Poll - how long did you wait between cycles?

Unfortunately, I know many of us have had to repeat cycles. I am just coming off a :bfn: on my 2nd cycle after a :bfp: on my first which ended in :wings: at 3 months.

I am 38 1/2 and I have no desire to wait very long between cycles as I know time IS NOT on my side.

How long did you wait between failed cycles?

Is there any studies/evidence out there that says how long you should wait between cycles? Or that its best to not wait?

I looked a little and from what I see, its basically the dr. preference.

I think the reason this one failed was due to a terrible transfer. I have been going to this same RE for a long time and this transfer was bad, I left not even knowing if the embryos made it in my uterus. He has been an RE for close to 20 years and said it was the first time it had ever happened to him. He has never had problems with my uterus or cervix…

Here is how it went down, they got the cath in, called the lab to bring them in, they come in, he puts the cath in and can’t get it into my uterus, says there was a blockage and had them take it out, he redid the catheter and then called the lab back and my embryos were no longer in the small catheter, then has them take the other one back and they are not there either. He thinks they may have ended up in my uterus but not sure…

What would you be asking for? That cycle was pretty much covered by insurance, but it was likely my last as I don’t know how much has been billed to them yet. It was the last one that covered my meds, I am now going to have to cycle pretty much out of pocket.

I am supposed to go for my beta on Monday, but I am requesting a WTF appt instead as I have had spotting since wed - 6 days past transfer, and starting today I have a full :af: with lots of clots etc, there is no way I am prego. I have taken several tests and all come back stark negative.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts!
Jenn

I’ve only done iui so I’m not sure how long to wait for ivf. Between last iui cycle I tested on a Monday, got Af on Wednesday and was back for 2 d check that thurs.

I just wanted to comment b/c I read your post. I agree, I would definitely meet with re and ask questions, (especially since he admitted an error). Human error and mishaps can happen, but he should compensate for this in some way on your next cycle. If you don’t get a satisfactory response, I would get a second opinion and seek out a new RE. I wish you the best of luck and am sorry that this added stress was incorporated into your cycle.

Wow! I can’t believe that happened to you. I would be furious!!! I really hope that your RE apologizes and offers you some compensation.

I did an Antagonist cycle in January, got AF on 9th February, started Lupron for a Long Lupron cycle on 25th Feb got AF again on 9th March and started stims that day. If I’d have done Antagonist again they would have made me wait till after the March AF to start stims too.

Good luck with you next cycle.

I would just do back-to-back cycles unless there was a compelling reason not to. I hope that your next cycle is the ONE! At our age, sometimes you just need the repeated cycles to fall on the right side of the odds.

I hope your RE does the right thing and offers you something satisfactory given the botched transfer. That’s a hard one b/c it may not have been his fault. But, it seems likely that he’ll offer you something for the next cycle.

:babydust:

Thanks for your perspectives. I am hoping my dr will agree to do a back to back cycle. If not, I think I’ll flip out a little. I am debating driving over there tomorrow for my beta, I don’t want to since its busy and an hr away. I guess we will see. I sent my coordinator an email, wonder what her response will be.

My RE always suggested waiting one cycle. Not starting on the period immediatly following the IVF but on the next. To me this always seemed reasonable. Doesn’t feel too long to wait a month.

So sorry to hear about how your transfer went. While I was reading your post I was thinking that you should get a refund, but then I read that it was covered through insurance. I think I would suggest a free cycle, to make up for “wasting” your last!! If they won’t do that maybe you will atleast end up with a discounted price. Good luck to you!

[quote=brit1612]My RE always suggested waiting one cycle. Not starting on the period immediatly following the IVF but on the next. To me this always seemed reasonable. Doesn’t feel too long to wait a month.

So sorry to hear about how your transfer went. While I was reading your post I was thinking that you should get a refund, but then I read that it was covered through insurance. I think I would suggest a free cycle, to make up for “wasting” your last!! If they won’t do that maybe you will atleast end up with a discounted price. Good luck to you![/quote]

when you say wait one cycle, were your transfers 2 or 3 months apart? I am expecting to wait to have one more period, but I expect transfers to be about 2 months apart, not 3. I think if I start bcp in a few weeks and then lupron a few weeks after that…

I just don’t want to have to wait for a month to start bcp and then another month of bcp before I start stims again. That is crazy to me!