Periumbilical hernia

Hey all,

Hoping that someone may have had a periumbilical hernia. I think it occured due to my csection and pregnancy. I just found out today and I trying to find out if I need to get it fully repaired before proceeding to FET next month. Has anyone else had this medical condition?

Yes, I have this from my last pg. Mine is pretty minor - I basically have no bellybutton -flatish looking. If yours is sticking out with a buldge, you might need to get it fixed. My OB said that I shouldn’t bother having it done until I was completely done having children.

Is yours very severe?

Hey NewEnglander,

I just found out that a have a small stable fat periumbilical hernia. Honestly, if I did not have the scan to tell me I had one, I would have NO idea there is one there! I just do not want to have a problem when pregnant. Everything I have researched says to not have a mesh implanted due to the uterus expanding during pregnancy and possibly tearing. I just have my uterine biopsy this Friday with plans of a FET in September. I do not want to proceed with FET then have problems.

My belly button is normal looking as normal as I have ever know it to be. What testing if any did your doctor do for the correct diagnosis if any? Any suggestions? Do you feel any pain from it? I had absolutely no idea!

That’s right - they pull the muscle back together and stabilize it with mesh. So, when you get pg again, the mesh will tear apart as the muscles naturally pull apart again during pregnancy. This is why it shouldn’t be fixed until you are done.

It sounds like yours is very very minor. I asked my OB about why my belly button didn’t go back to normal at my 6 week pp check up. Mine is visible to anyone looking - bye bye bikini until I get it fixed!

They are very common and only a problem if a part of your intestine slips through the opening. Blood supply to the intestine might get cut off and you could end up with serious problems, but you would know if that happened. It’s really not anything to worry about. Just get it fixed later. :slight_smile:

The good news per my ob… If you have to get this fixed anyway - no harm in doing a little nip and tuck along the c-section line and a little belly button reshaping… 20 again! haha!!! kidding… sort of… :wink:

[QUOTE=NewEnglander]That’s right - they pull the muscle back together and stabilize it with mesh. So, when you get pg again, the mesh will tear apart as the muscles naturally pull apart again during pregnancy. This is why it shouldn’t be fixed until you are done.

It sounds like yours is very very minor. I asked my OB about why my belly button didn’t go back to normal at my 6 week pp check up. Mine is visible to anyone looking - bye bye bikini until I get it fixed!

They are very common and only a problem if a part of your intestine slips through the opening. Blood supply to the intestine might get cut off and you could end up with serious problems, but you would know if that happened. It’s really not anything to worry about. Just get it fixed later. :slight_smile:

The good news per my ob… If you have to get this fixed anyway - no harm in doing a little nip and tuck along the c-section line and a little belly button reshaping… 20 again! haha!!! kidding… sort of… ;)[/QUOTE]

Love your response. A little nip tuck does not hurt for sure! Although I must say being 20 again would be awesome only if it cmes with a boat load of energy too! Lol…
:flower: