Poor egg quality?

My RE thinks we could “possibly” also be dealing with poor egg quality. For anyone out there who has this diagnosis, what are “signs” of poor egg quality? would having poor egg quality result in “perfect” embryos? and are there any tests to confirm this? I am a bit confused on what exactly “poor egg quality” means.

I was told I had poor egg quality at 29. My eggs were described as having dark centers. I honestly think it was an excuse used by my RE why my IVF failed. For my third IVF I went to CCRM and no comments were made by the lab about having possible poor egg quality. In fact I ended up with perfect blastocysts.

Have you ever had your embryos tested via CCS or some other method? That would help to clarify the issue. Did the RE think it could be implantation issues due to your endo?

Yes I do have implantation issues. I have been on immunological treatment and the only 2 times I have gotten a bfp I have had a m/c and a chemical. He just recently said I could have poor egg quality. I have always had great looking embryos and every fresh cycle (except the last one where my protocol was different) yielded a lot of eggs that had a great fertilization rate. My last FET I had 5 day 3 embryos that they grew to day 5 and all of them made it to blast with grade A rating. I’m just confused as to what is classified as poor egg quality.

Hi my RE thinks it is related to endo, poor quality embryos. Have you had a laparascopy done. My RE thinks quality can improve afterwards however it does decrease egg count.

The little embryos I do get have been all A grade however bad quality never get further then early blast

If you have implantation issue, why does it have to be related to the eggs? Maybe the reason is sperm or lining. Have you been on neupogen? Perhaps you should be taking mitochondria energizer that gives boost for cells to reproduce plus it supplies cells with energy. Ask him about this.

Hi Ladies. There are many tests that can help clarify if you have poor egg quality, if the sperm have poor quality and if there are abnormalities within the embryos. I know this because my husband and I had every single test done last year and it was an emotionally exhausting process. However, we needed to know the answers/results in order to stop wasting our time, money and energy.

I agree that the lab plays a huge role in everything that happens within an IVF cycle and strongly suggest looking at the SART website, your age and how many live births resulted out of IVF. Ultimately, you can have a great report from the embryologist but you really want top quality so that embryo grows into a healthy, happy fetus, resulting in the live birth of the baby. (I know you all know all of this but in the heat of the various stages of the process, it’s really easy to forget).

GOOD LUCK!

In my case, the eggs from my retrieval were morphologically abnormal…granular, dark, and irregularly shaped. My fertilization rate despite ICSI was terrible…like 9 of 17 mature and I only had 2 “B” Grade embryos at day 3. While my CD3 estradiol was 45 6 months before, it was 88 several months after my cycle…which is an indicator that the eggs may not be in good shape.

On my second round, I was maxed on stims and only made 5 follicles. We converted to IUI and it obviously failed as well.

I feel about 80% confident that I wasn’t going to get pregnant with my own eggs, though feel that CCRM would have been my best chance if I had been able to cycle there. For me, it was all about odds of success, costs per cycle, and my career…so I used donor eggs and got pregnant with donor egg/donor sperm embryos (husband had huge issues too).

Your fertilization and blast rates seem really good for “bad eggs.” While it’s a huge investment, CCRM is probably worth considering as they are pretty much the best!

Best wishes!!!

[QUOTE=Ally6181]Yes I do have implantation issues. I have been on immunological treatment and the only 2 times I have gotten a bfp I have had a m/c and a chemical. He just recently said I could have poor egg quality. I have always had great looking embryos and every fresh cycle (except the last one where my protocol was different) yielded a lot of eggs that had a great fertilization rate. My last FET I had 5 day 3 embryos that they grew to day 5 and all of them made it to blast with grade A rating. I’m just confused as to what is classified as poor egg quality.[/QUOTE]

Were your embryos genetically tested on day 5?