Questions about Trigger Shot

What size gauge needle did your RE have you use for your trigger injection? My RE called in a 23 g. 1 1/2 inch long needle. My husband is concerned that the needle is too big and the liquid will seep out when he pulls the needle out. Could this happen? His thinking is that the smaller the needle, the less likely the fluid will leak out.
Where did you do your injection? Hip, thigh, etc? My RE is having us use Novarel (HCG) 10,000iu.

I also have another question. Does taking the trigger shot guarantee ovulation? We are scheduled to do the trigger injection tonight at 10pm and will then be going in for the IUI Monday morning at 10. Will they do a quick ultrasound to make sure I O’d prior to doing the IUI?

Oh gosh, i can’t remember the size of mine. I know i had a larger mixing needle and then a injection needle. I thought the injection one was huge, but really its not. Your doctor should have told you where to do the injection. Some like the hip and some like to use the stomach. But my guess with that big of a needle its in the hip.

Basically, yes a trigger does. I mean sure you could be one of the few that it doesn’t. But those people are few and far between.

The ultrasound depends. I’ve had 5 IUI’s and have NEVER once had a ultrasound to see if i am or about to ovulate before my IUI.

Goodluck

[quote=missingmy#2]Oh gosh, i can’t remember the size of mine. I know i had a larger mixing needle and then a injection needle. I thought the injection one was huge, but really its not. Your doctor should have told you where to do the injection. Some like the hip and some like to use the stomach. But my guess with that big of a needle its in the hip.

Basically, yes a trigger does. I mean sure you could be one of the few that it doesn’t. But those people are few and far between.

The ultrasound depends. I’ve had 5 IUI’s and have NEVER once had a ultrasound to see if i am or about to ovulate before my IUI.

Goodluck[/quote]
Thanks for the quick response! He did inform us that it needs to be intramuscular injection and lord knows I don’t have any muscle in my stomach, lol. They told us either hip or thigh. I was just wondering if there was a prefered spot by woman that have tried both.

Glad to know that I will most likely O with the injection. I have been so scared thinking it may not work.

Oops, forgot to ask one more question. How long does the HCG stay in your system from the trigger shot. I know it will give off a false :bfp:if taken too soon, but how soon is too soon? I won’t be going in for my test to my RE’s office until the day after Christmas but I would love it if I could test at home on at least Christmas Eve!

I have never done mine in my thigh, only my hip. Ok well my husband has given me the hip ones, because well i couldn’t reach and i was scared. but its painless.

About how long a trigger stays around. That depends really and can really be different each cycle. I would say by 14 days past trigger you should be find to test. But you always run the chance of getting a line that is still the trigger. I avoid getting trigger lines, i’ve always bought cheap test and tested my trigger out. That way i know when the trigger is gone. Christmas Eve should be 12dpIUI and 14dptrigger for you.