Question About How Many to Transfer

My wife and I have a 3 year old child but have been having issues trying for our second for over a year and a half. No one really knows the cause but We have tried 5 iuis with no success and now are getting started on ivf. We really want to avoid twins and have heard many stories about people who put in 2 embryos and got twins vs. one baby. If we get a great blastocyst do you think it’s best to put in one embryo or two? Any feedback with real life experiences or knowledge in this area would be helpful. Thanks.

One good blast is often a good idea.

SART and ASRM have guidelines on the maximum number to transfer. With blastocysts, the maximum is generally one for good prognosis cases in patients under 35 years old, and two blasts in other cases. That applies whether fresh or frozen.

My husband and I just had our ET today and were going back and forth with the same question. I wanted to do two, and he wanted one as twins isn’t something he feels would be easy. We agreed that depending on the quality of the eggs this would determine what we put back. If excellent quality we would put just one back, and if just ok quality we would put two back.

Our RE said that the quality of 2 were excellent and so we went with just the 1. We ended up with 12 to freeze today, which also had a factor on putting just one back.

This can be a tough process, and I hope and pray that you and your wife get your :bfp:

My RE said that the odds of success when transferring 1 blastocyst are 25-30%. when transferring 2, the odds are 50%-60%, with 25% chance of twins.

There were several similar threads in just the last few month, including a survey on how many embryos where transferred and how many babies resulted. You might be able to find them.

If you really want to avoid twins, definitely just one blast.

I think it depends on many factors like age, any medical conditions that you or your wife may have, the quality of the embryos, how many you retrieve and finances. Hopefully, your RE can assess your situation and give you guidance on what number will give you guys the best chance for success. While 1 guarantees that you will not have twins, doing one may not give you the best chance of getting a :bfp:. But there are people who have done 2 and 3 and still got a :bfn:. That is the hard part about this process, we don’t have as much control as we want.

I would say that if you really want to avoid twins, then you should only transfer 1 embryo.

My last 2 transfers I did 2 each time and ended up with two sets of twins! One was a fresh cycle and one was frozen. I was okay with twins the second time so that’s why we did 2 again… and two is what we ended up with!

I am new to this forum but wanted to share my recent experience. I am 28 and just went through my first IVF. I’m currently in the 2ww. My husband and I thought long and hard about how many to transfer. We had several excellent blasts so we decided to transfer only one and freeze the others. I know our chances were greater with two, but we also didn’t want to risk having twins. My doc fully supportedthe 1 transfer given my age and quality of the blast. It was such a difficult decision but I know we made the right choice!

[QUOTE=Jtl3808]My wife and I have a 3 year old child but have been having issues trying for our second for over a year and a half. No one really knows the cause but We have tried 5 iuis with no success and now are getting started on ivf. We really want to avoid twins and have heard many stories about people who put in 2 embryos and got twins vs. one baby. If we get a great blastocyst do you think it’s best to put in one embryo or two? Any feedback with real life experiences or knowledge in this area would be helpful. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Transferring one blast is definitely advised if you want to avoid twins, especially since you have had a successful pregnancy before. HOWEVER there is an approach that will probably yield heightened success odds if you are not averse to the idea of abortion.

You can transfer 2 embryos and if you have twins, you can selectively reduce the pregnancy down to one. In a lot of cases, this might actually give you the highest success chances. Transferring more than 1 embryo will increase your chance of pregnancy considerably if you have any suspicion that you might have egg/sperm issues. However, there is currently some debate in the medical community as to whether selective reduction in twin pregnancies can actually have a small chance of interrupting both embryos instead of one (around 3 percentage points, if it is in fact true at all). Selective reduction in trips definitely is known to have a chance to interrupt other embryos.

If you and your wife are “pro life,” then selective reduction is irrelevant.

[quote=Nilah. While 1 guarantees that you will not have twins.[/quote]

NOT true. There are several women on here who put back one blast, had it split, and ended up with identical twins. Not as likely, true, but still possible.

HI,
I had 2 perfect quality embryos put back, and only 1 took. You just never know. Sometimes not both make it - so you can start with 2 and lose one (not that its something you should plan on). But again, you just never know.
Im currently 22 weeks preg with my perfect little 1.

I have experience with transfering 3 embryos. My hubby and I ended up with a singleton pregnancy. My age was the main contributing factor as to why we transfered three embryos but it worked which is all that counted in the end.

Good luck to all of you!