Progesterone tablets

Hello all! I just had my third IUI yesterday and the RE is prescribing me to start taking progesterone tablets starting tomorrow… My lining was 6.5 so he said they like it to be at least measuring at 7. So I’m to start the progesterone and I’m also taking baby asprin.

Since this is the first time I’ve had to take progesterone, are there any tips and side effects i should know about? I have read online to wear a pantyliner because the meds do tend to leak…

Side Effects = every possible pregnancy / PMS side effect possible. I know that’s probably not what you wanted to hear, but I have (as well as plenty of other ladies) experienced every known side effect similar to pg or pms. Best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten? Don’t look into the side effects, they are all caused from the meds until proven otherwise. You can easily drive yourself crazy dissecting everything…easier to just tell yourself it’s the meds until proven otherwise. Good luck to you!

[QUOTE=Hopeful4Baby23]Side Effects = every possible pregnancy / PMS side effect possible. I know that’s probably not what you wanted to hear, but I have (as well as plenty of other ladies) experienced every known side effect similar to pg or pms. Best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten? Don’t look into the side effects, they are all caused from the meds until proven otherwise. You can easily drive yourself crazy dissecting everything…easier to just tell yourself it’s the meds until proven otherwise. Good luck to you![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the good advice… I would rather know the truth than drive myself even crazier with pregnancy “symptoms”! I will keep your advice in mind during this long 2WW!!!

I agree - progesterone definitely causes pregnancy symptoms like sore boobs and if it’s the vaginal suppositories then they can be very messy. I would definitely recommend wearing a pantyliner!

Ug. I’m bummed to hear this. I just started on Progesterone suppositories and I’m 13DPO. I was thinking my sore, full-feeling boobs was because I was going to get a BFP any day now! :frowning: Good advice though, it is better to know. This is the first I’ve heard that prog sups give you pms/preg symptoms.

[QUOTE=sarahdaisy]Ug. I’m bummed to hear this. I just started on Progesterone suppositories and I’m 13DPO. I was thinking my sore, full-feeling boobs was because I was going to get a BFP any day now! :frowning: Good advice though, it is better to know. This is the first I’ve heard that prog sups give you pms/preg symptoms.[/QUOTE]

Well you never know… So keep thinking positively!! Will you be testing tomorrow?? I just started my first suppository tonight…

Sending :babydust: your way!!!

[QUOTE=sarahdaisy]Ug. I’m bummed to hear this. I just started on Progesterone suppositories and I’m 13DPO. I was thinking my sore, full-feeling boobs was because I was going to get a BFP any day now! :frowning: Good advice though, it is better to know. This is the first I’ve heard that prog sups give you pms/preg symptoms.[/QUOTE]

I agree, you really never know, but honestly all three of my cycles I felt like “this is it” and obviously it wasn’t. Don’t want to bum you out but that was the best piece of advice I ever got, its not real until proven otherwise. It really made my last cycle way easier on me when it was bfn. I really hope you and everyone else have different outcomes, but don’t get hung up on symptoms, most women don’t even experience any symptoms until way after they find out!

Yes i agree its better to know the progesterone does mock pregnancy symptoms. I go insane each month analyzing each “symptom” i think i have and always get disappointed when i get :bfn:

I do have a question… Of course there is no applicator to put these suppositories (sp?) in… How far up to up insert the tablet? I tried putting it as far up as i could but not sure if thats what you are supposed to do? Theres really no instructions that come with it… Besides where to put it LOL!

[QUOTE=ForeverHopeful23]Yes i agree its better to know the progesterone does mock pregnancy symptoms. I go insane each month analyzing each “symptom” i think i have and always get disappointed when i get :bfn:

I do have a question… Of course there is no applicator to put these suppositories (sp?) in… How far up to up insert the tablet? I tried putting it as far up as i could but not sure if thats what you are supposed to do? Theres really no instructions that come with it… Besides where to put it LOL![/QUOTE]

I do mine up as far as i can get it. Also, if you are to take the P4 once a day. My advise is to do it at night right before bed. It will keep the leaking to a minimum. Do wear a panty liner though because some will leak out.

[QUOTE=missingmy#2]I do mine up as far as i can get it. Also, if you are to take the P4 once a day. My advise is to do it at night right before bed. It will keep the leaking to a minimum. Do wear a panty liner though because some will leak out.[/QUOTE]

Ok perfect, thanks! Yeah I’m only taking it once a day and the label did say right before bedtime and to lay for at least 15 minutes without getting up. I didnt have much, or any, leakage so i was worried it put it too far up!

Also, should I wear a pantyliner the whole day, or just at night? Wasnt sure if there would be leakage during the day…

[QUOTE=ForeverHopeful23]Also, should I wear a pantyliner the whole day, or just at night? Wasnt sure if there would be leakage during the day…[/QUOTE]

I’d wear one just incase.

Believe it or not, my clinic had me on THREE of these bad boys a day. Talk a buzz kill to our sex life. My symptoms have been so bad that I talked them into only doing 2 a day. My skin is sooooo bad, I’m ashamed to leave the house. Plus, I’m incredibly nauseous, my boobs are sore, and I’m EXHAUSTED. Now, I’m almost 6 weeks along, so some of that may be pregnancy…but, the skin is definitely the progesterone. It’s awful! I’m on them until June 7th, and I have marked the day on my calendar.

I notice that the one I take before bed usually leaks in the morning. You might want to wear a pantyliner 24/7 for now, and see if you notice the same thing. Then, maybe you can cut back on wearing one during the day.

Sorry about the news that they cause symptoms. I’ve seen many, many women on here get super excited only to have their hearts crushed when they realize it’s the suppositories causing their agony. I think clinics really should include this information in their orientation :frowning:

Best wishes to you all!

I like this thread - I’m on so many medications now I can’t tell which side effect is from which. I went from just having a prenatal to medicine for my thyroid, prolactin levels, progesterone, the injectables, and others.
My doctor did say if my progesterone dose was correct I shouldn’t have “bad” side effects and it should make everything better. The nurse said a correct progesterone dosage boosts libido (bonus for ttc).

I’m not qualified to give advice, but we do have the ability and right to ask about other options. Anyone who has been prescribed progesterone could ask about taking the medicine in other form. Besides your RE, or doctor, or a good nurse practitioner, I always recommend talking to a reputable compounding pharmacist - pharmacists know the most about drugs & their forms. I took my script to a compounding pharmacy & had mine compounded into a topical cream which I rotate rubbing on my inner arm or chest. My doctor knows I prefer not to take a pill which might disrupt my stomach or hurt my digestive system, and I prefer not to take suppositories. Right now the medicine is in syringes, which is a tad annoying. My ideal is a Topiclick - they are the best. (thank you to Oprah & Dr. Phil’s wife for making sure we know about topiclicks) With all the medicine I take, it is nice to have one thing just be an easy lotion! ( I even do the same thing for my cat- no pills for her, only creams or liquids!)

[QUOTE=Francesca13]Believe it or not, my clinic had me on THREE of these bad boys a day. Talk a buzz kill to our sex life. My symptoms have been so bad that I talked them into only doing 2 a day. My skin is sooooo bad, I’m ashamed to leave the house. Plus, I’m incredibly nauseous, my boobs are sore, and I’m EXHAUSTED. Now, I’m almost 6 weeks along, so some of that may be pregnancy…but, the skin is definitely the progesterone. It’s awful! I’m on them until June 7th, and I have marked the day on my calendar.

I notice that the one I take before bed usually leaks in the morning. You might want to wear a pantyliner 24/7 for now, and see if you notice the same thing. Then, maybe you can cut back on wearing one during the day.

Sorry about the news that they cause symptoms. I’ve seen many, many women on here get super excited only to have their hearts crushed when they realize it’s the suppositories causing their agony. I think clinics really should include this information in their orientation :frowning:

Best wishes to you all![/QUOTE]

Man, I can’t imagine taking 3 a day!!! I’ve been on the suppositories now for 6 days (tonight will be 7), and I don’t have that many symptoms; thank goodness!! Right now I am experiencing mood swings (very, very bad… may also be the Clomid… OY!), a little tired, and vivid dreams. Also, I wake up in the morning and have about 3 whiteheads on my face! I’m a little bummed by this because my acne has been pretty under control with all the hormones and Clinique… so I’m glad you mentioned about your face being broken out. I was wondering if that was a symptom and I couldn’t find anything online.

**Forgot to add I’ve been very constipated (read this is a symptom of the suppositories)… and also found another whitehead during the day… great… grrrr

Once again, I am happy everyone said these mock pregnancy symptoms so I’m not getting overly excited. The only thing I did notice yesterday was quick sharp pains in my lower right and left abdomen (happened once on each side) and then another around my belly button. Of course, I read the progesterone can cause stomach pains… so who knows! I’m 8dpo so far…

Also forgot to add… increased urination as a symptom (usually have to go every 2 hrs!). Hmm, is forgetfulness a symptom too since I keep forgetting to add all these things in my response??? LOL