Questions to Ask at First Consult

Hi Everyone! My DH and I are scheduled for our first IVF consult next Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or suggestions about questions to ask during our appointment? Our issue is mostly MF. I’ve got all of the regular stuff, am I a candidate for mini-ivf, what do package include, what the details of the process are, etc… but what else would you have wish you asked your doctor before you began your IVF?

I figured there are so many supportive people on these boards with amazing knowledge about IF so I should pick your brains! :slight_smile: Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=OhForCakesSake]Hi Everyone! My DH and I are scheduled for our first IVF consult next Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or suggestions about questions to ask during our appointment? Our issue is mostly MF. I’ve got all of the regular stuff, am I a candidate for mini-ivf, what do package include, what the details of the process are, etc… but what else would you have wish you asked your doctor before you began your IVF?

I figured there are so many supportive people on these boards with amazing knowledge about IF so I should pick your brains! :slight_smile: Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Hey there,
I would make sure you get thorough bloodwork to include thyroid testing. Ask the RE if he does a hysteroscopy with a biopsy. My RE does the biopsy along with it because he wants to make sure the lining of the uterus is not inflammed or has an infection. It also is a practice run for the doctor to see the direction of your cervix and uterus for your transfer. I have also found out that the biopsy also helps for implantation after your transfer. The biopsied area helps for new tissue to be exposed for the blast to implant.

Try to get a list as well as dosage of the meds at which you will be on for your ivf. This way you can check and see what drugs are covered by your insurance. Not all drugs are covered but some are so check it all out!

Good luck and baby dust to you!

1. Find out the ease of appointments. The clinic I used to go to for IUI’s gave me a hard time with the appointments. That place used to be crowded and the doctor was available only few hours a day since he also worked at a hospital. I switched to another clinic for IVF since ease of appointments was very important, given that I had to go for checkups more than 10 times a cycle.
  2. Ask about the means of communication. See if the RE uses email.
  3. Ask about special offers. Some clinics have buy 2 get 3 type of offers.

I would suggest finding out exactly what your insurance does and does not cover before your appointment. There were tests my first RE chose not to run because he said they were too expensive to justify and my insurance would not cover them. Well he turned out to be wrong. We did the testing with our 2nd RE and even though we don’t have fertility coverage, the diagnostic blood work ended up being covered 100%!

Find out if you will be seen by the RE for monitoring or an ultrasound tech. I feel like for how much money I paid, I should have face time with the RE every time I was in the office. I got annoyed when I felt like I was being treated by the nurses instead of a doctor.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find quick answers!

Great suggestions, thank you! I didn’t have most of those on my list :slight_smile: Yes, I am one that will bring a list with me! haha thanks again!

[QUOTE=OhForCakesSake]Great suggestions, thank you! I didn’t have most of those on my list :slight_smile: Yes, I am one that will bring a list with me! haha thanks again![/QUOTE]

Lists are a great ting to have ready for this type of doctor. I find I get more info and less time is wasted and more answers you have in the end. I have them handy every time! Good luck!