PIO Shots - Progesterone In Oil - Anyone Use It?

Just need to vent about these AWFUL shots! I tolerated them okay the first two weeks, but this past week I have ended up with bruises and tenderness in one hip.

I asked my nurse today if it was possible to give myself the IM shot elsewhere, and she said I could try the thigh, but I think that will hurt terribly.

I had the option of using Crinone but it was such a MESS the first time I opted to stay on the shots. Plus (if this is TMI, I’m sorry) I ended up with a terrible yeast infection right before this past cycle and didn’t want to stick anything else in there if possible, lol.

Anyone have advice on the shots and how to tolerate them up to 10 weeks?

[quote=StepMom33]Just need to vent about these AWFUL shots! I tolerated them okay the first two weeks, but this past week I have ended up with bruises and tenderness in one hip.

I asked my nurse today if it was possible to give myself the IM shot elsewhere, and she said I could try the thigh, but I think that will hurt terribly.

I had the option of using Crinone but it was such a MESS the first time I opted to stay on the shots. Plus (if this is TMI, I’m sorry) I ended up with a terrible yeast infection right before this past cycle and didn’t want to stick anything else in there if possible, lol.

Anyone have advice on the shots and how to tolerate them up to 10 weeks?[/quote]

I’m sorry. I’m currently on both the POI shots and the inserts. I only have to inject the POI once a week and 2 x’s a day inserts (my re and i made a deal because i did not want the injections every day). Because of the once a week thing I have not had any soreness or bruising. I did read on someones post they stand pigeon toed and place all the weight on one leg and inject in the opposite hip. So i’ve been doing that after i take a warm shower/bath to relax the area completely.

[QUOTE=StepMom33]Just need to vent about these AWFUL shots! I tolerated them okay the first two weeks, but this past week I have ended up with bruises and tenderness in one hip.

Anyone have advice on the shots and how to tolerate them up to 10 weeks?[/QUOTE]
[FONT=“Century Gothic”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“Purple”]
I know your pain. And believe me… if there was another other way I would use it, but to start you definitely should stay on them. I did at 6 weeks start using the Crinone gel and absolutely loved it. My buttocks were like a battle zone!

I’m dreading it again this time and already have some knots. I will switch back to the Crinone when the time is safe. My best advice is to massage the area a lot so you can break up the knots and ice before helps also.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I too elected to stay on PIO because I hated the mess of the suppositories. My RE only has you stay on progesterone in whatever form until 8 weeks, so while I mostly tolerated them ok, every time DH would hit a particularly sore spot I’d just hold my breath, count to 10, (or 20, or 30…) and remind myself that this was to support the little bean(s). Now, about 2 1/2 weeks post shots, I’m still a little sore, but overall fine.

My method, which seemed to work, was to sit on a heating pad for 15-20 minutes before the injection, then again for 10-15 minutes after. I had some knots and sore spots, but overall it was pretty pain free. Also I switched to the progesterone in the synthetic oil (ethyl oleate) for the last 2 vials. It was a little more expensive - I think $145 for the 2 vials that lasted 10 days each - but it was much much thinner and so hurt a lot less. Also you can use thinner needles with it.

Good luck - you can do it!

[quote=StepMom33]Just need to vent about these AWFUL shots! I tolerated them okay the first two weeks, but this past week I have ended up with bruises and tenderness in one hip.

Anyone have advice on the shots and how to tolerate them up to 10 weeks?[/quote]

I must say I did my gonal f shots in the thigh and it did hurt as well as burn and I was using a 28 guage needle. The PIO shots use a 22 gauge needle which is much thicker! I had my DH give me the PIO injections. I would have him feel the spot at which he was going to inject. If it didn’t hurt when he pressed on that area I would ice it for about 15minutes. I would lay on the couch with my butt facing my DH with the side that he was injection was up. For example, if he was injecting my Right buttock I would be on my left hip facing the back of my couch. I was able to stablize myself better verses standing. Once my hubby unjected the spot he would place a heating pad on the injection spot and rub the spot with the heating pad over it. This helped in that I never had welts following the injection ever. The heat helped the oil absorb into the tissue. To this day I do not have any scarring areas. I did at one point bruise but it was because my hubby hit a nerve and boy was it black and blue!!!

I did the crinone inserts and liked them. I just had to wear a pantyliner everyday to make sure that it was not going to be a mess. I would much rather have the inserts than take the PIO injections everyday.

Good Luck with everything! :flower:

oh man…i was supposed to start taking the PIO today but i never got instructions from the nurse, i am just going to wait tilll the AM and go to their offices, i was just too nervous not knowing what to do…there were some nice youtube videos out there but couldn’t get enough courage :frowning:

At my office, they drew circles on each side where the shots can be administered. Sounds silly, but it really helped us make sure we did them in the right locations. Make sure you alternate sides each day.

When the circles started to fade, I just had my husband draw new ones (all with a permanent marker - they fade in about a week).

Just so you know, I have done almost all of my shots by myself - my husband travels a lot, and I figured out that once I was able to do them, even when he’s here I’d rather do them. I’ve been doing them for 7 weeks now. At first I was very nervous, but it gets easier.

Good luck!!!