Positive urine but negative blood test

Yes, probably many of you have already read many posts like this one, but please understand… We are very anxious.
We have had a IVF done two and a half weeks ago. My wife has been doing home urine tests almost everyday (we got a big pack on the internet cheaply). They started out negative, and started to turn positive a week after transfer or so, and have all turned out positive ever since. On day 15 after embryo transfer a blood test was carried out, and the results were negative, apparently below 1.2UI/ml hcg or somthing like that. My wife cried terribly, she couldn’t accept it. The doctors were absolutely certain that she wasn’t pregnant. We told them about the home urine tests giving positive results even after the blood test and they seem surprised. We even bought a different brand urine test at the pharmacy and on day 18 after transfer the result was clearly positive. The doctors have programmed another blood test for next week. How is this possible? I thought that urine test could fail, but not blood tests? We are anxious, very anxious. Thanks for reading.

Wow that is really crazy! I would have scooped all of those positive HPTs up and put them in a bag and dropped them on my RE’s desk and said “explain”. Good luck…I am anxious to hear the end result

Maybe there was a mistake with the lab.

I hope the lab got it wrong, but we aren’t having a good time. It’s our second IVF attempt, the first one failed. We were so happy with our home preg tests, we were put down with the blood test.
I just can’t understand how the lab test is negative while the home tests still turn positive results. We just did another one an hour ago, and positive within a few seconds, no waiting at all. Weird. I am really starting to believe the lab got it wrong, and I have to try and keep my wife optimistic until monday or tuesday.
If by any chance it was the lab that mixed the samples, who got our sample? The lab we went to is a huge lab that does thousands of all sorts of tests. What was the person getting our sample being tested for? A deadly type of cancer that probably turned inexplainably negative? Who knows? Maybe the testing machine simply didn’t work. Let’s hope it’s a lab error and that’s it.
Thanks for answering by the way. Have a nice weekend.

I’m a supervisor in Pathology, but I work in a lab. I doubt they mixed your sample with another person. Very unlikely…samples are bar coded. What most likely happened is that the analyzer ran out of reagent to do the test. Something like this happened to me once, and I work there! My TSH (for thyroid) came out low, at 0.1, and it didn’t make sense when examined with my other labs. The pathologist and I spent the day trying to figure out if I had Grave’s Disease. The next day I had a friend repeat it, “under the table” so to speak. It came out at 53!! Extreme hypothyroid, and actually a critical value. The Chem Supervisor told me the analyzer ran out of some reagent and that’s why it came back .01 the first time. For now, go with your + home tests. It cannot give a + after a negative beta without HCG, and certainly not a quick, clear reaction. Totally sounds like an error with the lab equipment.

Well at last we know. For those who are interested, we have been told the lab had made some sort of mistake. Somebody we know who’s sister works at the lab said it was a bar code related problem. I do not know how bad that type of mistake is. The good thing is that my wife is pregnant. :preg: And the hcg value from the first test was 2590IU/mL, and I’m not sure, but that seems quite high according to the tables hanging around on the web. Should we be worried? I do not know if you start counting days when they get the eggs, of when they put the embryos in, or when the last period began, …, dunnow…
Tomorrow we’ll be visiting the doctor again, hopefully we’ll be given the results of the second blood test. Let’s hope everything’s ok!:pray:

[quote=llenode]Well at last we know. For those who are interested, we have been told the lab had made some sort of mistake. Somebody we know who’s sister works at the lab said it was a bar code related problem. I do not know how bad that type of mistake is. The good thing is that my wife is pregnant. :preg: And the hcg value from the first test was 2590IU/mL, and I’m not sure, but that seems quite high according to the tables hanging around on the web. Should we be worried? I do not know if you start counting days when they get the eggs, of when they put the embryos in, or when the last period began, …, dunnow…
Tomorrow we’ll be visiting the doctor again, hopefully we’ll be given the results of the second blood test. Let’s hope everything’s ok!:pray:[/quote]

Congratulations!!! I am so happy to hear your news! What a great Christmas gift!

Congratulations! Happy to read your update!!:bsv:

That is wonderful news!!! High HCG is a good thing. So sorry you & your wife had go through this terrible ordeal!

Thank you very much. And good luck to everybody else that has to go through something like this.
We have to visit the doctor later on today. Cheers!:cross:

That is absolute Frightning:eek: . Good for you to stand by your wife and push through!!! I wonder how many times this has happened without people knowing. I wish nothing but the best for you three in2012!!! what a story to tell.:babydust: CONGRATULATIONS!!!