Proctitis or colitis during pregnancy?

I was diagnosed with proctitis in 2006 and was told it would probably flare-up again during pregnancy. Has anyone experienced proctitis or colitis during pregnancy? Will it harm the baby in any way? I am 26 weeks pregnant right now and have had symptoms for about a week. I forgot to mention to my OB at my last visit. I am planning on calling first thing Monday to let my OB know. Anyone that has experience with this, your input will be greatly appreciated.

I do I have Colitis

I know your question is a few weeks old but I know all about that. OB said for me not to strain with a BM or contract too much. Also wants me to take temp every few hours during flare. Right now I cannot describe what it feels like and on top of that on bedrest. I just have to keep switching my diet up and drinking lots of cider and water. No harm is done to baby but TMI OB said when wiping try to use sanity wipes in that area.

I hope you are doing better.
Esperanza XOXO

[QUOTE=Rubysmom]I was diagnosed with proctitis in 2006 and was told it would probably flare-up again during pregnancy. Has anyone experienced proctitis or colitis during pregnancy? Will it harm the baby in any way? I am 26 weeks pregnant right now and have had symptoms for about a week. I forgot to mention to my OB at my last visit. I am planning on calling first thing Monday to let my OB know. Anyone that has experience with this, your input will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I was diagnosed with UC in 2000, got it under control and then it flared again in the middle of our long fertility journey in 2007 - right before a scheduled IUI. It put everything on hold for nearly 2 years before I could get the inflammation down. I’m in remission right now and hoping it will stay that way if this BFP sticks:cross:.

But, my 1st gastro back in 2000, the head of gastro, at Mount Sinai in New York, one of the countries top hospitals for treating digestive problems, had a wall of photos of over 100 babies who were born to mom’s with UC/ or proctitis who safely used mezalazine suppositories and/or oral mezalazine during pregnancy to control their UC. It is an anti-inflammatory medication with a similar chemical structure to aspirin (5-aminosalicylic acid). Suppositories worked much better for me because they got the medication straight to the problem area!

I know it is hard for most women to think about using medication during pregnancy, but if your flare get’s out of hand, I think most ob’s and gastro’s believe that there are greater risks by letting the flare continue and have a compromise your health - through poor digestion, you get less nutrients to your baby especially if you have diarrhea. Also if it gets inflamed to the point where you are seeing blood you can become anemic and that too can be risky. Make sure you have a good gastro monitoring you too if it continues.

All that said, I discovered that in my battle to get it in remission before pregnancy, that certain foods really can set it off. Milk and dairy being huge culprits. Suger and gluten and anything fried were also big trouble makers.

Hope you feel better soon!!