Overwhelmed by in vitro!

Hi, first time poster. I don’t know why I didn’t think to look for forums sooner but I am in the midst of my first round of IVF/ICSI.

I started Lupron on April 18 and just started Follistim (250), Menopur (75) between 4 & 6 pm, and dexamethason today 4/26/13. For some of the more experienced posters out there where does that put me on the calendar and what should I expect in the days to come?

This is our first round of any sort of assisted reproductive procedure so we pretty much went from zero to ICSI. It’s overwhelming and I’m feeling pretty lost.

Most people do stims (the follistim and menopur part of your fun ride) for about 10 days (I’ve stimmed for as little as 6 days and as long as 12), depending on response. I don’t know about lupron protocols, but I usually have an appointment after 4 days of stims for blood work and ultrasound to see how things are progressing. Then usually an appointment every other day or every day until trigger shot day.

I know it’s overwhelming, but we’re here to help! Good luck!

Kcsquared- :welcome:to the wonderful world of IVF. I totally understand how you feel. When we did IVF the first time I felt the same way. I didn’t know what all the acronyms meant or what to expect. I can’t remember how I found this forum but it was a God send for sure. The women on here are very knowledgeable and have no problem helping you and supporting you every step of the way.

I agree with essemkay- since you just started stims yesterday, you will probably do that for the next week to week and half depending on your response. One thing that I suggest is to write down when and which side of your body you gave each shot. I found it too hard to remember that stuff as each day went on. You will go in for frequent checks of your progress so that they can see how you are stimming and whether any adjustments have to be made to the meds. They will also check your estrogen levels and the growth of your follicles to figure out when to tell you to do the trigger shot the day before ER (egg retrieval). Your ET (egg transfer) will generally be 3 days (3d) or 5 days (5d) post your egg retrieval. That will depend largely I think on the developnment of your embryos after they fertilize, how many you have, age etc. Then you enter the hell known as the 2 week wait (2ww). That is after transfer but before your Beta (pregnancy test via blood work). You will go back and forth with yourself whether to poas (pee on a stick i.e. hpt home pregnancy test) and pray the whole time that it is positive. When it is positive (have to think positive) you will then enter another 2ww but this will be for your ultrasound. I am sure if I got anything wrong or missed anything people will fill in the blanks or make corrections. LOL. I am sorry this is so long, I just wanted to give you a summary of what to expect in general.

Ask as many questions as you like because chances are someone here has already experienced whatever you may have questions about.

Good luck. :babydust::babydust::babydust: and :bsv:

Thanks so much for your responses! Day two of injectibles went a lot more smoothly than the first.
This will most likely be our first and only fresh round as my husband has cystic fibrosis and has had an organ transplant. What we froze before his surgery is all we got so we are hoping hoping hoping for success. Feeling much better knowing there is a community here to lean on with questions and perspective!

Waiting waiting

My clinic does first come first serve blood draw and ultrasound which means waking up at the crack of dawn to sit in the hallways for 7AM until they open at 7:30 so you’re first in line. Monday was my first u/s after starting stims. I think I heard her say five follicles on the left and 7 on the right. I don’t know if more show up?
I’m back here in the hallways and the nurse just showed up so I guess we’ll know more soon.

[quote=KCsquared]My clinic does first come first serve blood draw and ultrasound which means waking up at the crack of dawn to sit in the hallways for 7AM until they open at 7:30 so you’re first in line. Monday was my first u/s after starting stims. I think I heard her say five follicles on the left and 7 on the right. I don’t know if more show up?
I’m back here in the hallways and the nurse just showed up so I guess we’ll know more soon.[/quote]
That’s a crazy way to do things! Mine sets appointments. Although, I do still spend a lot of time sitting in hallways waiting on benches … :slight_smile:

My RE doesn’t measure follicles until they’re over 10mm, so before that, the tech just gives a ballpark figure. Then when they hit the sweet spot, she measures each one individually. I’m annoying, so I have her print me out an extra copy of everything, and then when they call with my hormone levels, I write them on that. That way, I can more easily obsess and bug the crap out of everyone! :smiley:

Hope you have a great appointment today!

I think essemkay and Nilah pretty much summed it up in a nutshell. Writing things down helped me with my second cycle and I was very strict with myself about the times I gave my shots (knowing very well if I was a little later one day than another it was not a big deal). I’m shocked that your place has a first come first serve method of doing things! Maybe you should invest in one of those seat cushions for when you are waiting in the hallway :stuck_out_tongue:
This forum is a saving grace for sure! I was beyond overwhelmed with the first cycle and then I joined here - the women are such an amazing support staff they soon become a second family to you.
Wishing you all the very best with your cycle!

Update!

The appointment today went well! Largest follicle is at 15 (I am so bad about getting the specifics) and then the rest traile down from there. Just got the call back from the nurse that labs looked good and they’re keeping me on 225 of follistim, 75 menopur. I go back Friday AM and trigger will be Friday night or Saturday night putting retrieval on Sunday or Monday!

Good luck kc… I will tell u from experience - the 2 week wait ( the first one :)) is the craziest - try to distract itself as much as possible!

More waiting -

Waiting seems to be the name of this game! I’m back in the hallways waiting for the clinic to open its doors for another b/d and u/s. on Wednesday the nurse told me I might trigger either today or tomorrow. I am really hoping for today because I am feeling just so so weird.

The first few days on injections I felt completely normal. Maybe on day 2 or 3 just a slight bit “twingy” in the ovaries. Starting a day or so ago (day 6-7) my appetite disappeared and I started feeling really full and like I’m waddling around. I had heard about emotional side effects which I don’t think I’m experiencing at all but was less aware of the physical ones. It’s just so weird because its not really painful but just strangely uncomfortable.
Hopefully the appt goes well and I’ll know more in a few hours once labs get back!

KC- we have somewhat similar backgrounds. Our issue is MF as well, due to CF. But in this case, DH is a carrier for CF and that one mutation he has caused the infertility. Were you tested to see if you carry the gene? Are you going to test the embryos for CF?

Hey Gigi! My husband has double Delta f508 so we already know that all of our very much hoped for future babies will be carriers because no matter what they inherit one copy from him. I did however get tested to see if I was a carrier and I am not! At least not any of the mutations that are tested for. We are not planning on testing the embryos for CF.
What is your story? I’m glad you were able to get mutation information! Are you planning on testing embryo’s? Sorry if too many questions!
We have ER then ICSI then ET next week! Getting very excited :slight_smile:

[quote=KCsquared]Hey Gigi! My husband has double Delta f508 so we already know that all of our very much hoped for future babies will be carriers because no matter what they inherit one copy from him. I did however get tested to see if I was a carrier and I am not! At least not any of the mutations that are tested for. We are not planning on testing the embryos for CF.
What is your story? I’m glad you were able to get mutation information! Are you planning on testing embryo’s? Sorry if too many questions!
We have ER then ICSI then ET next week! Getting very excited :)[/quote]

I forget the exact mutation number. Its 40-?? In the 400s…as like to say. That mutation can cause very mild symptoms…colds/sinus/congestion. DH has bad sinus problems, but that is not a part of the mutation. Just bad sinuses. Lol. His mutation causes parts of or entire lack of vas deferens. So in his case, he has parts of that section missing. The connection is not whole (in other words). So not a lot of semen is produced. RE says we can get enough from him w/out aspirating. We can joke now, and I always say you’re the reason, yet I’m the one who’s going to grow through all of it? even got out of aspiration? He says “tough.” Yeah, we couldn’t joke before.

RE said straight to ICSI before he even knew what was causing it, only b/c the counts were so bad. I start BC after my cycle on the 20th. Hopefully we’ll be pregnant in July. We will not test the embryos. I’m not a carrier. So he said our baby has a 50% of being a carrier. That being said, he said if it’s a boy, we could ask that they test a wider range of mutations so we can know if he will have the same IF problems later. If it’s a girl, she could be a carrier, but it doesn’t affect a girl’s IF. Later on, if she was a carrier and had a boy, then taht would be another baby to test. Am I confusing you? Lol. Took me a while to think of all the possible outcomes.

Here’s the thing…no one in the family has CF…that we know of. His mom was in denial for a long time when I told her why we couldn’t have kids. Said, “How? No one has it.” (in spanish it’s very different. Lol) she wanted a second opinion. Finally convinced her it wouldn’t change the outcome. But then his cousin had a boy (second child) and she said the dr did a sweat test on him to see if he has CF. So sad. Still waiting on results. I told her about us (the fam knows we can’t have kids, but they don’t know the details.) So maybe they do have it in the family and have just been lucky this whole time. It’s a large family and half of them are men who have all had children. So they don’t have it. But maybe the females are passing it on.

Anyway, sorry for the long story. I get excited when I meet someone who knows what it’s like with our specific problem. Not many are just MF…and then fewer b/c of CF mutations.

Another day…

Just heard back from my clinic. 100 follistim and 75 menopur tonight with b/w and ultrasound tomorrow and maybe again on Sunday. more bright and early waiting! :slight_smile:

Trigger will be tomorrow night or Sunday night looks like. My largest follicle was 18x18 today, no 17’s, 3 16’s, then down from there. I will be very happy when this part is done!!
How is everybody else doing???

Triggered!

Just did my trigger shot! I tell you what - every day blood draw & ultrasound (including Saturday and Sunday!) was no fun. But retrieval is scheduled for Tuesday morning at 7:30AM. I was really really really hoping it would have been sooner because I am so bloated and miserable but oh well. I am thinking of calling in to work tomorrow because I don’t know how in the world I could button nice pants (yoga clothes all weekend!!)

Also… My nurse said bed rest for 3 days after transfer??? How is it possible to stay still that long???

Just wanted to wish you well at your retrieval! We also just finished our first IVF and it’s such a roller coaster. The “waddle” is very uncomfortable, but I felt a lot better by transfer ( we didn’t have OHSS, though). Sounds like you have a great number and size of follies, and also a great attitude!

I’ve seen a variety of suggestions on bedrest. My clinic tells you to lay low the day of transfer, but beyond that resume normal activities. I’m an elementary music teacher and was back at school, on my feet all day, the day after transfer. I did try to sit more and take it easy when I could. We ended up getting a :bfp: , so it must not have been a big deal! I read somewhere that only 5% of BFNs are implantation issues. While you probably don’t want to run a marathon or jump on a trampoline during those days, just try to sit a lot and take it easy…but you don’t have to lay on the couch nonstop. If all women had to do that, nobody would have a baby :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you…will be checking to see how things go!

Here we go!

Headed down to the main clinic (1.5 hrs away) for ER! The hubs and I didn’t sleep well I think from the anticipation. And I am starving! I hate no food or drink after midnight! I’m hoping things go smoothly… I have my very last final of grad school this evening :slight_smile:
Wish us luck!

Good luck today! I hope you get a lot of wonderful eggs!

And good luck on your final - I’m usually a little loopy for a while after retrieval, hope that’s not your experience! :slight_smile:

Eleven (11)

Dr. said everything looked great and he got 11 eggs. The anasthesiologist said I snored! Ha!
I don’t know if 11 is a little or a lot but that’s what we’ve got! Feeling slightly loopy and looking forward to a nice nap once we get home. Apparently my estrogen was very high so we are on high salt intake for the next few days to help reduce chances of OHSS. Not sure i follow the logic but whatever. :slight_smile:
ET tentative on Sunday.
I saw a board for May IVF cycles but I feel like I missed the boat on joining that thread.
Ok, sleep! Hope everyone is doing well :slight_smile:

Update

So day after retrieval my nurse called and said of our 11 eggs only 3 fertilized. I was pretty devastated because I just couldn’t see any of them making it to day 5 transfer. The negativity was overwhelming, I just couldn’t come up with any positive thoughts.
Today the nurse called with news that 2 more fertilized so now we have 5/11. We will know more about staging tomorrow with expected transfer on Mother’s Day (meant to be???)
Still on high salt diet plus some other medication to help with OHSS. Not quite as uncomfortable as yesterday but boy it would have been nice to have taken off work!
Feeling cautiously optimistic…