Random question

So I had a laparoscopy last Friday. All week I have been feeling heat around my belly button. I forgot to bring it up at my post op appt. Is this normal? Does it mean that the incision is healing? I don’t have a fever but when I touch my stomach you can feel the heat. When will it stop? It’s very uncomfortable.

If it’s red and tender, you could have a mild wound infection. Generally, the worst case scenario is that the skin will open up and the infected material will drain. It will heal quickly from the bottom up. (I am a surgeon, but trying not to be too graphic.)

Don’t panic, but I would probably give my doc a call on Monday and see if he/she/or his/her nurse can take a look at you. Never hurts!

[quote=lucyddr]If it’s red and tender, you could have a mild wound infection. Generally, the worst case scenario is that the skin will open up and the infected material will drain. It will heal quickly from the bottom up. (I am a surgeon, but trying not to be too graphic.)

Don’t panic, but I would probably give my doc a call on Monday and see if he/she/or his/her nurse can take a look at you. Never hurts![/quote]

My RE said it’s just because I’m healing and I will probably feel this for at least six weeks. Luckily it wasn’t red or anything.

Well, that’s good. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to bother you at all, make sure you get it looked at again. When I had my lap, I didn’t get an infection or anything, but I had a minor skin reaction to the surgical tape they used to hold the gauze on. I got little blisters everywhere it touched my skin. I’d never had a reaction to anything like that before, but something changed somewhere down the line, because since then I’ve noticed I have to be careful what kind of bandages I use.