Ovarian Stimulation Monitoring: Yes or No?

Hello! I’m totally new to the IVF world, and there is SO much to learn. I’m trying to get as educated as I can before my first consultation appointment. One thing I noticed about the place we will likely go is that there are two costs for IVF—one is with Ovarian Stimulation Monitoring and one is without.

How do you decide if you should do it? What are the pros/cons?

Any information you can share to help me better understand this aspect of IVF would be so appreciated!

I cannot imagine how you would do a cycle without monitoring your ovaries? The doctor needs to check the sizes of your follicles regularly to see how they are progressing and to determine when to retrieve the eggs. Am I missing something? How could they do ivf without monitoring?

You definitely need & want to know how you are responding 5o the medication. You also want to know how many follicles you are producing. You want yo ovoid OHSS, which is over stimulation. This can make you very sick. Other than that most doctors start you off with pills known as clomid & do ultrasounds to verify your progress. If that fails they’ll introduce you to injectable drugs or IVF if needed. Best of luck & always ask questions! Again my advice is to get treatment with monitoring.

Thanks, this makes sense. Based on what you both have said, I don’t know under what circumstances people choose not to do it. Perhaps it is simply for out of towners who will have the monitoring done elsewhere, so they offer two prices…?

Other question, if you don’t mind, but is the same true for PGD testing? Something that is wise to do?

I have never heard of IVF without monitoring. I can’t imagine why it would be one price with and one price without. I would think that monitoring is a necessary part of any ART. I would be interested to hear what they say about that after your meeting. Where are you going for the consult?

Advanced Fertility in Illinois. After reading this, and looking back at the website, I do actually think it is offered this way for out of town patients that choose to do the monitoring piece in their hometown.

That makes sense.

I’d suggest PGD testing if you have the money for it. It’s a great opportunity especially to rule out chromosome abnormalities & a possible miscarriage.

[QUOTE=aimeep25]Advanced Fertility in Illinois. After reading this, and looking back at the website, I do actually think it is offered this way for out of town patients that choose to do the monitoring piece in their hometown.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. I went here, but I live in FL and was monitored by a local RE. As for PGD, consult with Dr. Sherbahn and let him discuss with you if he feels it is something you need. Although we had three failed cycles in FL, he did not feel it was something we needed.

If I had to guess they must do that for their out of town patients because there is really no way I can imagine IVF being done without monitoring. It’s just impossible, dangerous and even, in rare cases…could be deadly.

If you don’t know how many follies you have, how they’re growing, when they’re mature you don’t know how to adjust your meds, when to trigger, when to retrieve, etc…you also wouldn’t know if you were prone to OHSS…

I would definitely do it with monitoring - at least - assume you are going to have to do monitoring if not with that RE then with another if you’re out of town. So, do factor in that cost when planning.

GL!