(pre) IVF lifestyle and diet plan

Hi to all!
First of all, I want to wish tons of :babydust: and luck to everybody (if you’re in this thread, I assume, you’re in need of :cross:)

Not sure if there was already a discussion on this topic, in any case I couldn’t find any. I was thinking it’d be useful to come up with a thread where we can [B]list all the “alternative” or non-medical things we do for upcoming IVFs.[/B]

For e.g. did you change your diet and if so, how? Are you minimizing sugars and carbs or exclude them completely? Did you exclude dairy product? Do you eat high-protein diet? Do you avoid coffee and caffeinated tea completely? Do you avoid alcohol?

Are you trying to relax more, go for long walks or vice versa, stay home and lay down more. Do you exercise?

I’m currently trying to come up with the life plan for the next month or so and looking for advice. There are so much info and I’m sorta confused - practically, it seems like I should not consume anything at all except for 100% organic grass-fed protein and organic veggies. Unreal for me, though :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting this question I too wonder the same thing. So am cutting out soda,coffee and for the next month do a low carb diet. Hopefully it works for something also this is funny and am not sure if it works but my dad said to try this he’s not aware that my DH & I are going thru ivf but he said back in the day (really back in the day) the men and women who were trying to conceive would drink warm milk with honey but natural honey from a bee am not sure if it even works or anything but I tought it was sweet my dad trying to give us advice he wants a grand baby so bad.

Good luck :babydust:

Well before my cycles - I always tried to eat healthy generally. I stil did drink my cup of tea - even during stims this last time. The first time I did cut that out too but after doing a couple of rounds of IVF you dont want to cut out things you actually enjoy. A cup of tea is not going to harm you.
I did drink wine when I was not cycling. But stopped as soon as I was stimmnig and closer to simming.
I did switch to whole milk - which I read somewhere that it was better than the low fat stuff. I always drank organic milk so didnt change much of that.
I started buyin a little organic here and there but not everything!
I did work out before stimming - yoga and zumba - but not during.

Hope that helps!

DH and I cut out all caffeine a couple months ago and alcohol.

We also are cutting out things like MSG and processed foods in excess. It’s hard to cut out everything but I don’t go buy a bag of Cheetos anymore - I just eat some other crackers or popcorn if I have the munchies.

I am trying to eat lower carb and lower sugar. If I eat something sweet it’s usually in moderation though while :af: is here I tend to cave and eat some chocolate or ice cream. I can’t seem to help myself then :wink:

I avoided processed foods as much as possible. Lots of fish, nuts, whole grains, veggies and fruit. Avoided caffeine, alcohol and excessive amounts of sugar. I also ate at least one egg per day to make sure I was getting enough protein.

I stayed away from what I call fake food. Things that are marketed as “healthy” but are so far removed from what food actually is.

This is my first cycle, and at my REs recommendation I am following a low carb, high protein diet. Apparently he’s done some research in this area and has found some correlation between successful cycles and diet.

I’ve also cut out caffeine almost completely . But I still have a cup of decaf about once a week. But once I start swimming I plan to give it up completely. I’m also trying to avoid processed foods and eat as much fresh fruit and nuts as possible.

Oh and in addition to diet my RE recommends prenatal vitamins along with 2000 IUs of vitamin D daily.

I have been following a gluten free diet for the past 3 months. I did end up getting pregnant but miscarried :frowning:

But I am trying a fresh cycle in June and I am planning to continue gluten free.

I would highly recommend a book “making babies”. It provides specific diet, supplement and lifestyle changes for different fertility types. For example, the recommendation is different for smb with PCOS than for smb with endometriosis. It discusses how to adjust workout schedule based on where you are in your cycle. My acupuctutist recommended trying to avoid gluten to see if I had a sensitivity.

Wishing you lots of luck! Get as informed as you can and ask a lot of questions!!! Don’t assume doctors thought of everything - be your own advocate.

[QUOTE=delusion]Hi to all!
First of all, I want to wish tons of :babydust: and luck to everybody (if you’re in this thread, I assume, you’re in need of :cross:)

Not sure if there was already a discussion on this topic, in any case I couldn’t find any. I was thinking it’d be useful to come up with a thread where we can [B]list all the “alternative” or non-medical things we do for upcoming IVFs.[/B]

For e.g. did you change your diet and if so, how? Are you minimizing sugars and carbs or exclude them completely? Did you exclude dairy product? Do you eat high-protein diet? Do you avoid coffee and caffeinated tea completely? Do you avoid alcohol?

Are you trying to relax more, go for long walks or vice versa, stay home and lay down more. Do you exercise?

I’m currently trying to come up with the life plan for the next month or so and looking for advice. There are so much info and I’m sorta confused - practically, it seems like I should not consume anything at all except for 100% organic grass-fed protein and organic veggies. Unreal for me, though :-)[/QUOTE]

I tend to drum on one specific piece of advice in these forums because it is a piece of advice that doctors frequently skirt around for fear of insulting their patients (and driving them to other practices). And that advice is to lose the weight if you don’t have something approaching a healthy body mass index. I really wish our RE would have told us this before our first cycle. Yeah, I know, you ladies are all sensitive about those kinds of things, but if you are under the age of 40, a healthy body-mass index can improve your chances by double digits. Choosing a specific type of diet and exercising are both instruments to this end. But keep in mind, when it comes to improving your IVF chances by improving your overall health and weight, its something best to start at least 6 months before your cycle, in my opinion.

Ladies,

What about husband’s weight? Is that a factor? My DH is also trying to lose some weight - he is healthy but bmi is a bit high

[QUOTE=hope_adbhut]Ladies,

What about husband’s weight? Is that a factor? My DH is also trying to lose some weight - he is healthy but bmi is a bit high[/QUOTE]

It is. Being overweight and inactive influences sperm motility and quality overall, but not so much DNA condensation. I had been thin all of my life until the past 4 years or so. When I inched into the overweight category, my sperm count dipped a bit. After dropping those 20 pounds, quality improved.

Weight issues with women tends to influence the IVF outcome a lot more then male issues, but its still important for both. Not to mention a healthy husband is in a better state of mind to support his wife :slight_smile: