Potential Ectopic Pregnancy

I am a new member to this forum and am reaching out to folks to see if they have had a similar experience to mine and what happened to them. I am 38, and my husband and I have been TTC for 2 1/2 years. We have done three IUIs in the past 5 months, and after our last IUI at the end of March/beginning of April, we managed to get pregnant on our own. My last cycle started on April 5. I had a positive pregnancy test on May 2 and then left for a trip outside the United States. On May 9, I noticed some slight spotting and then in the middle of the night, woke up to extreme cramping and a large amount of blood. As I was 6 hours ahead of East Coast time, I was unable to reach my Doctor right away and also unable to travel home. When I finally did reach them, they stated that it sounded like I had a miscarriage and that I should come in for blood work when I got back. When I did return home on May 15, I went in to my doctor’s office for blood work. The beta levels were at 420 so they put me on progesterone. Two days later, I had an U/S and more blood work. The U/S did not show anything in either my uterus or near my tubes but again, my HCG levels were rising, but not at a "normal rate: (600 to 800, etc). After additional blood tests and two additional ultrasounds, including one reviewed by a radiologist, I am being told that I am still pregnant but that it is not a normal pregnancy and that they cannot find where it is in my body. The doctor has recommended that I take methatrexate. I trust my doctor and everyone in the office has been really great with me, but I am concerned about the 3 month waiting period to begin trying again. I am also concerned about the possibility of taking this medication at such an early stage if there is any possible chance that I might be pregnant with a viable pregnancy. If anyone has had a similar situation happen to them, any guidance and thoughts that they have are appreciated. Thank you.

I experienced a tubal pg in Dec /Jan. Hcg levels were rising no pg in the uterus. My Obgyn gave me a mtx shot my levels continued to rise. Long story short I went back to my RE he gave me two additional mtx shots within a fees day apart. My level dropped nicely I spotted for 1.5 weeks then when the levels reached zero I got a period. 30 days after that I got another pd. We were able to ttc after that but we opted to try Ivf instead of continued iui treatment.

My advice would be to get the shots let your body reccoperate then try again. Best wish.

I was treated for an “ectopic” pregnancy after an abnormal beta rise ( see sig). Although they couldn’t locate the pregnancy on ultrasound I question whether it was truly ectopic (my new RE agrees). I don’t think it was viable though and at my doctor’s insistence I had the methotrexate shot - worst day yet of this infertility nightmare. My beta levels dropped over 3 weeks and I passed a sac when I had a very heavy, crampy period.

Sorry you are going through this. Take care.

So sorry, my heart goes out to you :frowning:

I’ve had 2 ectopics. The first was treated with emergency surgery and methotrexate, the second with only methotrexate. Unfortunately your pregnancy does not sound viable even if for some reason they missed finding it in your uterus. I would take the methotrexate. An untreated ectopic can cause you to lose a tube, and methotrexate is the best option. The reason to wait 3 months before TTC is because methotrexate strips the folic acid from your body, and it needs to build back up for a healthy pregnancy.

(((HUGS))) I wish you didn’t have to experience a loss like this and I hope you get a take home baby very soon.

[QUOTE=zazu13]I was treated for an “ectopic” pregnancy after an abnormal beta rise ( see sig). Although they couldn’t locate the pregnancy on ultrasound I question whether it was truly ectopic (my new RE agrees). I don’t think it was viable though and at my doctor’s insistence I had the methotrexate shot - worst day yet of this infertility nightmare. My beta levels dropped over 3 weeks and I passed a sac when I had a very heavy, crampy period.

Sorry you are going through this. Take care.[/QUOTE]

Wow Zazu :frowning: Looking at your sig, I don’t think was an ectopic either. I’m sorry for your loss.

I just want to say that I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am currently recovering from an ectopic pregnancy. I was like you where my hcg was rising but not at the appropriate rate. It actually never got above 300. it would go downa little then up a little. Basically, I am going to encourage you to do whatever you “feel” is right for you. I asked for the methotrexate at 6 weeks but my OB wouldnt give it to me because they thought I would miscarry on my own. VERY long story short - at 8 weeks I still had not miscarried so they decided to do a d&c but when they did they found nothing so they did an exploratory laporascopic surgery which ended up being an open surgery(just like a c-section cut) and found a huge ectopic pregnancy and I lost my right tube. Please be careful and listen to your body. my prayers are with you!

Thank you

Hello Ladies,

Thank you all for your advice and best wishes. I ended up taking the shot last week, which was honestly a pretty difficult day emotionally :-(. Since then I have been really exhausted and depressed, but my husband has been really supportive and we are trying to get through this. I am going to stay hopeful that we will be able to try again after three months, most likely going the IVF route. I am thinking of all of you and sending positive thoughts that we all have little blessings coming our way soon!