Question about CCS process

Hey girls, I’ve been thinking about PGD and CCS lately. As far as I know most clinics (asides from big ones like CCRM) send the sample away to a DNA lab to get the test done. So here’s my question:

When 5 cells are taken out of the blastocyst — is this part done in the IVF clinic? And then they send the cells to a genetic lab while freezing the blast, is that right? So in that case the blast is only frozen once.

If I were to do mini IVF and get less blasts each time, is it possible to save all the 5 cells samples (frozen?) from different cycles for a one time CCS? Or would I have to pay for CCS per cycle?

Have a feeling this might be a ridiculous question…but I’ve been confused about it for a while… :confused: :confused:

[quote=Pookiepook]Hey girls, I’ve been thinking about PGD and CCS lately. As far as I know most clinics (asides from big ones like CCRM) send the sample away to a DNA lab to get the test done. So here’s my question:

When 5 cells are taken out of the blastocyst — is this part done in the IVF clinic? And then they send the cells to a genetic lab while freezing the blast, is that right? So in that case the blast is only frozen once.

If I were to do mini IVF and get less blasts each time, is it possible to save all the 5 cells samples (frozen?) from different cycles for a one time CCS? Or would I have to pay for CCS per cycle?

Have a feeling this might be a ridiculous question…but I’ve been confused about it for a while… :confused: :confused:[/quote]

it’s not a ridiculous question. I wish that cell samples could be saved from more than one cycle for one CCS testing. But as far as I know it can’t be done at CCRM. But what can be done is that you can bank embryos on Day 2 and then grow them with your next fresh cycle when you are ready to do CCS.

Maybe there some other clinic that does it differently?

Thanks! We will consider embryo banking. I wonder what the survival rate of thawing day 2 embie is? With vitrification, does the day 2 embie have the same chance as blast when it comes to freezing?

I looked into doing CCS testing at RMA (in CT) and they will let you do embryo banking with CCS. The way it works is they biopsy on day 5, freeze the blastocysts and send all the biopsies off to their lab in NJ at once (after multiple ERs). That way you only pay the CCS fee once, although you still pay for the biopsy each time.

Correct. They take a few cells, perhaps 5, from a blastocysts, fix the cells, and ship them to a genetic testing lab. The embryos remain at the clinic.

And then they send the cells to a genetic lab while freezing the blast, is that right?

Often true, but not always. Some can still do a fresh transfer when the results come back. Nothing wrong with freezing, though.

So in that case the blast is only frozen once.

Usually true, but not always. The blastocyst might have been developed from an earlier frozen embryo in some cases. In that case it will have been frozen again.

There is some limit to the package price for embryos. It might be 8 embryos? Probably varies depending on the testing lab. Above that limit, the price is per embryo. But you are correct that saving up more embryos for one test would reduce the cost per embryo, and reduce the total cost of getting multiple batches of embryos tested. Clinics know this.