Questions on SART Scores?

Hi There, Can anyone out there help me to understand the real deal about SART scores? I am 38 (unexplained fertility - no issues with my hubbie or I, but have been trying for 2 years with no luck conceiving!!). I am evaluating RMA of NY and Cornell Weill for IVF. Cornell Weill regularly shows up in all of the literature as one of the top fertility centers in the country, however, there SART scores are actually lower than RMA of NY. I don’t get this?? Which is more accurate - the “reputation” of Cornell Weill or the actual SART scores? The one thing I do see in the SART scores is that Cornell Weill treated almost 1,000 more patients in 2010 (the latest published that I can find) vs. RMA. So, Cornell Weill did 2500 IVF procedures vs. RMA with 1500. Maybe this skews the results, but not sure. Can someone please help me understand this? I need to make a decision very soon…Thanks!!!

I would take a look and see if either one is known for cherry picking and won’t accept certain clients. You can also get their stats for certain diagnosis (ie unexplained) and compare those as well.

[QUOTE=unjour;n2603999]I would take a look and see if either one is known for cherry picking and won’t accept certain clients. You can also get their stats for certain diagnosis (ie unexplained) and compare those as well.[/QUOTE]

^^This. Some clinics only accept patients they feel will have a greater chance of getting pregnant so their SART scores are higher. Personally, I would go with who had the best combination of SART, reputation and saw the most clients with your diagnoses. I’d probably lean towards Cornell.

Doesn’t seem like either cherry pick to me - I had no issues seeing either practice. I wil see if they list SART scores for unexplained infertility (not sure if it’s broken out that way). I will say that in my experience thus far, Cornell Weill seems more thorough with testing, protocol, etc. and their medical care is very good, but they are not nearly as responsive, organized or accessible as RMA and that can be incredibly frustrating. With RMA, you can literally e-mail the docs if you have a question and they get right back to you with anything you need. Cornell Weill can take days to respond at times and I often get conflicting information from staff and nurses - it has left me second guessing some things with Cornell Weill, but I do love my physician there (even though I don’t always see him). Anyway, this whole process is daunting and I am eager to make a decision. Thanks for the advice!

I can tell you that Cornell takes many tough cases . . . women with DOR, high FSH, and few follicles, so that may suppress their stats a bit. I have heard very good things about Cornell. Also SIRM-NY has a good reputation.

I don’t know about the other clinic you mentioned, but I know that Cornell does not cherry pick. They treated me with an FSH of 32 at 37 years old. They would have continued to treat me if requested. I think they are a very good clinic. The only thing I would caution about Cornell is that their lab does not use vitrification, so if you are someone who may make several embryos (I was never this person), I would want to have them frozen in a lab that does use vitrification.