PGD on Donor Eggs? Anyone else?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first cycle of donor eggs. We had to previous failures using OE, so moved on to frozen donor eggs. We had 6 frozen donor eggs thawed and all 6 were fertilized. We pushed for PGD even though my RE didn’t recommend it. Well, the PGD results are in…and only 4 embryos are normal.

That just shows even 25 year old proven donor eggs are not all perfect. What if I had transferred one of those abnormal embryo’s? I would have blamed myself for the failure?

I am so glad we pushed for PGD. I have my tranfer tomorrow morning (May 2nd) and will found out more on the quality of all the embryos. I am very curious just how good of quality those abnormal embryos really are.

Has anyone else done PGD on donor eggs? What were your results?

Just wanted to update…Just had my transfer…
I got all the details of the PGD. I started with 6 frozen eggs and all 6 fertilized. All 6 made it to day 3 when they did PGD. 4 were normal & 2 abnormal.

Out of the abnormal ones… 1 had no nucleus so it stopped dividing. Here’s the surprising news… The other abnormal one actually made it to blast, which means it looked perfect… but it had trisomy.

Out of the normal embryos… 2 stalled & stopped dividing… and the remaining 2 embryos were perfect.

I really wanted to do a single transfer, but we decided to go for it and ended up transferring the remaining 2 embryos.

I’m still very surprised at the abnormal embryo making it to blast. There is a girl on another thread who also had an abnormal one make it to blast.

I guess when the doctors suggest transferring 2, they really know what they are talking about!

Good Luck to everybody & their PGD decision

I did NOT use PGD but I wanted to comment anyway. :slight_smile:

I was given the choice of using PGD with a normal IVF cycle, or to do a donor cycle.

You see I have a balanced translocation (and an inversion). Which means two chromosome pieces switched with each other when I was created… and I pass along chromosomes to my eggs that are typically just [B]missing[/B] those pieces. PGD would be able to tell us which embryos carry a full set of chromosomes all in the right places (highly unlikely), have them switched just like me and will pass the trait, or are missing those pieces entirely. I know long story…

But you see those/my “abnormal embryos” missing chromosomes don’t stop developing until 6-7 weeks gestation. So I think there are TONS of things that PGC tests for or can test for that isn’t just for the blastocyst level. Even Down syndrome, which is also a translocation, lets a baby to develop all the way to birth usually.

Weird huh!?

I say good thing you did it. It’s just one more thing that gives you a peace of mind.

interesting… congrats on your bfp

Interesting – I have some questions for you more experienced and knowledgeable people about this. I asked the RE about this at my consultation last week, and she said that they wouldn’t recommend doing PGD on DE, citing the increased cost of ~$10K or more (per cycle??). However, from several books I’ve read recently, the two leading causes of MC with eggs of all ages are chromosomal abnormalities and inadequate uterine lining. It seems to me that if we’re trying to maximize chances of successful implantation, we’d be better off making sure that the embryo had all normal chromosomes before transfer. Of course, this doesn’t control the possibility that mutations will occur later on and still cause MC, and I guess there’s no way to know how likely that is to happen.

But another interesting thing is that I’ve been inquiring at another clinic, which actually does the PGD on-site. Their website - which could be out of date, I realize - says that the cost for PGD to determine whether all chromosomes are normal is only $4K. I wonder if the fact that the first clinic doesn’t do their own PGD is a factor in their reluctance to do it.

The RE at the first clinic also didn’t cite risks to the embryo from the PGD procedure. Can anyone provide any info about that, and how great the risk is? Can it be greater than the ~33% chance of MC that the RE said is normal without PGD?

Thanks!

Thanks - I hadn’t heard that IVF babies have higher risk of birth defects, heart problems, etc. That definitely argues against doing PGD for DE. I wasn’t just thinking of emotional pain of MC, though. I’ve never had a MC, but I have had a uterine hemorrhage caused by excessive stress, and it was very scary and dangerous. I don’t know how different MC is than the experience I already had, but I don’t wish to go through anything like that again.

So I did a little reading about the greater risk of birth defects with IVF babies, and what I found is that there’s some appallingly irresponsible reporting out there. Very few of those reports distinguish between the variations in IVF situations, but by reading several articles I gleaned that the greatest risks are with multiple births (won’t be a factor for me), using the more advance technique of injecting sperm directly into the egg instead of standard IVF where the sperm are placed in close proximity to the egg, and aging eggs (which isn’t a factor for DE).

None of the articles discussing the recent studies mentioned anything about damage to the embryo from PGD, but one did mention possible epigenetic changes caused by the culture medium, which is an area that needs further research.