Poor SA results

DH’s SA results were not good.

Count: 2 million per mL
Motility: 27%
Total Count: 10.4 million
Forward progression: 2
Morphology: 4%

What are our chances of conceiving naturally?

DH has an appointment with a urologist on Jan 10. But that seems so far away!

Also, DH had a really bad infection and was in the hospital for 5 days at the end of Aug. They gave him at least 3 different IV antibiotics and he had a slight fever. Could this account for his poor results?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Guess no one is going to reply to this. :grr:

If I could tell you…

If I (or anyone else) could give you a percentage, I would be a rich woman.

From what I have read, your chances are quite low with so few sperm and a motility score of 2. My husband had very similar results & we tried unsuccessfully for about a year (we started ttc 10/2010).

Although, that fever could have ‘killed one batch’ of sperm. If only the fever is to blame he may produce a healthy/normal sample in a few months.

How long after the fever did he ‘donate’?

My DH has 7 Mill and bad morph and bad motility… seems like these are the questions that were asked the most by urologists, primary care physicians, RE’s, etc to the men…

1. Were you sick? (Your DH was!!!)
  2. Did you have trauma to that area?
  3. What kind of underwear do you wear? (That one is usually #1)
  4. Are you on any supplements?
  5. Do you put your laptop on your lap EVER?
  6. Do you ever put your cell phone on your lap or between your legs …even when you are just driving?
  7. Do you ever have your cell phone in your pocket of you pants (Cleveland Clinic did a study looking at this)
  8. Do you take really hot showers, baths or ever go into a hot tub? This is BAD!
  9. Were you ever checked out for a vericole which from what I understand is a varicose vein in the testicle area … I heard that it will heat up the testicles with the extra blood flow and cook the sperm. I could be wrong but it makes sense.

New sperm grow every 3 months so if you make changes now and get retested in 3 months you may see a difference. My guess is that the urologist will look for the vericole during an exam, order blood work to make sure his testosterone is normal and other hormones are normal, talk to him about the above stuff plus stuff I maybe don’t even know about LOL and order another SA in 3 months. Keep in mind that there is a surgical procedure to fix the varicose vein in the testicle area but the clinical studies that I have read have shown no increase in fertility after the surgery.

And just remember… It only takes 1 sperm! You may need to do IVF with ICSI like me one day where a scientist will search the sperm, find a winner and inject it into the egg. That way he knows it is healthy and not misshapen etc.

Getting preggers naturally… I know with IUI and washed sperm they need a few million… The number I think was over 2. So, wow… so not what you want to hear but the chances with 2 million are super low. We had 10 million at one point and my RE wanted to go straight to IVF because the chances were so low. And remember… morphology and motility need to be good. If the sperm cant swim or it is missing a tail or a head, or is shaped weird even if it does get to the egg it won’t work. Hope this helps! Write back if you need anything :slight_smile:

One last thing… My acupuncturist put my husband on something called “Vital Essence” which is a chinese herb that is supposed to help sperm production. Also, make sure he is on a GOOD vitamin and I would search the web… I have heard of Vitamin E and some other crazy things possibly help with sperm count.

Thank you all for replying!! I know are chances are pretty much 0 of conceiving on our own unless DH’s numbers improve.

He was in the hospital at the end of Aug beginning of Sept. He had the SA on Nov 14. So it wasn’t quite 3 months later. That’s why I’m not sure if the sickness could still be to blame for the poor results.

We have to wait till Jan 10 to see the urologist. So they might just have him do another SA right away.

I am in the same boat as you…DH has about 3 million. We went to the RE and they said they will try IUI for 3 times. Actually when we went in for the consult with RE he did an exam and told us that night would have been a great night to try on our own…so we did and for every other day after…and we didn’t have any luck. I thought for sure it would have happend. So now I am on CD4 just went in yesterday and had my ultrasound and blood work and started taking femara. But I also found out that our insurance doesn’t pay for IUI procedure and we would have to pay $672. So now I don’t know if we should just take the meds and try again on our own or go ahead and spend the $672 and try…of course with the holidays that puts us in a huge bind! I know how you feel… I am 24 and he is 34. We have been TTC since 9/09 and we have not even had a miscarriage or anything! I really just don’t understand why things are this way! I too am worried that the sperm count is too low for IUI that I would be wasting money.

I sure though when he had his SA done in Oct everything would have been fine, but boy was I wrong!

[QUOTE=dnm521]I am in the same boat as you…DH has about 3 million. We went to the RE and they said they will try IUI for 3 times. Actually when we went in for the consult with RE he did an exam and told us that night would have been a great night to try on our own…so we did and for every other day after…and we didn’t have any luck. I thought for sure it would have happend. So now I am on CD4 just went in yesterday and had my ultrasound and blood work and started taking femara. But I also found out that our insurance doesn’t pay for IUI procedure and we would have to pay $672. So now I don’t know if we should just take the meds and try again on our own or go ahead and spend the $672 and try…of course with the holidays that puts us in a huge bind! I know how you feel… I am 24 and he is 34. We have been TTC since 9/09 and we have not even had a miscarriage or anything! I really just don’t understand why things are this way! I too am worried that the sperm count is too low for IUI that I would be wasting money.

I sure though when he had his SA done in Oct everything would have been fine, but boy was I wrong![/QUOTE]

I didn’t think anything would be wrong with DH either. I’m still hoping that the next one shows improvement since he was really sick less than 3 months before the SA. Sounds like we have similar situations. If it was me, I would wait till after the holidays for the IUI just because of the money and all the stress around the holidays. We still have to wait till Jan 10 for DH to go to the urologist. It feels like forever! But I’m still hoping that he won’t have to go. :pray: I really hope we both get our sticky beans soon!!

My DH did a analysis was 2.1million, 27% mobile and only 1% was normal. The urologist recommended taking proxceed. I don’t know if that helps or not but it’s worth looking into.

Innovative idea…

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I’m on the same boat. My DHSA count was 2.5 million, Motility 30% and abnormal Morphology 5%. My RE told us that IUI with a count less of 5 million is unlikely to produce a pregnancy. My DH will start treatment with Clomid and his urologist think that the Clomid will be able to boost his count to at least 5 million, but since it takes almost 3 months to produce sperm, we will not see an improvement immediately. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I’m not a very patient person and I want to try IUI immediately. I’m seeing my RE on 02/06 and I will discuss that possibility with him.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Now I have a question for you guys… My RE recommendation is to have at least 5 million sperm to try IUI. Couldn’t DH donate several samples and have the samples froze while in wait for the IUI and combine the samples when the IUI is done? I got that stuck on my head and I still can’t find a reason why that would not be a possibility. My idea is that if each sample has 2.5 million and they combine 3 to 4 samples, they should have between 7.5 – 10 million sperms for the IUI. Have anybody ever tried that? Is that even possible?[/SIZE][/FONT]

My husbands sperm count was 2 million per ml total of 11 million, 30% motility and I have pcos and conceived while on chlomid, had a healthy child 18 months ago. Now we want another and cannot get pregnant his total count is less than 1 million so we have to resort to ivf for another child. The drs did say it was a miracle we conceived with such low counts, but you never know!