One blocked tube according to the HSG

Hi all,
I am new here. I am 31 years old. I have one blocked tube according to the HSG. Otherwise, I have unexplained infertility. I have had one timed intercourse cycle with Femara and one IUI with Tamoxifen. Both cycles went well with two follicles (one each side) at the time of Ovidrel. Both were unsuccessful.
My RE is offering IVF vs IUI with injectables. I can’t decide. I don’t want to waste time and money on more IUI if it will not be unsuccessful.
How many months does it take to get started with IVF once you commit? Does the egg harvest happen one month and then implant the following?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Looking for any advice.
Thanks!

I’m no help as far as IUI vs IVF as we only had IVF as an option, but as far as IVF goes a lot of it is clinic specific. At my clinic you probably have about a 2-3 month wait from the time you commit until you have your retrieval, as they cycle in groups. Other clinics cycle everyone at different times so you could start the process at any time. There is typically testing that needs to be done before you start, but maybe you’ve had some of that done already for your IUI’s. I have always had my Transfers 5 days after my retrieval, though I have heard of occasions in which they will freeze the embryos and transfer them later (if you are doing genetic testing or are at high risk of OHSS).
If you have insurance coverage sometimes they require a certain process (X # of IUI prior to IVF) if not, I’d have my RE lay out what they thought the chances were of either choice.

Hi ral,

I had quite a few IUIs, all failed, and am skipping straight to IVF because statistically it is our best option. I don’t know much yet and am still learning quite a bit about it, but I do know that the time between when they retrieve your eggs from your ovaries and the time they transfer them is no more than five days. The rest will be frozen, or dealt with according to whatever your plans are.

No one seems to recognize this, but the HSG is a screening test. It is too inaccurate to be used to make a definitive diagnosis. You have to have a laparoscopy done to be sure that the tube is blocked.

Most people try IUI before moving on to IVF. The primary reason is cost. If IVF didn’t cost so much more than IUI, it would make sense for more people to move to IVF sooner. You don’t say whether you are covered by insurance.

I skipped straight to IVF primarily because of my age. I didn’t have time to waste on IUI, which only marginally increases your chances of getting pregnant. But you are still young. I think most people in your position would try IUI.

Ral: I am kinda in the same boat. I have to choose between IUI and IVF. I have never done either so I am totally new to it. I have read in different places that most of the women had success in the 2nd or 3rd IUI cycle. Just go through some of the larger post and read the signatures, it will tell you a lot.
I wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully everyone will end up with a healthy baby.

Just my opinion…I did 3 iuis. While I’m glad I tried, looking back it was expensive with not a lot of difference in success rates than trying on our own. We spent about $9,000 for the 3 IUIs with 18% chance and $10,000 for ivf with 50-70% chance of success.

Welcome to the boards! This is a great place to come for support. Sorry to hear about your negative cycles, if you can afford to go for the IVF, then it has the best odds of being successful. That does not mean an IUI could not be, but it may take more attempts. Good luck to you!! I hope the next cycle is the one for you!

The IVF cycle can happen pretty quickly. I had my consult on Weds, 17 Aug. He scheduled me for surgery to have my tubes removed 2 days later. One week later AF came and I started stims. 7 Sep I had my eggs retrieved, 12 Sep I did the transfer. 19 Sep i was pregnant. So basically one month after I met my RE for the first time i was already pregnant. He told me that during the consult too. He said in about a month from now you can be pregnant. Boy was he right…we got twins! 4 months along now…

[QUOTE=Laurucha]No one seems to recognize this, but the HSG is a screening test. It is too inaccurate to be used to make a definitive diagnosis. You have to have a laparoscopy done to be sure that the tube is blocked.

Most people try IUI before moving on to IVF. The primary reason is cost. If IVF didn’t cost so much more than IUI, it would make sense for more people to move to IVF sooner. You don’t say whether you are covered by insurance.

I skipped straight to IVF primarily because of my age. I didn’t have time to waste on IUI, which only marginally increases your chances of getting pregnant. But you are still young. I think most people in your position would try IUI.[/QUOTE]
CONGRATS on the twins!!!

[quote=angelcakes225]CONGRATS on the twins!!![/quote]Aw, thanks! There is still a long road ahead, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Praying for a healthy pregnancy.