Period and PCOS after childbirth

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 and conceived my DS with femara and injectibles and my DD with IVF in 2010. I am thin and my only outward symptom was that I never got my period. (All the other symptoms were discovered with bloodwork and ultrasounds.)

Even though I am still breastfeeding, my period has been regular since June. I am wondering if anyone else with PCOS (after the birth of a child) has had their period return normally. I have a 32 day cycle every month for the past 7 months, something that I had not had since I was a teenager.

Thanks for reading!

My doc says that does happen in a number of cases, although I don’t know what the statistics are like on that. He said that some people’s bodies just get a bit of a jumpstart after pregnancy–it’s interesting that it happened after the second one! Anyway, I’m hoping I might be so lucky, but I guess we’ll see.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t been tracking ovulation or anything like that and I am just really surprised that my cycle has returned and is so regular. I have been waiting for something irregular to happen but so far so good. :slight_smile:

[quote=robynanne]I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 and conceived my DS with femara and injectibles and my DD with IVF in 2010. I am thin and my only outward symptom was that I never got my period. (All the other symptoms were discovered with bloodwork and ultrasounds.)

Even though I am still breastfeeding, my period has been regular since June. I am wondering if anyone else with PCOS (after the birth of a child) has had their period return normally. I have a 32 day cycle every month for the past 7 months, something that I had not had since I was a teenager.

Thanks for reading![/quote]

I posted response in other post but thought i would post it here.
Congrats on the little one. That is so exciting. I also have PCOS and prior to the birth of my daughter 4 years ago I rarely had a period. It never game and I would take provera so that I would at least get it for a couple of months. After having her it has been completly opposite. I am not able to say that mine is every 32 days like you (that would be awesome) I usually get my period every month but days in between vary and sometimes i will get a short period of time and other times it will last for like three weeks. It is very frustrating. I have skipped a month here and there but I guess at least I am getting it.

Tara,

Thank you for the reply. We are not trying to get pregnant yet but I am wondering if it is really a possibility that it could happen naturally. After many years of infertility treatments (and two children) I am not sure if going back to the RE and being worried about a :bfn: is something that I want to do.

I read signatures on here from time to time with women with PCOS getting pregnant naturally and I wonder if I could be one of them. What a surprise that would be!

[quote=robynanne]Tara,

Thank you for the reply. We are not trying to get pregnant yet but I am wondering if it is really a possibility that it could happen naturally. After many years of infertility treatments (and two children) I am not sure if going back to the RE and being worried about a :bfn: is something that I want to do.

I read signatures on here from time to time with women with PCOS getting pregnant naturally and I wonder if I could be one of them. What a surprise that would be![/quote]

I totally understand your feelings. I did not get on birth control after our successful pregnancy and always hoped since I was getting a period on my own it would some day happen for me naturally. It has not happened for us and would really like to add to our family so we are going back to the RE this month. I did ask my OB the last time I went to see him and was told that odds are not in my favor for a natural pregnancy but we always had hope.

My mum’s first pregnancy (ME!!) kickstarted her periods and she fell pregnant with my brother naturally 9 months after 1st birth!! Her periods were regular as clockwork since - previously very irregular. Am PRAYING this happens for me :smiley: - I have PCOS & very irregular periods.

After my first son was born, my doctor demanded that I use birth control for a year, as I had lots of medical issues immediately following his birth. She scared me enough that I agreed :slight_smile: When DS turned a year, I stopped birth control and had a normal cycle. The next cycle I was preggo with my second son. I was ecstatic! After all of the treatments for my first, I never thought that I could naturally become preggo :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, it hasn’t been such a smooth ride this time around. We can’t seem to get pregnant with another kiddo, and my doctor assures me that it is an age issue. I’m not sure how we are going to overcome this issue! Not getting any younger :frowning:

Best of luck!

Back after baby

Hi ladies! I frequented these boards while TTC and throughout my pregnancy last year. I am just getting reacquainted with the forums since not having been on since the summer birth of my little miracle. I relate with you all and was actually going to post a question similar to what is being discussed here… I NEVER would get AF without some medical assistance ie provera, prometrium etc. that along with follistim and IUI was the recipe for our little girl. I BF for 3 months and 3 months later got AF Ay natural for the first time in my life! It was really heavy and I had tons of cramps. I pos to check for ovulation for almost 2 weeks and got nothing… 30+ days later I started spotting which went on for 3 days… Then 2 weeks later started spotting again which has been going on for 3 days… Not sure what to make of this! My OBs office is clueless since I came to them already pregnant, he tried to scare me into starting bcp but I said no that I wanted to see possible ‘cycle’ thru. I called my REs office and they said to track and then pos and if I get positive opk then to call them and they’d do blood work… It’s not much of an answer since I don’t expect to get a positive ovulation… Not really ‘ready’ to start ttc again but definitely thinking about it!

Wow! So many great stories from women who have had their bodies “jump started.” I think that the next step for me is to buy a fancy ovulation kit. I know that I am getting my period regularly but I wonder if I am actually ovulating. That’s a whole different worry!