Ovidrel trigger shot but no other meds- worth it??

Hi folks! Hubby and I are ready to do our first IUI cycle this month, with donor sperm. We’re extremely excited. We had planned to go unmedicated as my cycles are regular and my bloodwork is good, but my doctor has mentioned that I might consider using Ovidrel the day before the IUI. We aren’t using Clomid or any other meds. This cycle will be monitored, though- we will do an u/s and blood work the day of LH surge, and another blood test 7-8 days post-IUI to make sure I actually ovulated.

So, the big question is- since we’re otherwise unmedicated and will be monitoring, is the Ovidrel trigger worth doing? It’s not covered by my insurance, so we’re looking at $140. If it’s not going to make any difference (I’m pretty sure I ovulate every month anyway), is there any other benefit?

Also, has anyone had bad reactions to Ovidrel? My nurse assures me the only side effect is discomfort at the injection site…seems too good to be true.

The only benefit a trigger would do is to help with timing since you are using DS. IUI is all about timing, so why not give it the best advantage?

I have never had any bad reaction to my triggers. Some get strong pregnancy like symptoms and others (like me) don’t. You could get some tenders boobs to feeling sick.

[quote=DL2006]Hi folks! Hubby and I are ready to do our first IUI cycle this month, with donor sperm. We’re extremely excited. We had planned to go unmedicated as my cycles are regular and my bloodwork is good, but my doctor has mentioned that I might consider using Ovidrel the day before the IUI. We aren’t using Clomid or any other meds. This cycle will be monitored, though- we will do an u/s and blood work the day of LH surge, and another blood test 7-8 days post-IUI to make sure I actually ovulated.

So, the big question is- since we’re otherwise unmedicated and will be monitoring, is the Ovidrel trigger worth doing? It’s not covered by my insurance, so we’re looking at $140. If it’s not going to make any difference (I’m pretty sure I ovulate every month anyway), is there any other benefit?

Also, has anyone had bad reactions to Ovidrel? My nurse assures me the only side effect is discomfort at the injection site…seems too good to be true.[/quote]

Although I did do Femera with my cycle (days 3-7)- I opted for the shot too (paid for all out of pocket) - Thought it would only improve my chances… I also ovulate on my own and I was even doing the OPKs starting on day 8. Got a positive on Day 10, called the clinic, went in to do the shot and then 24 hours after did the IUI…Just leaves less room for error, I think. (BTW we are also using DS)

I didn’t have any side effects from the shot - except for hating shots :slight_smile:

Good luck and :babydust: to you!!

The HCG can act as LH and aid in the final maturation process of the follicle thereby allowing it to be potentially more functional at producing needed progesterone levels for the luteal phase and can help to sustain a pregnancy should one occur.

If your body puts off enough LH then I am honestly not sure if adding more hcg would make a difference in aiding in this final maturation or not, but I assume it would since it in essence assures that you will ovulate the egg within a certain amount of time following it’s use which is it’s main benefit when used with an IUI or in timing things just right. It is also known to boost the hormones of the cycle which can also be a good thing and help with implantation (I believe that boost being the better progesterone levels since it aid in the maturation of the follicle and thus in the corpus luteaum after ovulation and thus it’s progesterone production).

Hope that makes sense! :flower:

I say use it! Also, I would check around to see if someone else has the Ovidrel cheaper as when I looked into the cost of ovidrel with freedom fertility pharmacy they quoted me like $65. I didn’t even pay $140 for my Novarel which is the straight HCG you have to mix yourself and is more expensive than Ovidrel so the quote you got seems really high to me.