POAS Addict, test line not as dark and variant hook effect

Ok…so I am 5w5d today with pretty high betas. My ultrasound is Friday and I still POAS every day. I know, I know, dumb idea but I am a little OCD. For the past couple days my FRER test line was way darker than the control line, and then today the lines were about even. I freaked and did some googling and read about “variant hook effect”. At lunch I peed on a FRER and the lines were about even again. I then diluted my pee with water (actually probably 1 part pee to 3 parts water) and took another FRER which came up with a super dark test line and barely any control line.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know what their betas were when it happened?

[QUOTE=nicole716]Ok…so I am 5w5d today with pretty high betas. My ultrasound is Friday and I still POAS every day. I know, I know, dumb idea but I am a little OCD. For the past couple days my FRER test line was way darker than the control line, and then today the lines were about even. I freaked and did some googling and read about “variant hook effect”. At lunch I peed on a FRER and the lines were about even again. I then diluted my pee with water (actually probably 1 part pee to 3 parts water) and took another FRER which came up with a super dark test line and barely any control line.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know what their betas were when it happened?[/QUOTE]
Sorry never heard of that. BUT buy a digital HPT that way you don’t focus on the line itself.

I know, I know. I was just loving watching the lines get darker.

The lines only get so dark. At some point, it’s really pointless to test anymore. Your betas are fine, and I think you just gotta let this go…it was probably just a bum test. I used the same kind, and I noticed some variance in darkness/lightness a bit, too. It’s easy to drive yourself crazy, but you are definitely pregnant and your betas are much more definitive than a test at this point. Congrats on your pregnancy!!!