Prenatal Tests for IVF

Hi Ladies,

I am new to this forum and extremely relieving to know there are so many nice sharing thoughts in here for a better outcome for all.
I am opening this thread to discuss the [B]prenatal genetic tests[/B] usually performed for IUI and IVF cycles for couples.

Me - 31 normal
DH - 34 morphology
Married for 7 years and TTC for 2 years.
Two failed IUIs in Oct-2012 and Dec-2012
Planning to go for IVF with ICSI in Feb or March once my cycle starts.

We are planning to go thru IVF for the first time and below are the prenatal genetic tests performed for us.

1. Cystic Fibrosis for us
  2. Fragile X for me
  3. Spinal Muscular Atrophy for me
  4. Heamoglibin for us
  5. Karyotype for us

All the above tests done came back negative and is told by my doctor that everything is clear.

1. Will there be anyother prenatal tests to be performed, that can help us have a healthy pregnancy with healthy babies?
  2. Has anybody went through Counsyl Test or Inheritest, which is a genetic test that helps to identify if the parents are carriers of any genetic issues.

Thank you

We did Counsyl (which includes all you have already tested for and more)
It’s just a simple blood draw, and worth it if your insurance covers it.
Other “prenatal” testing is PGD/CCS of the embryos as well as additional screens (hopefully) once you are pregnant!

Waitingforbabyb - Thank you the response.

Did you not go through the PDG or CCS test on the IVF cycle?
What exactly is Polyp Removal Surgery and why did you go thru that procedure?

I wish that you have a successful pregnancy, good luck.

Thank you

I am not sure of the name of the test we did - covered what you listed, but also tested to see if either one of us was a genetic carrier (all I know is that it was 12 vials for me :slight_smile: ) as you can see in my signature, I am a carrier of one of the most common ones.
Due to this we had PGD testing done and as of today I am 15 weeks and 1 day pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
We did also opt for the Maternit21 testing just to confirm everything was okay.
Wishing you the very best in the journey :flower:

kbdiadora
kbdiadora - how did you find out that you are a carrier. What kind of tests helped you to find that?
So, does the PGD test covered both CCS and the genetic test for the particular genetic issue?

I am planning to get CCS done, but we have no known carrier screen information with us as we did only the standard test for 5 genetic issues. Not sure if I am missing anything to be covered under CCS.

I do not recall the exact name - I can go through my stuff when I get home - but due to reoccurring mc and at that point being labeled unexplained she wanted to run a Genetic Test on both of us to see if either of us were carriers - that was just blood work and took about a week to get the results back in.

I’m not too familiar with CCS but from what I’ve read it seems similar to PGS (PGS can tell how many of each chromosome are in the cells of an embryo) compared to PGD (PGD is a way to determine whether an embryo is carrying the genetic material associated with a specific genetic disease.)

Speak to your RE if you want to be sure everything and anything were covered…I’m a carrier for Balanced Translocation (just so you can ask them if you were tested for that too)

[QUOTE=TTCWithGreatHope]kbdiadora
kbdiadora - how did you find out that you are a carrier. What kind of tests helped you to find that?
So, does the PGD test covered both CCS and the genetic test for the particular genetic issue?

I am planning to get CCS done, but we have no known carrier screen information with us as we did only the standard test for 5 genetic issues. Not sure if I am missing anything to be covered under CCS.[/QUOTE]

We did Counsyl testing - the last that I heard, the company caps out-of-pocket costs at $99 per individual. We also had karyotypes performed to rule out a balanced translocation as a cause of infertility. We considered having chromosome microarray (CMA) testing done as well (more detailed look for copy number variation), but decided against it for ourselves. We did have antenatal CMA testing on the fetuses. Best of luck to you!

Hi Bethany,

I read about Antenatal CMA Testing, and looks like it si done through CVS or Amniocentisis.

Do you suggest what care should be taken during choosing CVS or Amnioscentisis.

Thank you

Well, CVS is slightly more risky but not by much if you go to someone who is very experienced and does the procedure frequently. Personally, if I was going to consider disrupting the pregnancy, then I wanted info as early as possible. And, with CVS, often the doctor can get enough sample so that the lab does not have to culture it - so you can get an answer within 7-10 days rather than the 2-3 weeks that is sometimes needed with amnio. But, the baby and placenta need to be well-positioned in order to have CVS, and so it is not always an option. I hope that this helps…

[QUOTE=TTCWithGreatHope]Waitingforbabyb - Thank you the response.

Did you not go through the PDG or CCS test on the IVF cycle?
What exactly is Polyp Removal Surgery and why did you go thru that procedure?

I wish that you have a successful pregnancy, good luck.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

We did not do PGD/CCS for our past cycles. And none have given us a baby, so we are going for it all this time. I hate that everything comes down to money—but it’s a $5000 test for PGD and I am not that old. But if I had to do it again I would have went for it.

They found polyps after my D&E when they did a saline sonogram to make sure my ute was clear. The polyps were large enough that my doc wanted to remove them to make a comfy home for the embies. But they didn’t want to stay anyway.

Good luck to you too, it is all so emotional painful.