PIO needles

So I got my meds in & the PIO needles they sent are 18s! They are huge. The extra ones they sent are 22s. So my question is, do I need to use the big ones? I read a tip that said we could use the bigger ones to actually get the PIO out of the vial into the syringe, then switch out the needle for a smaller one.

Anyone out the that can verify this? What sizes can I get away with?

I’m so nervous.

PIO injections are the worst, but as everyone says it is all worth it in the end.

I mixed with 18s and injected with 22s. After awhile I did them in a back seat of a car and restaurant bathrooms. It is all doable. What worked for me is icing the area and putting the needle to the skin and then gently moving it in - all almost slides my itself. When my DH did injections, he would use mire of a dart motion, which also worked. It does seem like you do not have enough room for it in your butt, but you do and it does not hurt all that bad.

I used suppositories only for my first IVF and it did not work. In fact I started bleeding and had my period before beta. So I was happy to be doing injections second time around.

Good luck! As overwhelming as it is, IVF is not that bad.

My 18’s were the filter needles I used to draw up the med into the syringe. I then switched the needle to the 22G and injected with that.

Just keep in mind the smallest you can use is 22 gauge needles. The PIO is so thick that smaller needles will not allow the passage of the progesterone. It is an oil and oils are extremely thick so do not use any gauge less than 22. I know how inviting the smaller gauge needles are to use but it will not work!

Ice the area prior to the injection and after injection use a heating pad and massage the injection site. The massage will prevent lumps under the skin. Alternate which buttock you injection everyday. Another good idea is to take a marker and circle the area you injected to prevent you from injecting that same area too soon. Good luck and you will do just fine!

Much baby dust to you!

I know the needle looks ginormous but it’s not that bad. I had DH do my injections in my butt/hip and I just laid on the couch while he did them. It wasn’t too terrible.

It’s worth it in the long run :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comfort ladies. DH won’t do it. He’s a nervous wreck with needles. Lol. But still trying to convince him to thelp. We’ll see.

So I’ve noticed that some people say ice the area before. Others say heat the area before. ??? In my thinking though, I’m mixed up. If I ice, it numbs, but then would the oil not go in too well, b/c oil works better in heat? I’m confused.

I have always done my PIO by myself, it’s not too difficult.
For my first cycle, the PIO was the most horrible thing in the world. I had bruises, knots, bleeding, you name it. It took months for the knots to go away.

For this last cycle, I figured out what I had been doing wrong. I don’t use ice or heat. You MUST be sure that you are doing them in the right spot. That was the problem with my first cycle, I was injecting too low and that’s what was causing all of my problems. If you split your behind into 4 sections, you should inject in the upper, outer segment, but ALWAYS above the top of your crack (for lack of a better word :nerd:). It will feel like you are actually injecting in your lower back, but this is the correct spot. If you go lower in the cheek, you will get the knots and bruising and terrible pain.

Hope this helps, I think most people don’t do them in the right spot but I watched a ton of videos on IM injections and asked my RE and the nurse and they verified. While they are never pleasant, I hardly had any pain throughout the entire 12 weeks that I did them this time.

I agree with musicgal,
no need to ice or apply heat…draw up the PIO with the 18 and inject with the 22, but the trick is the location…I just had my first PIO injection yesterday since October 2012 and forgot to remind my husband to go above the ‘crack’…and I’m definitely feeling it today! This injection was to force my period to start so I can start Lupron on May 21st, so thankfully my bottom will have time to recover before I have to have regular PIO shots

You’re not the first to say it’s all about location, location, location! Lol. But when I “map” myself, I cringe. It seems there’s not layers/fat to cushion that needle. I feel like the needle will meet bone. I know that’s ridiculous, but that’s my nervous mind for you. It just seems like there’s not much layer of anything for such a needle to go into. Oh well, needs to be done right?

Thanks, Musicgal…

I’m going to be doing PiO shots for the first time later this summer for IVF #3 and I’m a little freaked out… :eek: For my first two IVFs at my previous clinics I had used Endometrin suppositories. So for the PiO, you are injecting in the area you would normally administer the HCG trigger shot? And after you inject the PiO, do you recommend massaging the area or a heating pad or anything special?

Thanks!

[quote=musicgal]I have always done my PIO by myself, it’s not too difficult.
For my first cycle, the PIO was the most horrible thing in the world. I had bruises, knots, bleeding, you name it. It took months for the knots to go away.

For this last cycle, I figured out what I had been doing wrong. I don’t use ice or heat. You MUST be sure that you are doing them in the right spot. That was the problem with my first cycle, I was injecting too low and that’s what was causing all of my problems. If you split your behind into 4 sections, you should inject in the upper, outer segment, but ALWAYS above the top of your crack (for lack of a better word :nerd:). It will feel like you are actually injecting in your lower back, but this is the correct spot. If you go lower in the cheek, you will get the knots and bruising and terrible pain.

Hope this helps, I think most people don’t do them in the right spot but I watched a ton of videos on IM injections and asked my RE and the nurse and they verified. While they are never pleasant, I hardly had any pain throughout the entire 12 weeks that I did them this time.[/quote]

I used pio with ivf#2 and loved it. so much better than crinone. i stayed on it till about 15 weeks. I drew up with 18s and injected with 23s. i also tried 25s and they were awesome but my phamacy never had then. Pio isn’t bad. its really not. inject high, fast and towards the sides. no ice. it makes clumps. massaging afterwards is fine but wait a bit or it causes bleeding. heat afterwards can help too. i wrote tips somewhere on my blog. can’t remember now … but that’s pretty much it. and always use 1 1/2 inch needles. shorter ones bruise badly.

Journeyoffaith- Thank you for the tips! I’ll also check out your blog. Congrats on your pregnancy!