PCOS - Fertility Drug Fermara

:confused:
Hello ladies, I feel a little alone in my situation so I am writing to see if there are even any similar situations out there.

I was first diagnosed with PCOS and put on 1000mg of Metformin a day. After trying this for two cycles, each cycle being three months my doctor pushed it to 2000mg of Metformin a day. After being on the Metformin and Clomid and having no success I finally went to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. Once all of my testing was completed he concluded that I no longer needed to be on the Metformin and took me off of it. He then diagnosed me with having 21- Hydroxylase Deficiency. He then tested my husband and he also tested positive for carrying the gene. So now, we have been waiting 4 months to get into a Genetic Counselor before continuing any further. We have still being trying the natural way every month while waiting but no success. After seeing the Genetic Counselor if we still want to proceed, we will be put on Fermara.

My question to you ladies are, do any of you have a similar or the same diagnosis. Have any of you been put on Fermara to help conceive and what have been the outcomes. I feel very lost and alone in this situation because I cannot find any forums online regarding this deficiency. Any help that you ladies can lend would be fantastic!

I need to also mention that I do have a very healthy beautiful 2yr old baby boy. It took us 3 years to conceive him but we just figured it was timing, we didn’t know we actually had fertility issues. So I believe I CAN conceive since I have him, just wondering how likely my chances are at conceiving again.

I don’t have the 21- Hydroxylase deficiency, but I do have PCOS and just finished my second cycle on Femara. I did two cycles of Clomid as well, but failed to respond the first time. The second time I responded, but my lining was too thin.

Same with the first time on Femara, though the lining was a bit better. This time around I added two injections of Follistim which made a big difference. Femara itself wasn’t too bad - I actually had more side effects on it than on Clomid, but it seems like most people are the opposite. I’m 10DPIUI and have a very faint BFP, but I’m waiting till it gets darker to get excited…just :pray: a lot in the meantime, LOL!

Re: the 21-Hydroxylase deficiency, try looking for forums related to Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH). It looks like the vast majority of CAH cases are due to 21-OH deficiency and CAH is often used interchangeably. This site may be a good place to start and might have references to others: Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia [dot org]

Best of luck, hun!

Hugs,
Steph

Hi ladies-

I also have pcos and this is my second month ive been on clomid and femara at the same time. I’m 2 days past ovulation… dreading this two week wait!

steph, I was curious how many follies you had. I only had one but am so hoping this will be my lucky month.

oh I also have a two year old little girl but have been ttc my second since april no luck yet.
Carissa

Femara

I did one cycle of clomid and I responded but my lining didn’t thicken and the timed intercourse didn’t work. I was then put on femara last month and the month before, along with shots, and that worked better for me. Unfortunately those two IUIs didn’t work. I’m sitting this month out because there were cysts on my ovaries in the baseline ultrasound.