside because I have no sense of smell so I am sure my farts were rank but I thought to myself thats what happens when you don’t keep track of your patients. They just sit in a room and fart to themselves. loll

I love this thread.

My first IUI went really smoothly. I didn’t know what to expect at all. So, I am lying there and I feel him put in the speculum, then about a minute later he stands up and takes off his gloves. I look at him and say “are you done?” He says “I know I am your doctor and all, but just a word of advice–don’t ever ask a guy who is down there if he is done.” I must have turned bright red.

LOL [B]ToyisTTC [/B]and [B]FormerJerseyGirl[/B]…those are great!

I love this thread so much! Thank you to everyone who shared!