PCOS & Metformin (no insulin resistance)

[FONT=Georgia]Hello ladies! As you can see from my signature I have had a few rounds of treatments. I just switched to a new OB/GYN and he was asking about all of the treatments I have had thus far. Then he asked if I was on metformin. I told him I had my 2 hour glucose test done and my sugar results were perfect; not insulin resistant… not even borderline; so my RE said i wouldn’t need to be on Metformin. Well my gyno said that, even though I don’t have sugar issues, Metformin could still help me with my fertility treatments. He also stated that it’s completely safe all through pregnancy and he would be comfortable with me on it. He recommended me to ask my RE about it just in case. He said that I probably could just be on the lowest dosage…

So my question is, is anyone on Metformin to help aid in fertility even though their sugar is good and are ovulating on their own? Before I started fertility treatment, I lost about 20 lbs and I was ovulating on my own, just had an average 38 day cycle instead of 28. I read online Metformin could also be a preventative to avoid diabetes later on in life. It just makes me nervous to take something if I don’t really need it at this point.

Thanks in advance for your feedback; looking forward to some insight. Sending :babydust::babydust:everyone’s way!![/FONT]

[QUOTE=ForeverHopeful23][FONT=Georgia]Hello ladies! As you can see from my signature I have had a few rounds of treatments. I just switched to a new OB/GYN and he was asking about all of the treatments I have had thus far. Then he asked if I was on metformin. I told him I had my 2 hour glucose test done and my sugar results were perfect; not insulin resistant… not even borderline; so my RE said i wouldn’t need to be on Metformin. Well my gyno said that, even though I don’t have sugar issues, Metformin could still help me with my fertility treatments. He also stated that it’s completely safe all through pregnancy and he would be com

fortable with me on it. He recommended me to ask my RE about it just in case. He said that I probably could just be on the lowest dosage…

So my question is, is anyone on Metformin to help aid in fertility even though their sugar is good and are ovulating on their own? Before I started fertility treatment, I lost about 20 lbs and I was ovulating on my own, just had an average 38 day cycle instead of 28. I read online Metformin could also be a preventative to avoid diabetes later on in life. It just makes me nervous to take something if I don’t really need it at this point.

Thanks in advance for your feedback; looking forward to some insight. Sending :babydust::babydust:everyone’s way!![/FONT][/QUOTE]

Hello there and :welcome: !
I know someone who has had Pcos since she was sixteen yrs old. She was put on clomid and metformin when trying to conceive her second child. Once her gyn put her on the metformin she got pregnant on her second cycle. She now has two girls.

So yes the metformin does sometning to the ovaries. I am not sure if it helps with less production of cysts or the production hormone which causes them. They do say that Pcos has a link to diabetes. Not everyone has been diagnosed with diabetes nor will they get it. Strange thing it is. But yes it did work for someone I know. Just remember it may not be a bad idea to get your hubbys sperm checked too. The last thing you want to have happen is you try with the medication and months later find out his sperm count and motility is not up to par!

Good luck and lots of :babydust: headed your way!

[QUOTE=kalika]Hello there and :welcome: !
I know someone who has had Pcos since she was sixteen yrs old. She was put on clomid and metformin when trying to conceive her second child. Once her gyn put her on the metformin she got pregnant on her second cycle. She now has two girls.

So yes the metformin does sometning to the ovaries. I am not sure if it helps with less production of cysts or the production hormone which causes them. They do say that Pcos has a link to diabetes. Not everyone has been diagnosed with diabetes nor will they get it. Strange thing it is. But yes it did work for someone I know. Just remember it may not be a bad idea to get your hubbys sperm checked too. The last thing you want to have happen is you try with the medication and months later find out his sperm count and motility is not up to par!

Good luck and lots of :babydust: headed your way![/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for your response… I have a consult with my RE at the end of the month so I will def ask her about it. My hubby has had his SA and he was perfect; I had to delete all his results during all of the IUI’s to fit room for characters in my signature LOL. I just want to do whatever I can to make these treatments work… I only have 4 more rounds of injectibles left and then I’m only willing to try IVF one time; it’s starting to scare me. I never dreamed these treatments wouldn’t work for me… especially when I respond so well to treatment. Fingers crossed I can find the right “cocktail” of meds to have a success! Thanks again :grouphug:

I have PCOS and don’t have insulin resistance. Have you had a fasting insulin level? You may find that it’s elevated and may benefit from Metformin. It also has a nice appetite suppressant effect. If you can tolerate the side effects, it may help you mode weight. I lost 40lbs once I started taking it and have been ovulating more regularly.

[QUOTE=Jenny Rae;n2603908]I have PCOS and don’t have insulin resistance. Have you had a fasting insulin level? You may find that it’s elevated and may benefit from Metformin. It also has a nice appetite suppressant effect. If you can tolerate the side effects, it may help you mode weight. I lost 40lbs once I started taking it and have been ovulating more regularly.[/QUOTE]

I agree that metformin may be beneficial for her.