Peanut Allergy?

Hi Ladies,

I’m 23 weeks pregnant and curious if anyone is avoiding peanuts or nuts of any sort during their pregnancy. I don’t have any peanut allergies or a family history of allergies to nuts. But I’ve heard that if you consume a lot of peanuts or peanut butter during pregnancy, it could cause the baby to be allergic to peanuts. I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, and have looked for more info online. Most info came back that it’s safe to have as long as I’m not allergic or have a family history of allergy to peanuts. But at the same time, there’s also no proof that it doesn’t cause babies to become allergic if consumed during pregnancy.

I have noticed that when I eat peanuts (honey roasted peanuts), I don’t feel comfortable afterwards. This was early on in the pregnancy about 12ish weeks. I only had a handful. I stopped eating them. Then, about 18ish weeks, I had a handful of these Japanese style peanuts (the ones with the crunchy hard shell), I got the same uncomfortable feeling. I didn’t break out into a rash or hives or anything like that. It just didn’t sit very well. So now, that’s when I started looking into peanuts during pregnancy.

Any insight?

Thanks!

I’m eating peanuts without worry. There are so many things I can’t have…why deny myself one more? If they don’t sit well with you - don’t eat them. They sit well with me though!

I ate peanut butter by the jar (okay, not really – but I did eat quite a bit of it) during my pregnancy. I would speak with your doctor, perhaps people who have a predilection towards allergies would be better off staying away? I tried to find any evidence of a connection between consumption of peanuts during pregnancy leading to allergies in the baby after a couple of people told me that, but came up empty so I munched away.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy is happy and healthy!

Thanks ladies. I have had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and that seem to do ok with me. I didn’t get the same uncomfy feeling when I ate the actual nuts. Yesterday, I ate a handful of almonds…it was ok. I didn’t get as uncomfortable as I did with peanuts but I didn’t eat more almonds after that. I’ll bring it up with my OB at my next appt which is in 3 weeks time…practically the end of the month.

If anyone else has any insight, please do share!