Question about IVF cycle

I am starting my 1st IVF cycle and after meeting with the Dr. he discussed frozen embryo transer for future use or if 1st cycle failed. And also mentioned you do not have to take as much meds and are not expensive said I would take Lupron but I hear that’s not covered by insurance and is very expensive. All these meds are making us broke. Can anyone offer there experience?

Thanks,

Nydia

[quote=nydianalex]I am starting my 1st IVF cycle and after meeting with the Dr. he discussed frozen embryo transer for future use or if 1st cycle failed. And also mentioned you do not have to take as much meds and are not expensive said I would take Lupron but I hear that’s not covered by insurance and is very expensive. All these meds are making us broke. Can anyone offer there experience?

Thanks,

Nydia[/quote]
Nydia- First off, I hope your IVF works. But second off, just so you know only 30% of couples have anything left to freeze, so this may or may not apply to you. I only say this because I was terribly disappointed to never have Frozens- particularly on my first cycle. Until I found out it was very normal.

Lupron was always covered for me by insurance and for some ladies it is the only thing covered as it is approved for things besides fertility. And if it wasn’t, you wouldn’t need very much of it (only one bottle). You may even be able to have it donated by another person at your clinic. (Lots of RE’s do this.) I am not sure of the price of one bottle of Lupron, but since it’s available in a generic already as it’s been out for years, I find it doubtful it is that expensive. I feel like maybe a few hundred at most.

The other thing you would still need in a FET is Progesterone. I know my PIO was only $85 or something like it when I bought a bottle once.

There are also fees associated with cryopreserving (freezing_) embies which differs clinic to clinic, so be sure to budget for those if things are tight also.

Good luck.

Like Jess said, Lupron is one of the only meds that was covered by my insurance. And since it’s available in generic I paid $10. Even if it’s not covered it is far far less expensive than the stims - they are the most expensive part of a fresh cycle.

I was also very disappointed my first cycle when we didn’t get any frozens. We finally got 2 to freeze in my 3rd cycle. It is very common not to get any to freeze so just keep that in mind. Hopefully your fresh cycle works and you get a few to freeze for the future!

Good luck!

Thank you for all your responses I’m keeping my fingers :cross:

Nydianalex: Although Lupron is the only medication covered by my insurance, I have done a lot of research on prices of fertility meds. On freedom fertility’s website, they list Lupron for $129, which isn’t too bad in the scheme of things. Heck, I wish my insurance would pick up the more expensive drugs, cuz I’d gladly pay the $129…lol

Lots of luck though and hopefully you won’t need the FET! :flower:

Like the others…lupron was the only med that my insurance covered as well. And i too needed just 1 bottle of lupron.

The other meds are darned xpensive and insurance doesn’t cover them.

The pharmacy folks told me that once i had a successful cycle, i should request my Dr to presecribe the suppositries ( which have to be taken for most of the 1st trimester) for me , in which they will be covered. So you too could try that.