Progesterone supplementation: is it needed?

Hello, all. I have a question about progesterone and I couldn’t find any clear answers from my RE or Dr. Google: When is progesterone supplementation needed?

My RE prescribed progesterone vaginal caps, but made it sound as if it was up to me. I tend to think that less is better, so not sure I want to start tomorrow (3 days past IUI). Even the start date wasn’t clear, “sometime after ovulation.”

As an alternative, my acupuncturist suggested Emerita Pro-Gest, a natural cream you can rub on your belly once a day. I bought it at Whole Foods.

From what I read online, it seems that extra progesterone is needed when your luteal phase is short, but mine is always between 13 and 15 days. Or could it be that it’s needed with injectable medications?

Please share your thoughts, or any insight you might have, thank you!

People use progesterone because some think it makes your insides “Stickier” so the embryo sticks better. I used it and would again in a heartbeat. Not only because we got pregnant (I have NO idea if that had anything to do with it) but because it can’t hurt, it might help, and I figured if I was going to spend money on treatments I was going to do everything possible to make it work. I would rather do too much than get pregnant, have it not stick and always wonder if this one thing would have helped. Just my opinion. You need to do what’s right for you. Good luck!!:grouphug:

I’ve heard that the progesterone kills sperm cells so I wouldn’t take it any sooner than 2 or 3 days after iui.

most RE prescribe progesterone. they recommend you begin to take it the day after iui/ivf twice a day. you must insert it vaginally or take a shot – depends on which one you are prescribed…

i doubt a RE will prescribe a pill/or shot that will effect your chances of pregnancy if anything help your chances.

i agree with leesh… if you are investing alot in having a baby. then i will definitely follow what the RE ordered…

in your case, i will recommend that you contact your RE to get clarity on what he is telling you.

I’m on the progesterone 2x per day (vaginal inserts) and have wondered about it myself since my RE never tested my progesterone levels until after my BFP (and even then only b/c I asked the nurse to do it!). I know if you don’t have enough progesterone early in the pregnancy it can lead to a miscarriage, so I always assumed my RE’s theory was ‘better safe than sorry’. I think I started the day after my IUI.

I found an interesting article on the subject. Click HERE, but here are some excerps from it. It seems progesterone is required after IVF:

[FONT=arial][B]Luteal phase support with progesterone in IVF[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Progesterone prepares the endometrium for embryo implantation and maintains it in a state that can sustain pregnancy. In women undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation (COH), progesterone supplementation during the luteal phase is required to [/FONT][FONT=arial]support corpus luteal function. COH is part of the IVF regimen where exogenous gonadotropin such as recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone (rFSH) (eg, follitropin alfa filled-by-mass [Gonal-f® FbM], Merck Serono) is used to stimulate follicular development in the ovaries.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]“The reason is that after COH, there is usually a fairly high level of estradiol, which inhibits endogenous secretion of luteinizing hormone [LH]. Without adequate LH, the corpus luteum may not produce enough progesterone to support the luteal phase,” explained So. “Thus, all women undergoing COH need luteal phase support with progesterone regardless of whether gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists or antagonists are used to control inappropriate LH surges that lead to premature ovulation. This is now an important part of the IVF regimen.”[/FONT]

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2]For IUI, their study showed a higer pregnancy rate when using progesterone. [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Arial]From the report[/FONT] "[FONT=arial]If you perform ovarian stimulation in IUI, you probably need luteal phase support with progesterone. Otherwise, pregnancy rates may be compromised because the endometrium may not be favorable for implantation and for the pregnancy to [/FONT][FONT=arial]develop” [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia][FONT=arial]Personally, I agree with the others on playing it safe. I would hate to get a BFP and have it fail b/c of progesterone problems. [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

many thanks

Wow, you gals are the best. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, all. I will start the progesterone caps tomorrow!

Agr, it’s good to see you here! While I’m older than you, we have similar numbers, so I hope that I will follow on your footsteps with a positive test in the near future. You’re my hero! And thank you for posting the link to that extremely interesting study.

[quote=HopefulinNY]Wow, you gals are the best. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, all. I will start the progesterone caps tomorrow!

Agr, it’s good to see you here! While I’m older than you, we have similar numbers, so I hope that I will follow on your footsteps with a positive test in the near future. You’re my hero! And thank you for posting the link to that extremely interesting study.[/quote]

I’m keeping my :cross: for you, HopefulinNY! You seem to produce a good number of follies for the dose you are on. There’s got to be a good one in the bunch! :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:

From what I have read, there is no such thing as too much progesterone (just too little) – you want to make sure not to start it until after ovulation, however, as it can prevent ovulation. Good luck to you!

question about Progesterone as well…

Hi ladies~ I hope it is ok to jump in here with a quick question…I have posted it on the 40plus board but have had no replies…I have been on the 100mg supp 3x daily of progesterone and have had extremely sore , engorged breasts so big I have moved a bra size up…but I hit day 21 of a 26 day cycle and those symptoms have suddenly left!! I went on the progesterone as that happens to me a lot I think I am pg then hit around day 20 and symptoms vanish…its just weird as I know my chances this month are slim to none but I thought until i stopped taking the progesterone they would remain?? my lower back is also very sore today a sure sign af is probably on her way…has anyone anything to share re: the supps…this is my first time using them…thanks to all and wishing you all the best

Dawn - I’m not sure there is much rhyme or reason to the progesterone induced symptoms. I only have 2 cycles to judge from. My first IUI, I had sore, large breasts most of the tww and a bloated tummy, but the soreness went away a few days before my BFN (AF was 2 days after that). My successful cycle, I didn’t have any breast soreness until 10 or 11dpiui. Even then it was mostly noticeable if I wore a sports bra and was more tender/irritated/itchy than actually sore. Not sure there is any correlation between symptoms and lack there of and having a good cycle.

Good luck! :babydust:

My BFP cycle, my sore breasts magically vanished a few days before I was due to have my beta, so I was absolutely certain that cycle was a bust (haha, bust! breasts! punny) – but I was wrong. You really can’t put much stock in any symptoms or lack of symptoms you feel, not only are the unreliable, they can be different from cycle to cycle even if you did nothing different.

[QUOTE=wisteriablossomDawn]Hi ladies~ I hope it is ok to jump in here with a quick question…I have posted it on the 40plus board but have had no replies…I have been on the 100mg supp 3x daily of progesterone and have had extremely sore , engorged breasts so big I have moved a bra size up…but I hit day 21 of a 26 day cycle and those symptoms have suddenly left!! I went on the progesterone as that happens to me a lot I think I am pg then hit around day 20 and symptoms vanish…its just weird as I know my chances this month are slim to none but I thought until i stopped taking the progesterone they would remain?? my lower back is also very sore today a sure sign af is probably on her way…has anyone anything to share re: the supps…this is my first time using them…thanks to all and wishing you all the best[/QUOTE]

Dawn we had our iuis on the same day!! I too have been taking progesterone since the 21st.
I am keeping you in my thoughts :bsv:

thanks for the quick replies! you gals are the greatest! It is soo hard not to over analyse EVERYTHING in the 2ww~~:nerd:
Jules 04~YAY!! An IUI buddy!! how are you feeling? any symptoms from the progesterone? what day are you going to test? My af is due to arrive on jan 2 as I have a 26 day cycle…have been tempted to test soon but after a summer of BFN…in no hurry for the single line :frowning:

Essemekay~thanks for the positive feedback regarding your successful cycle that you also thought was a hehe bust…you are punny!!

Allison~ thanks for your response as well and a big congrats on your BFP!!! well done!!

hopeful in NY~ Yay for another “big sister” on the boards…i hear you on feeling embarrassed for ttc and wondering what people are thinking but I do believe we will see more of us in the future!! who ever told us “eggs” had such a short shelf life!!! :grr:

anyways…feeling like I have to pee more and a bit nauseated…man …this is all normal in my 2ww but I am stressing everything!!! I may go POAS tomorrow just to see…hope everyone has a great night!!!

Good Evening Ladies- Feeling really tired last three days like involuntary nap tired. A little queasy this morning and some cramping on and off. Going to test in the morning.
:pray: that I get a :bfp: if not then progesterone is kicking my butt!

Does anyone else have any signs? Dawn?

:bsv: :cheer: for everyone and keep me in your prayers
:cross:

Good luck, Jules! :pray: and :cross: and lots of :babydust: for you!

[quote=jules04]Good Evening Ladies- Feeling really tired last three days like involuntary nap tired. A little queasy this morning and some cramping on and off. Going to test in the morning.
[/quote]

Well two test and two big fat :bfn:
The RE wants me to stay on progesterone until day 16(2 more days) and test one more time before going off it. To say I am dissapointed is an understatement.
I guess it’s back to the drawing board for January and round three. If it doesn’t work I think we will take a break for a couple months.

Congrats to all you starting the new year with :bfp:
:bsv: to all those still waiting I am :pray: and :cross: for all of you!!!

hey Jules 04~

I finished my progesterone supps last night…today is day 26 which is my normal cycle length…started to spot on day 23…two:bfn: as well…sooo called the clinic today and on to IUI attempt #2…wednesday a.m. my first U/S and will start injectibles again…last IUI or post wash count was a bust!! So hopefully this cycle goes better…how are you feeling?? Any spotting?? HOPING BFP soon for you as well!!

hey Jules 04~

I finished my progesterone supps last night…today is day 26 which is my normal cycle length…started to spot on day 23…two:bfn: as well…sooo called the clinic today and on to IUI attempt #2…wednesday a.m. my first U/S and will start injectibles again…last IUI our post wash count was a bust!! So hopefully this cycle goes better…how are you feeling?? Any spotting?? HOPING BFP soon for you as well!!

Hi Dawn-

Well I haven’t started :af: yet but she’s coming. Today is day 30 and my cycles are 32 days usually. I got really down about it today but it has been only two cycles so far. Stopped progesterone today to make her come sooner. As soon as that happens I’ll call RE and start the Letrozole again then iui#3.

Let’s stay in touch and I’ll be :cross: my fingers for you!!