Progesterone oil shots. 1" vs. 1.5" needle?

Hi all,
I’m currently in the 2ww and everything I have read online says to use a 1.5". Needle for the progesterone oil shots yet the nurse atmy clinic said 1" needle are fine. Im no skinny mini so it’s not like I have some tiny rear end and am worried the shots aren’t making it to the muscle.

Has anyone else out there used 1" needles for this?

Also the nurse drew circles on where to administer the shots, does each shot need to be directly in the middle of the circle? This is so painful. I found if I stay I the circle but not take the shot exactly in the middle each night it doesn’t hurt. Anyone know if this is ok?

I’ve been giving myself (my husband travels a lot) the shots for over 4 weeks now. Anywhere in the circle has worked fine for me. I’ve used the 1.5" needles, but I think the 1" should be fine.

Couple of hints -

Don’t administer the PIO too quickly - you’re less likely to get bruising or lumps if you do it slowly.

Alternate sides and sites each day.

Don’t be scared of it, they don’t hurt very much and I think the other shots in the thigh and tummy hurt more.

Don’t freak if a little blood comes out after you withdraw the needle - I think I see at least a drop almost every other time. Once or twice I even had a “gush” of blood, which is scary, but harmless.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

[quote=reston100]Hi all,
I’m currently in the 2ww and everything I have read online says to use a 1.5". Needle for the progesterone oil shots yet the nurse atmy clinic said 1" needle are fine. Im no skinny mini so it’s not like I have some tiny rear end and am worried the shots aren’t making it to the muscle.

Has anyone else out there used 1" needles for this?

Also the nurse drew circles on where to administer the shots, does each shot need to be directly in the middle of the circle? This is so painful. I found if I stay I the circle but not take the shot exactly in the middle each night it doesn’t hurt. Anyone know if this is ok?[/quote]

The injection does not need to be directly in the center. My DH gave the injections to me in several differnet places on my buttocks. I did several things to make it easier when taking the PIO. I alternated sides each day. I used a finger and pressed around the area at which I was going to inject to see if it would be painful. I would ice the area which my DH was going to inject for about 15mins prior. After my injection my DH placed a heating pad over the injection site and massaged the area to help the oil dissipate into the muscle. It did work because I never had any lumps following the shots. Another important thing is to slowly push the oil into the muscle to help with the pain. Once I was able to get this routine down it really was not a problem at all. I used a 1.5" needle which much to my surprise did not hurt either. It is all so scary when it is new! If you need anything please feel free to im me at any time…

Good Luck and :babydust: :babydust: coming your way! :flower:

I used 1 inch needles last time… Much better. I asked the nurse if I could and they were fine with it. I’m also not skinny mini. If you are really worried have your progesterone tested. You’ll be fine!!

I went to pick up some pio last week and there were actually two different types of progesterone- one had a larger needle and the other a smaller. I actually compared the vials and one solution was thicker than the other, so your needle size may be dependant on your specific progesterone.