Progesterone Injections v. Suppositories

Hi all! As you can see from my signature, I’m having my first FET in June. I’d like to know…

1. Which form of progesterone did you or are you planning on using for your FET?
  2. If you’ve used both forms, which do you like better? Why?
  3. Did your RE give you an option between injections or suppositories?
  4. Any research that suppositories are just as effective as injections?

I would appreciate any stories, advice, studies, etc. I want to make the best, informed decision possible and have found this forum to be extremely helpful!

Thanks in advance for your time responding to this post!

I use only suppositories, so far no problems (pregnant, 6w).

Good luck!

Hi,

my RE only does PIO for FET. FOr my fresh cycle I had used suppositories so I was freaked out about the PIO injections. But, I got over it. I think the main advantage of injections is that they can measure your progesterone levels more accurately compared wtih suppositories. Suppositories don’t get into your blood stream (as much) so it’s harder to know how much is in your system. Another advantage for me was that when I used suppositories I had a lot of spotting/bleeding the entire 12 weeks I was on them. The suppositories were probably just irritating my cervix, but it was worrisome to see any spotting. With injections I didn’t have all the spotting.

Pio!!!

[quote=jilleebean]Hi all! As you can see from my signature, I’m having my first FET in June. I’d like to know…

1. Which form of progesterone did you or are you planning on using for your FET?
  2. If you’ve used both forms, which do you like better? Why?
  3. Did your RE give you an option between injections or suppositories?
  4. Any research that suppositories are just as effective as injections?

I would appreciate any stories, advice, studies, etc. I want to make the best, informed decision possible and have found this forum to be extremely helpful!

Thanks in advance for your time responding to this post![/quote]

I would HIGHLY suggest only PIO for the time prior to ET and for 6 weeks post ET. The suppository reps around like to say they are just as good, but there are a couple reasons for PIO instead.

1. suppositories are messy prior to ET and its nice to have a clean environment to pass a catheter with NO chance of contamination into the cavity.

2. absorption of suppositories is a local effect, not a systematic effect- You will NOT pick up progesterone levels in the blood with suppositories.

3. along with #2, there are quite possibly some subtle feedback mechanisms with the endocrine system with progesterone contributes to. Not having systematic absorption can negatively affect this.

PIO isn’t fun, and isn’t pain free, but unless its absolutely intolerable, I would only recommend injectable until clinical pregnancy is established.

barkology - Please explain “subtle feedback mechanisms with the endocrine system” and why this is important.

I have used both but I can no longer do PIO as I had a rare allergic reaction that led to a-typical pneominia and put me in ICU for a week and as a result I miscarried. I did crinone with my last FET it’s just as effective as PIO as I asked my RE and researched it extensively. The only problem with crinone is that it builds up so you have to clean it out every couple of days. Even if I could take PIO, I would still choose crinone.

As you can see from my signature, I just had my first FET a few weeks ago. I’ve been taking synthetic (vs. Sesame Seed Oil) progesterone injections and the suppositories weren’t even an option since I did FET with PGS testing (I guess the success rates were different when the oil wasn’t used).

From what I’ve read, the suppositories are, of course, easier on your body with some weird side affects. The only side affects that I’ve had from the injections are sore hips from where I received the injection (DH has to do it - he’s a pro now). I was told to take the injections at night (9:00pm) but when I complained that I could hardly sit down or sleep on my sides because it was so sore, they told me to make sure to rub the oil in and walk around afterwards to help distribute it. So I started walking stairs and around the house for the 15-20 minutes after the shot and THEN went to bed with a warm compress on it. Definitely helps to walk around afterwards! WOW! What a difference.

So once I have my first Beta test, my RE is going to look into switching me to a more “compounded” formula (1cc vs. the 2cc I take now) or the suppositories.

If you can choose, that’s awesome. If not, just go with the flow and follow your RE’s advice. They know what’s best. :slight_smile:

Hello I’m also doing a fet cycle just waiting for AF to come and my hcg level to drop back down to normal. When it’s time the dr said u will be in lupron. Thsn I will be doing endometrial biopsy “scratching” … I will be on progesteone oil in… As well as using crinone. Also going to be taking estrace 2 mg… Following asprin and my prenatal pill… I’m looking forward doing fet… Best wishes to you

Pio!

Hello,

My RE only does PIO for FETS as well. However, I have had allergic reactions to the sesame seed oil as well as the othyleate. This time they are giving my PIO with olive oil to see if my body accepts it better. I will also take a zyrtec after transfer to see if that helps. I had asked about crinone and he was adamant he would not do a FET transfer without the PIO.

So… I am doing the PIO with a zyrtec.

Good luck!

rach

With medicated FETs, I think they recommend IM PIO. I had done suppositories before with fresh transfers and asked the doctor specifically whether I could do them again this time, and she said that because the pre-FET meds suppress your own progesterone, she insists on PIO shots for the first couple of weeks.

My RE is going to let me do suppositories instead of injections. What a relief! For me, the stress of injections is not worth the advantages of being able to test levels. My RE explained that two suppositories are the same as one injection. I will be doing three/day so I should be covered. RE also said they only did suppositories at her last clinic and had the same results. They also do suppositories at CCRM. I’m feeling good about my decision.

Start Lupron tonight. Day 1 is May 30th. FET on June 14th! Getting excited!

Tmi

I will be doing both the PIO (before ET) and the suppostories after ET.
I am kind of worried abt the vaginal suppostories. I have never eeven used a tampon before so am not very comfortable inserting anything down there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Never used a tampon! What?!? :slight_smile: Anyway, Endometrim comes with an applicator that is long and skinny. Nurse told me to only insert about 1-2 inches. She said not to insert too far or the tablet won’t dissolve very well. If I were you, I’d take a few practice runs without the tablet so that you’re comfortable.

This will be our 4th transfer. We did PIO with our fresh cycle and the following 2 FET cycles. This time I will be doing oral pills and 3x a day suppositories. Our other three cycles were 5 years ago and didn’t even know this existed. For me I think this time will be easier especially since I won’t have to worry about rushing home from work to meet do in time to get the shots. I work 12 hour rotating shifts so at times this is really hard. Not so excited that they don’t come with applicators though as I like things neat, do believe I will snag some gloves from work! Good luck!

Hope this helps!

This will be our 4th transfer. We did PIO with our fresh cycle and the following 2 FET cycles. This time I will be doing oral pills and 3x a day suppositories. Our other three cycles were 5 years ago and didn’t even know this existed. For me I think this time will be easier especially since I won’t have to worry about rushing home from work to meet do in time to get the shots. I work 12 hour rotating shifts so at times this is really hard. Not so excited that they don’t come with applicators though as I like things neat, do believe I will snag some gloves from work! Good luck!

I think injections are absorbed better, but they are painful. However with suppositories you have to annoyingly put them in 2-3x day, and then you get leakage and wet and I got itchy and red from constantly having them ooze out during the middle of the day. Yet the good thing is they don’t hurt.

I’ve used both. In one pg. I had just injections, in another my dr had be use inj and suppositories.

Depends if you can handle painful injections until 12w.

I would go for the inj, rather than suppositories, only because I hate the feeling of always being “dirty” down there. Although, I hate the inj because they are do painful !!