Progesterone Levels

Hi All… Yesterday I received my :bfp: We were soo excited… my first beta was 140. They said I will be 5 weeks tomorrow. However, they said my progesterone level was 26 and a little low. They said I have to increase the crinone to 2x a day. I can’t seem to find out on the internet exactly what a level of 26 means. Can anyone tell me what that means? Should I be concerned? My next Beta is Monday.

My RE said he wanted to see a progesterone level of at least 20 with Crinone. With my successful IVF, my first beta was 806 and my progesterone was 18. I was doing Crinone once a day. They didn’t increase it and weren’t going to test it again. I changed the bloodwork order at my second beta and had it tested again and it went up to 21 (beta was 1592). They still didn’t increase it. I questioned it (and was super freaked and worried!) and they said that the vaginal progesterone simply doesn’t register sufficiently on the blood tests, but the fact that my beta increased appropriately meant things were fine despite the blood tests. I went on to have a perfectly easy pregnancy and a perfect little girl.

Congrats!

[QUOTE=Annie10]Hi All… Yesterday I received my :bfp: We were soo excited… my first beta was 140. They said I will be 5 weeks tomorrow. However, they said my progesterone level was 26 and a little low. They said I have to increase the crinone to 2x a day. I can’t seem to find out on the internet exactly what a level of 26 means. Can anyone tell me what that means? Should I be concerned? My next Beta is Monday.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I could only wish for a progesterone level of 26. An abbreviated explanation of progesterone is that it helps you “keep” the pregnancy. Progesterone tells your body that you are pregnant. If progesterone is too low, your body thinks that the pregnancy should end and you miscarry.

To give you some perspective, my wife and I had an ectopic pregnancy recently with a progesterone of 8. We [I]wanted[/I] the pregnancy to end but even with a lower end number like 8, her body refused to miscarry. Even after a metheltrexate shot it wouldn’t miscarry. So if an 8 was that stubborn, a 26 is solid as steel. I wouldn’t worry.

I’m currently 5 weeks PG from a FET but my betas have been low.

On beta #2, my P4 was only 6.5. My nurse told me that in a natural pregnancy they like to see it between 12 and 20; that if you are using PIO they like to see it over 20; but that if you did a FET and are only using Crinone it can be lower.

She said that PIO is detectable in your bloodstream but Crinone is not and that you could be getting all the progesterone support you need but still have a low blood level bc of that.

They were not concerned with 6.5 as long as my HCG doubled appropriately. I was concerned though so they told me that taking PIO wouldn’t hurt so I’ve added that now nightly–fun!

So, maybe that’s helpful? maybe not? Hope it is! I think my RE would say yours are fine fwiw.

Best of luck!!!

26 is plenty under any protocol I have heard of.

But the level in the blood is not what matters most. The level in the uterus matters. Crinone gets to the uterine tissue pretty directly, and little of the progesterone in Crinone enters the blood. Blood levels are typically very low in patients on Crinone only. Your level of 26 suggests you have another source, perhaps some follicles making progesterone. Follicles make progesterone in the presence of hCG, and that is what sustains pregnancies in natural cycles.

The average progesterone level in the first trimester (supplemented or not) is 25 so you are fine. It never hurts to be extra cautious though and use more progesterone. It isn’t fun, but it won’t hurt anything so…

Oh and that 25 is whatever you are making on your own without the crinone as the crinone doesn’t get into the blood stream, but rather directly to the uterus where it is needed so again you are not only making enough on your own, but then also getting plenty directly to the source in taking the crinone. I say better to have a Doc that is overly cautious though than one that is hesitant to treat you with enough thus risking someone their baby so I think you have a good Doc.

On the PIO in the first trimester mine was a 40. When I stopped taking it mine dropped to an 18 in the second trimester (at about 14wks). They didn’t seem concerned with that even though it was just barely enough, but my baby is fine.