Positive result on home pregnancy test but HCG was 2?

Hello ladies,

We have been trying to conceive our first baby for almost 2.5 years.

We had our second iui with letrozole (D3-7) +HCG trigger shot (D12) +progesterone suppositories last month. The trigger shot was 10,000 IU.
On D 26 (14 days after HCG), I did HPT and there was very faint line, then I thought this was due to the trigger shot.
On D 28 (16 days after HCG), I did HPT and there was darker line than on D 26. The line was still faint, but it was obvious. However, my blood HCG test came out “negative” at the same day.
My HCG was only 2. They told me that the trigger shot should go away from my system after 10 days.

When I had my first iui with same meds above, there was almost no line on D 28. So, I am trying to learn something from this.

Does anyone have similar experience? Or does anyone think that egg and sperm at least were fertilized? Or it was just left over from the shot?

Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Izzie,

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. IF is hard enough without having to worry about confusing, conflicting information. I really don’t think your positive HPT was still the trigger. It sounds more like you may have had a chemical pregnancy - basically a very early miscarriage. My understanding is that it happens more that people know but is often missed because it happens before the woman is even aware that she is pregnant. Because we IF ladies are testing so early and so frequently, we will get a positive HPT only to find out that the beta is negative. I don’t think anyone really knows what causes a chemical. I’ve read that it is most likely because of chromosome abnormalities but since it’s impossible to do testing, who knows.

I wish you best of luck in the future.

My husband and I just did a chromosome blood test. It takes a month for results (in Canada) but they do test this after 2x chemical pregnancies. Maybe ask your RE.

Thank you so much for your kind reply, FingersCrossed 77 and Kika! I was so tired of all these things. But, if that means at least something, I thought I can move forward.
Dr. recommends me do another iui with Letorozel 2 pills, Gnal-F 150 units (D6-7), and Menopur 150 units (D8-12), and HCG/Cetrotide shot (D12). Did you have any side effects of Gonal-F if you could share me? Thank you.

I’m currently on CD13 and on my 10th day of gonal-f. I also used gonal f or 2 cycles in 2011. I can’t say that I had any side effects. I haven’t had the upset stomach that some women report and no irritation at the injection site. I’ve felt pretty normal, thank goodness. I have to say that I was a bit freaked out at the idea of giving myself the nightly injections but once you get over the intial fear it’s really not a big deal. It’s just a small pinch and then you’re done. I won’t let DH do it though - I have to do it myself. I think you’ll be fine.