Poor egg quality and no fertilization with ISCI

My husband and I have questions and need advice about egg quality and fertilization. We just finished our second round of IVF and we didn’t make it to the second part of the magic. I have a low egg count and they are fertilizing abnormally. My husbands sperm count is fine. The first time we tried my egg weren’t mature enough and my estrogen level dropped. The second time I was on a new protocol and the eggs were mature, estrogen level good and we use ISCI, but it failed again. The doctor said because I had an UAE that my eggs were affected and there is nothing the they could do and I need to look at other options. The other options are not feasible and we would like to try IVF again. We need to find another RE because they will not do another IVF cycle on me because of the UAE. They have never had success getting anyone pregnant after an UAE even through there has been studies of other women who have given birth after an UAE. I think I have other problems. The doctors didn’t find any hormone problems, but I’m 33 and still have acne and I had an abnormally large fibroid in my mid 20’s. Below are my questions.

How do eggs fertilize abnormally?
Could a hormone imbalance produce poor egg quality?
Has anyone had an UAE and given birth?
Is there any meds that can help egg quality?

[quote=jt456]My husband and I have questions and need advice about egg quality and fertilization. We just finished our second round of IVF and we didn’t make it to the second part of the magic. I have a low egg count and they are fertilizing abnormally. My husbands sperm count is fine. The first time we tried my egg weren’t mature enough and my estrogen level dropped. The second time I was on a new protocol and the eggs were mature, estrogen level good and we use ISCI, but it failed again. The doctor said because I had an UAE that my eggs were affected and there is nothing the they could do and I need to look at other options. The other options are not feasible and we would like to try IVF again. We need to find another RE because they will not do another IVF cycle on me because of the UAE. They have never had success getting anyone pregnant after an UAE even through there has been studies of other women who have given birth after an UAE. I think I have other problems. The doctors didn’t find any hormone problems, but I’m 33 and still have acne and I had an abnormally large fibroid in my mid 20’s. Below are my questions.

How do eggs fertilize abnormally?
Could a hormone imbalance produce poor egg quality?
Has anyone had an UAE and given birth?
Is there any meds that can help egg quality?[/quote]

If the eggs are of poor quality and performance (like mine), the even ICSI will not produce fertilization and further cell cleavage. Noone knows why it happens this way. Tons of ladies on these boards believe that various diets and supplements can improve egg quality. I tried Royal Jelly for our second cycle (really pumped up on these boards)…and my response was far worse. (I am NOT blaming the Royal Jelly…just saying that it was a waste of my money! My husband’s SA got better on it though, FWIW.) Others believe in red raspberry leaf tea, wheatgrass, and a host of other supplements. As a physician myself, I find it hard to believe that drinking grass extract will “fix” my egg problem. Frankly, I think women who got pregnant with these things are just very fortunate…not to any credit of a bunch of unstudied herbs!

Yes, hormone issues can cause egg quality issues. But…most of this is an unknown science at this point. My labs are fine (FSH 8.7, AMH 2.5), yet my eggs are crud. This last round, my estradiol levels dropped during increasing stims…proving to me that my eggs were done.

As for the UAE, I have no experience. Best wishes! As you can tell by my signature, I’m moving towards another option. For me, another IVF was simply a waste of money and time…not to mention another heartbreak.