PCOS and taking Metformin? TTC..

Hello :slight_smile: My husband and I got off BC Oct. 2009 and decided start ttc. Well, I didnt have a period Nov, Dec 2009, Jan - March 2010 then finally on my own I had a cycle that literally lasted March, April, May, June, July…The cycle finally went away and I figured I would let my body do it’s own thing so I just waited for it to start again…well, after waiting Aug-Nov. and not getting a cycle, I finally decided to seek medical help. I was diagnosed with PCOS and prescribed provera to start my cycle and metformin 500 mg (take 2x’s a day) to help with the PCOS and ttc. This is my first month taking it. I wanted to know how your experience was with metformin. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you all.

Hi there! I also have PCOS although it took them a long time to diagnose me because I don’t have many of the usual symptoms. I conceived on clomid and tamoxifen this past summer but m/c at 7wks. My dr said m/c is more common in women with PCOS due to egg quality. He then prescribed me metformin as he said it can help you produce better quality eggs and less chance of m/c. I have been taking 500mg 3X a day for just over a month now. Besides feeling a little more tired at the beginning I don’t feel that much different. I hope a little metformin does the trick for you. Best of luck!

I’ve been on it for a couple years now. Its not bad. I take 1500 mg once a day (they are extended release). I take them at bedtime when I take my vitamins. The only issue I have with them is they make my already sensitive intestines even more sensitive (read…diarrhea). Other than that, not bad. good luck!

[QUOTE=arross13]Hello :slight_smile: My husband and I got off BC Oct. 2009 and decided start ttc. Well, I didnt have a period Nov, Dec 2009, Jan - March 2010 then finally on my own I had a cycle that literally lasted March, April, May, June, July…The cycle finally went away and I figured I would let my body do it’s own thing so I just waited for it to start again…well, after waiting Aug-Nov. and not getting a cycle, I finally decided to seek medical help. I was diagnosed with PCOS and prescribed provera to start my cycle and metformin 500 mg (take 2x’s a day) to help with the PCOS and ttc. This is my first month taking it. I wanted to know how your experience was with metformin. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you all.[/QUOTE]
I have been PCOS since I was a teenager. When Metformin first came about, I was put on it and my period returned after two months and I was pregnant within four months (naturally). My PCOS (and/or egg quality) have worsened with age, and I required IVF for my current pregnancy. But, in my view, Metformin is a miracle drug for insulin resistance/PCOS.