Pregnant With Twins, Probably Losing One .. 13 Weeks

I am new to this board but just trying to see if anyone else has been down this road. Monday marked my 13th week and so far its been a scary road at time but everything generally went smooth. I am pregnant via IUI (my first pregnancy) and soon after a positive blood test, 2 sacs were seen, and then soon after that 2 heartbeats were heard. Other than some scant light spotting that was of no concern to anyone, things went pretty smooth up until a couple of weeks ago when I had some pretty heavy bleeding. It lasted only an hour or two and then quickly tapered off. 2 days later I had an ultrasound showing 2 completely healthy babies and no signs of any internal problems.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I had some fresh light bleeding but again no cramps and seemed to taper off throughout the day. I had an appt with my regular OB on Monday and he said that everything looked ok. No fresh blood in my vagina, closed cervix, no apparent source of bleeding though there was some “mucousy blood that would not budge” that she poked around a bit with her q-tip.

Then came Monday night I had some pretty profuse bleeding (down my leg kind of profuse) and passed a couple of VERY large clots (like a flattened peach in terms of size and normal clot color in terms of color). I had no pain whatsoever and after the clots had passed the bleeding quickly subsided. The next day I had an appointment with the high risk doctor (already scheduled which is why I did not rush myself to the ER the night before). Only this time the ultrasound was not so positive. One twin (higher up in my uterus) was perfectly perfect in every way. Size, heart rate, fluid level, and even put on a little show for us. The other was no in such great shape. It had a strong heart rate (even higher than the healthier baby) and it was there but the sac was pretty empty of fluid. It had some, but very little. Looking at old ultrasounds, this sac was always with less fluid than the other. I always figured it was because it was closer to the cervix and in a narrower space. The doctor then gave us the bad news that this baby would most likely not survive and that nature was in the process of taking its natural course. She said is should not affect the healthy baby, but there was always that risk, even though not a highly likely one. The biggest concern is that the unhealthy baby is close to the cervix and may try to evacuate, though the doctor said that this even should not harm the other baby.

So I guess that’s my story, very hopeful for one and hanging on to what little hope there is for two.

[QUOTE=LindseyTN]I am new to this board but just trying to see if anyone else has been down this road. Monday marked my 13th week and so far its been a scary road at time but everything generally went smooth. I am pregnant via IUI (my first pregnancy) and soon after a positive blood test, 2 sacs were seen, and then soon after that 2 heartbeats were heard. Other than some scant light spotting that was of no concern to anyone, things went pretty smooth up until a couple of weeks ago when I had some pretty heavy bleeding. It lasted only an hour or two and then quickly tapered off. 2 days later I had an ultrasound showing 2 completely healthy babies and no signs of any internal problems.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I had some fresh light bleeding but again no cramps and seemed to taper off throughout the day. I had an appt with my regular OB on Monday and he said that everything looked ok. No fresh blood in my vagina, closed cervix, no apparent source of bleeding though there was some “mucousy blood that would not budge” that she poked around a bit with her q-tip.

Then came Monday night I had some pretty profuse bleeding (down my leg kind of profuse) and passed a couple of VERY large clots (like a flattened peach in terms of size and normal clot color in terms of color). I had no pain whatsoever and after the clots had passed the bleeding quickly subsided. The next day I had an appointment with the high risk doctor (already scheduled which is why I did not rush myself to the ER the night before). Only this time the ultrasound was not so positive. One twin (higher up in my uterus) was perfectly perfect in every way. Size, heart rate, fluid level, and even put on a little show for us. The other was no in such great shape. It had a strong heart rate (even higher than the healthier baby) and it was there but the sac was pretty empty of fluid. It had some, but very little. Looking at old ultrasounds, this sac was always with less fluid than the other. I always figured it was because it was closer to the cervix and in a narrower space. The doctor then gave us the bad news that this baby would most likely not survive and that nature was in the process of taking its natural course. She said is should not affect the healthy baby, but there was always that risk, even though not a highly likely one. The biggest concern is that the unhealthy baby is close to the cervix and may try to evacuate, though the doctor said that this even should not harm the other baby.

So I guess that’s my story, very hopeful for one and hanging on to what little hope there is for two.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lindsey
I usually post on the 40 and over board but saw your post and I just wanted to wish you all the best with your pregnancy and hope all ends healthy and happy. My hubby and I are on IVf #4:pray: . I really wanted to ask you, if by chance you’re in Tennessee? Saw the TN by you name. I am in MS, and was curious which RE you were seeing(if in fact you are close by). Congratulations on being:preg: !! That is wonderful and I hope a miracle happens and both twins make the journey.

I haven’t had the chance to experience a pregnancy before but I wanted to come in and say I praying that God will heal you and your babies and help them make it through the remainder of your pregnancy and come out healthy and happy.