Pregger? I believe the Flu/H1N1 vaccination caused me to miscarry

Hi ladies,

I just want to post this for all pregnant women who might be considering getting the flu vaccination. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING THAT DECISION! I wish I had. Here is my story…I recently underwent IVF and transferred two perfect blasts. At 14dpo my beta was 365. At 18dpo beta was 1577. Dr. said levels were awesome and were hinting towards multiple pregnancy. I was later advised by my nurse to get the flu shot. I was hesitant and told her that I had gotten the vaccination in 2009 and it made me sick for over a week so I really didn’t want it. She told me that it is advisable for pregnant women to get the vaccine. WHY DID I LISTEN??? Thursday, November 10th I received the Flu/H1N1 shot (I told the pharmacist that I was pregnant). I started cramping, spotting and had lower back pain that same night. I immediately called the clinician on call. I was put on pelvic rest for the remainder of the night. Friday, I did not have any apparent bleeding. I went to visit my acupuncturist for treatment. Two days later, Sunday night, I started bleeding a lot and cramping again. The following day I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 4 days pregnant. There were two sacs but only one of the sacs contained a fetus and one heartbeat beating strong at 107 bpm. The baby was measuring on schedule at 5 weeks 5 days. Still my doctor was concerned about the bleeding and m/c of the first baby so he put me on bed rest for the next couple of days. I had a complete miscarriage that same night. I am so heartbroken. If only I would have followed my gut and not gotten the vaccination. Never again!

I’m so sorry for your loss! When I was preggers, my doc told me not to get a flu shot until the 2nd trimester, but that it was important for pregnant women to get them. I was so paranoid about ANYTHING hurting the pregnancy that I did my own research on how “necessary” it was. (When i say “paranoid”, i mean clinically, un healthily, psycho-paranoid). Pregnant women are more susceptible to any illness getting really bad much quicker than normal. If you keep on top of things, and pay attention to your body, there is no need for a flu shot. If you get the flu, you might need hospitalization, don’t be afraid of that. Problems happen when preg women ignore that they are sick and think that things will go away by themselves (like it does when you’re not pregnant).
I didn’t get the flu shot, and now I have a baby girl.

I hate doctors sometimes. It seems like you always need to do you own research because they don’t know what they should know.

Thank you Pixie. I have been kicking myself, thinking what I could have possibly done wrong. I have been preparing my body for months for this. I totally forgot about that flipping flu shot until I pulled the receipt and made the connection that I started cramping and bleeding that same night that I got the flu shot. That is when I started to do my research. There is tons of information linking the flu vaccination to miscarriage and still birth. I am not one to get sick easily so I’m sure things would have been fine. Now I feel like I am unhealthily stressed. I wish I wasn’t so naive and had looked into things beforehand. I am so sad and I haven’t slept in over 24 hours. I have another doctor appointment in four hours. I guess I have to let go and let God…

Switch, I am so sorry for your loss.

I know that ALL vaccines are controversial…I would just like to add that I did receive the flu shot at the end of my first trimester and had no complications. I work at a children’s hospital, and we literally did not have a choice this year. I can’t say that it was/was not the flu shot that caused your m/c, or just a case of coincidence timing…either way, I am so so sorry you are going through this.

I agree with pixie that you should research and go with you gut.

I pray that you gain strength to move forward and can find healing!

I am so very sorry for your loss. But, I do want to say that it most likely had absolutely nothing to do with the flu shot other than coincidence. There are tons of us on here, myself included, who have had great betas, seen heartbeats, etc. and miscarried. My pregnancy with the highest betas and the most symptoms (the only one where I’ve ever had morning sickness right from the beginning, before I even got a + HPT) was chromosomally abnormal. A great start isn’t necessarily a sign of a pregnancy that’s going to continue. Chromosomal abnormalities account for a huge percentage of early miscarriages.

Swine flu is pretty dangerous in pregnant women, so I hate to see people think that they should skip the vaccine. Maybe wait till second trimester, but I wouldn’t forgo it altogether. I know that you have been doing reading on this, but please remember that you can find evidence of almost anything on the internet. It makes me so sad that you feel like this miscarriage was something you could have prevented, when it most likely wasn’t.

I don’t know if you were able to do this, but they can do testing on the tissue from the miscarriage to tell you if the baby was chromosomally normal. For me, it gave me a sense of closure not to have to worry if it was something I’d done.

I wish you lots of peace and healing.

I am very sorry for your loss it’s horrible what happened to u. However I work in a cardiothoracic ICU and for the past few years have watched many women and babies die bc they contracted H1N1 and didn’t get a flu shot pretty much everything is linked to miscarriage one things for sure I would not risk not getting vaccinated.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree with Kimberf and sorcet you really should not beat yourself up over something that was assuredly not your fault. Are you in a position to get the tissue tested to find out why you miscarried? I have miscarried before and knowing the cause helps, 99% of the time it is not the Mom’s fault. Please don’t put that on yourself.

Our immune systems are naturally suppressed during pregnancy which makes the flu particularly dangerous for Mom and baby. I am getting a flu shot and making sure everyone around me gets one too.

I am soo sorry to hear you are going through this. We suffered through 3 early miscarriages before going on to have our little miracle. When I was pregnant, the huge break out of H1N1 was going on and I was adviced to get the vaccine. I did and did not have any problems. But I think we should be very careful what we choose to do or not do during pregnancy. I was also adviced to get a root canal, but was too scared to. I ended up having to pull that tooth after I had my little one! Don’t give up, keep trying!

[quote=kimberf]I am so very sorry for your loss. But, I do want to say that it most likely had absolutely nothing to do with the flu shot other than coincidence. There are tons of us on here, myself included, who have had great betas, seen heartbeats, etc. and miscarried. My pregnancy with the highest betas and the most symptoms (the only one where I’ve ever had morning sickness right from the beginning, before I even got a + HPT) was chromosomally abnormal. A great start isn’t necessarily a sign of a pregnancy that’s going to continue. Chromosomal abnormalities account for a huge percentage of early miscarriages.

Swine flu is pretty dangerous in pregnant women, so I hate to see people think that they should skip the vaccine. Maybe wait till second trimester, but I wouldn’t forgo it altogether. I know that you have been doing reading on this, but please remember that you can find evidence of almost anything on the internet. It makes me so sad that you feel like this miscarriage was something you could have prevented, when it most likely wasn’t.

I don’t know if you were able to do this, but they can do testing on the tissue from the miscarriage to tell you if the baby was chromosomally normal. For me, it gave me a sense of closure not to have to worry if it was something I’d done.

I wish you lots of peace and healing.[/quote]

I agree that is was most likely coincidence. My dr highly recommended the flu shot when i was only 5 weeks. I did some research too and it all points to how the flu shot is essential to staying healthy during pregnancy.

I am so very sorry for your loss though and I know you must be trying to come up with every possible reason for your loss. Dont beat yourself up because this was in nature’s hands and no way your fault.

I am very sorry for your loss. I, too, suspect that it was coincidence. I had a flu shot when I was 4 weeks pregnant and had no issues.

I do think your thread title is misleading and would hope that you could edit it. When I read it, I thought you were posting irrefutable proof of a link between the flu vaccine and miscarriage. As this is not the case, I would hate for you to scare people away from a potentially beneficial vaccine. Obviously, each individual should do their own research and reach their own conclusions on whether to vaccinate or not and at what stage.

Again, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

I agree with many of the other posters that it was more than likely coincidence. If there were any kind of trend associating miscarriage with the vaccine it would be all over the news. I agree that it would probably give you peace of mind if you are able to have tissue testing done.

Having said that, I refused to get the vaccine throughout my pregnancy in 09 when H1N1 was such a big deal. The thought freaked me out, and no doctor can make you get the shot. Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with during pregnancy…

I also think the title of this is misleading…

Hi Switch - I’m sorry for your loss.

I too recieved my flu shot at 7 weeks after reading info on the web and calling my RE who advised it was fine to take the flu shot. The shot was in the morning and my viability u/s was that afternoon and saw the hb and everything. I’ve had no cramping or anything irregular and the bean is still ok as far as i know. I also think it may be conincidental but you just have to with what you’re comfortable with.

I hope you can get the tissue tested as well just for piece of mind. I didn’t get mine tested earlier this year and I regret it now just b/c it’d be nice to know one way or another.

Again I’m sorry for your loss. I wish none of us knew how it’s like.

First… I’m so, so, so sorry for you loss. And I think if you could do the tissue testing, that would give you some much needed answers about your miscarriage… because I definitely agree with the others… it was most likely a coincidence that you miscarried after the flu shot. My doctor advised me to get a flu shot after the first trimester so that is what I did and had no issues whatsoever. Please don’t blame yourself for this, as others have said, good betas don’t always add up to a viable pregnancy, unfortunately. And you did nothing to cause this miscarriage!! I didn’t have great betas initially and was fortunate enough not to miscarry… you just never know! If a pregnancy is healthy and “meant to be” it can survive thorugh alot! I even had emergency gall bladder surgery at 21 weeks pregnant and I have a beautiful, healthy 6-month old daughter. It can and will happen for you! Sooo sorry for loss and good luck going forward!!

Here’s a really good article on the flu vaccine and miscarriage – basically, there has been NO increase in miscarriages with the H1N1 vaccine over what occurs before the vax was introduced.

H1N1 Vaccine: Counting Side Effects - Science News

Excerpting the first two paragraphs below. The rest is worth reading, but I don’t want the post to be ridiculously long.

Pregnant women are considered at high risk for suffering complications or death from the new H1N1 pandemic swine flu. So they’re near the top of the list for getting vaccinated. A new international study calculates that up to 400 out of every million pregnant women who receive such swine-flu shots will experience a miscarriage within 24 hours.
But not BECAUSE of their flu shots.

These miscarriages would have normally occurred even if the moms-to-be had foregone vaccinations. And that’s because the average background miscarriage rate for any given day (among women far enough along to recognize they are pregnant) is about 397. Or so reports a new international analysis, which appeared online October 30, ahead of print, in the [I]Lancet[/I]. To see an impact of the vaccine on pregnancy losses, miscarriage rates would have to spike well above that roughly 400-per-million figure, it notes.

Not accurate

[quote=Switch]Hi ladies,

I just want to post this for all pregnant women who might be considering getting the flu vaccination. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING THAT DECISION! I wish I had. Here is my story…I recently underwent IVF and transferred two perfect blasts. At 14dpo my beta was 365. At 18dpo beta was 1577. Dr. said levels were awesome and were hinting towards multiple pregnancy. I was later advised by my nurse to get the flu shot. I was hesitant and told her that I had gotten the vaccination in 2009 and it made me sick for over a week so I really didn’t want it. She told me that it is advisable for pregnant women to get the vaccine. WHY DID I LISTEN??? Thursday, November 10th I received the Flu/H1N1 shot (I told the pharmacist that I was pregnant). I started cramping, spotting and had lower back pain that same night. I immediately called the clinician on call. I was put on pelvic rest for the remainder of the night. Friday, I did not have any apparent bleeding. I went to visit my acupuncturist for treatment. Two days later, Sunday night, I started bleeding a lot and cramping again. The following day I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 4 days pregnant. There were two sacs but only one of the sacs contained a fetus and one heartbeat beating strong at 107 bpm. The baby was measuring on schedule at 5 weeks 5 days. Still my doctor was concerned about the bleeding and m/c of the first baby so he put me on bed rest for the next couple of days. I had a complete miscarriage that same night. I am so heartbroken. If only I would have followed my gut and not gotten the vaccination. Never again![/quote]
Switch-

I am very sorry about the loss of your pregnancy. I am also sad to see that you are blaming yourself. Miscarriages are more common than most people may realize, especially in the first 8 weeks. To say that a flu shot increases the risk of miscarriage or even to suggest is causes it is not accurate. Please do not scare pregnant women into avoiding it. Obviously to get vaccinated or not is a personal choice. However, pregnant women do have compromised immunity and the CDC reported that over 300 pregnant women died in 2009 after contracting the flu virus. That particular statistic was for women that did not have any other underlying medical conditions other than pregnancy.

As a woman who struggled with fertility and had to undergo IVF to get pregnant, I understand all the fears about wanting to be so careful about what you put in your body. I had a long discussion with my doctor about getting the flu shot and after looking at the facts, there was no negative for myself or my baby…only potential protection. My argument was that “well doesn’t the flu strain morph every year so how can you say the flu shot will protect me anyway?” The reality is, there are many strains of the flu and to have some protection is better than having none. I got my flu shot a couple weeks ago and I am 27 weeks pregnant. I did not have any side effects and my baby is doing well.

Above all else, unless you are doing something proven harmful to pregnancy (such as doing crack, drinking alcohol, etc.) a miscarriage is simply not your fault.

I wish you the best of luck in the future and pray that you will be blessed with healthy pregnancy and baby.